March 26, 2019, 07:54:50 PM

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 9637 times)

Offline hightowerra

• Waygookin
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »

I've had to CoTs read the contracts, too, to make sure the Korean didn't say something different from the English. They both agree with how I'm interpreting it and think we should be getting 26+5 according to the language in the contract.

Exactly! I checked this too just to be sure, since the contract itself even says that it's only the Korean parts that are binding. My cos confirmed it says the same thing in English and Korean. Makes absolutely no sense.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
"please sign this legally binding contract which is in a language you can't understand"

Online belocean11

• Explorer
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
Has anyone's POE/MOE actually confirmed that renewing teachers will get 26 + 5 for the new school year?  I just had a quick look back through the thread and can only see that Chungcheongbuk-do has refused it.

According to my friend in the DMOE February renewals were given 26 (new contract)+5 (renewal). They had to use those 5 days within the first 6 months or they lost them. However, because of the removal of school holidays clause, those 5 days will most likely be put towards school red days (not national red days) during the first semester.

Online Colburnnn

• Waygookin
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
...those 5 days will most likely be put towards school red days (not national red days) during the first semester.

Who is making that decision? School or us? I would come in to desk warm instead of making my actual vacation shorter. If they don't want me to come in, I would ask for it unpaid.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:40:01 AM by Colburnnn »

Offline TeacherJames29

• Explorer
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
Hello all.

I just looked at my contract from the Gwangju MOE and it appears that school discretionary days will not count against our vacation days. Well, if I am reading this statement correctly:

"During the school semester, the Employer may allow the Employee to not come to work on the  day(s) when the school s closed for in-semester school holiday(s), school anniversary day(s), etc., and these days will not be considered part of the Paid Leave set forth in the foregoing clause."

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
In my province all the ct's got this file, and it says this in Korean (no translation provided)...

나. 연차유급휴가(26일): 교육과정에 지장이 없는 방학 및 재량휴업일, 개교기념일 등 휴무일에 사용할 수 있도록 안내(※ 휴가 일수가 남지 않도록 유의)

So I don't think school holidays, and discretionary days, won't be taken away from the 26 vacation days. However, nothing mentioned about the 5 extra days for renewal in that file.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
Hello all.

I just looked at my contract from the Gwangju MOE and it appears that school discretionary days will not count against our vacation days. Well, if I am reading this statement correctly:

"During the school semester, the Employer may allow the Employee to not come to work on the  day(s) when the school s closed for in-semester school holiday(s), school anniversary day(s), etc., and these days will not be considered part of the Paid Leave set forth in the foregoing clause."

That's the old contract, in the new contract that was taken out, which is a cause for concern.

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
Gangwondo just sent out it's memo about the vacation day changes:
"1. From 2019 on-wards, paid leave will be 26 days for both new and renewing teachers per year
 2. Renewal bonus days of 5 days no longer applies. It's just 26 days each year for everyone.
 3. The changes will be made effective for all teachers who signed their current contracts AFTER May 29th 2018. So, all Fall EPIK teachers (Aug, Sept, Oct) regardless of whether they are new or renewing, will have 26 days of paid leave for their current contract term. Example) Bob renewed his August contract in 2018. He used up 10 days so far. He has 16 more days to use up before his current term of employment ends in August 2019.
 4. The changes will apply to Spring Intake teachers AFTER they renew their contracts in February/March 2019. Non-renewing Spring teachers do not get additional paid leave vacations unfortunately.
 5. From now on, NETs will have to use their paid vacations for total school closure days: like school anniversaries."

I'm hoping my school just forgets about #5.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2019, 05:58:45 AM »
Let's wait and see how spring hiring goes.  Some posters had said they heard EPIK had a shortage of teachers.  If it happens again this spring, I'd say you'd have more power to begin pushing back against some of the more ridiculous clauses.  But, we'll see what happens there.  I guess we won't know until April or May or so?  It would be great if it were true and not just a rumor.  It would put the ball back into the English teachers court for the first time since the Great Recession gobsmacked and ruined everything flooding the market.  I'm still not holding out hope.  Things are probably changed forever.  But, if it were true, it'd be easier for a lot more of you to start pushing back. 

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
Gangwondo just sent out it's memo about the vacation day changes:
"1. From 2019 on-wards, paid leave will be 26 days for both new and renewing teachers per year
 2. Renewal bonus days of 5 days no longer applies. It's just 26 days each year for everyone.
 3. The changes will be made effective for all teachers who signed their current contracts AFTER May 29th 2018. So, all Fall EPIK teachers (Aug, Sept, Oct) regardless of whether they are new or renewing, will have 26 days of paid leave for their current contract term. Example) Bob renewed his August contract in 2018. He used up 10 days so far. He has 16 more days to use up before his current term of employment ends in August 2019.
 4. The changes will apply to Spring Intake teachers AFTER they renew their contracts in February/March 2019. Non-renewing Spring teachers do not get additional paid leave vacations unfortunately.
 5. From now on, NETs will have to use their paid vacations for total school closure days: like school anniversaries."

I'm hoping my school just forgets about #5.

So were you told that renewing teachers won't be getting their promised 5 bonus renewal days?  Has anyone questioned the Gangwondo office of education about it?

If my school follows this new rule then I'm pretty sure I'm going to have less vacation days than before lol.   

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »

So were you told that renewing teachers won't be getting their promised 5 bonus renewal days?  Has anyone questioned the Gangwondo office of education about it?

If my school follows this new rule then I'm pretty sure I'm going to have less vacation days than before lol.

I'm not renewing so I don't really care, but if I was renewing I'd probably be kicking up a stink.  I don't get how they can just pretend a part of the contract no longer exists.

As for #5, we did get a bit of an update from the POE, it "only applies after contract renewal, so August contracts should not be affected by it next semester."   But I can just see that turning into a clusterfork of confused admins/cots.
(Edited because I can't count) Based on how my schools' schedules worked out this year I only had two days of discretionary holidays, that would have left me with 24 days of vacation under the new system (Yay, bonus day!). But I can definitely see people being left with less than 23 if they're unlucky.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:13:37 AM by elsbethm »

Offline eldudebros

• Newgookin
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
This is my first time posting so sorry if I make any mistakes! I'm currently finishing up a contract in Gyeonggi-do but will be moving to Seoul (with EPIK) from March 1st.

I'm really confused about this vacation day thing because people say it's a labour law thing but I just got my Seoul contract today in the post and it says 21 days vacation. How can that be if the law has changed to make it 26? Anyone else working in Seoul know anything about this?

Online DaStrongOne

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
GOE sent a memo similar to the Gangwon-Do one posted earlier.

The +5 renewal is included in the 26.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
GOE sent a memo similar to the Gangwon-Do one posted earlier.

The +5 renewal is included in the 26.

That's what Chungcheongbuk-do saying, too, and that's the contentious bit. Both renewing and brand new teachers get the 26, so it doesn't quite make sense to say that contracted renewal bonus days are included in that amount. I don't think it's ultimately going to do any good to complain about it, though.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
If we had a contract that said we'd get a 2.7 mil a month plus a one-time 1.2 mil KRW bonus the next year if we renewed, but then everyone got a 100k KRW a month raise across the board the next year so the POE said "You're not getting the renewal bonus, because it's included in the new 2.8 mil a month," how would people be reacting? That's what's happening here but with vacation days rather than monetary compensation, and there's pretty much f*ck all we can do about it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:56:13 PM by Mister Tim »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Some posters had said they heard EPIK had a shortage of teachers.

ONE poster wrote that. In a thread about a guy who had just been rejected by EPIK.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »
The funny side of this for me is that if I think about all the days I come to school and I have no classes (all cancelled for one reason or another) there are probably 20 per year.  Maybe more.  That's not even including deskwarming during holidays.

So I don't know what the offices of education think they're losing if they let us have those five days.  Because they're not missing out on us teaching for five days, trust me  :laugh:

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
Some posters had said they heard EPIK had a shortage of teachers.

ONE poster wrote that. In a thread about a guy who had just been rejected by EPIK.

I'm leaving and my co-teacher tried to persuade me to stay. He is worried and convinced that they won't have a new NET next cycle, which makes me think there is a shortage, but the program will continue to shrink and wages will stagnate. They've made it pretty clear that they would rather see good NET's walk instead of incentivizing people to stay (with contract upgrades). I suppose they feel they have enough "fluent" KET's to fill the gap.

Offline TeacherJames29

• Explorer
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
That's the old contract, in the new contract that was taken out, which is a cause for concern.
[/quote]

No, this is the contract starting at the end of February 2019. Read Article 14 section 5 (Page 7). This is specifically the Gwangju contract, not all contracts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:59:31 PM by TeacherJames29 »