March 27, 2019, 08:25:27 AM

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 9646 times)

Offline CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
"It's out of our hands. If you still have a problem, file a formal complaint with EPIK."

Excellent way to deal with everything!  :rolleyes: :laugh:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2018, 02:59:40 PM »
I have a problem. Just talked to my co-teacher. The co has no idea about the new renewal changes (nothing new). I myself am a bit confused. I am with the DMOE. I started with EPIK in May 2018. I believe I do get the 5 renewal days for this year right? And from next year, I have no renewal days and just a the 26 days instead of the 18 holidays?

Someone clarify please. Because now I'm doubting whether I understand what's going on!  :laugh: :cry:

The best thing to do is have a look at the contract you signed when you started in May 2018 and look for this:

In the case of renewal of this Contract pursuant to the forgoing clause, the Employee shall be given five (5) working days paid leave which shall take place during the nearest school vacation after the start of the renewal contract...

If you see this (it's Article 10 I think) then you are due those five days to be taken in the next contract period (2019 to 2020).

The same wording is in the Chungcheongbuk-do PoE's contracts, and the line they're taking is "That only applies to the current contract period; a contract can't guarantee anything outside of its contract period (ie a 2018 contract can't promise rewards for a 2019 period)." I tried pointing out that the language of the contract (the English and the Korean) states the renewal days are for the next year and not giving them seems like breach of contract, and was pretty much told "It's out of our hands. If you still have a problem, file a formal complaint with EPIK."

Ah so their respsonse is "tough sh*t" in essence.  Classic.

It's funny because the renwal bonus (money) is given to us outside of its contract period so why not those days as well.  Why bother signing contracts if they can pick and choose what we receive haha  :laugh:

Offline pizzaman

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2018, 03:24:20 PM »
Take it to the labor board or something legal. You people with the bonus days being declined seem to have a strong case I would say. Of course it would be about the cost and effort of bring up a case/complaint versus any potential benefit gained.

The bonus days and renewal bonus were guaranteed to you upon renewal. Renewal is dictated by the old contract.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »
The bonus days and renewal bonus were guaranteed to you upon renewal. Renewal is dictated by the old contract.

I was just thinking about this. If the reason we're being told we won't receive our renewal days next school year is because a contract can't guarantee benefits/rewards to be granted in a separate contract period, should we be worried about our cash bonus, too? Technically that's a reward to be granted during the next contract period, but that's apparently something they're not standing by anymore.

Ugh. I hate making a fuss. I don't want to have to deal with this nonsense.

Online purpleparrot

• Adventurer
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »

I was just thinking about this. If the reason we're being told we won't receive our renewal days next school year is because a contract can't guarantee benefits/rewards to be granted in a separate contract period, should we be worried about our cash bonus, too? Technically that's a reward to be granted during the next contract period, but that's apparently something they're not standing by anymore.

Ugh. I hate making a fuss. I don't want to have to deal with this nonsense.

I was actually thinking about this too, especially because they split up the payment.   I think we will get the 1,300,000 won the first month of our new contract (March 2019).  However we don't get the rest (700,000 won) until we complete the renewal contract, so for most of us that would be March 2020.  However what if the 2020 contract comes out (at the end of this year) and it changes the renewal bonus to less than 2 mil?  What if it's only 1,300,000 won (for example).  Now by the wording of the 2019 contract we should still get the 700,000...but seeing as they've disregarded old contracts before, what's to stop them from saying, oh well we are going by the 2020 contract rules...

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »
I think in Seoul, they don't even get the renewal allowance.  So, I guess they don't have to worry about it.

Offline ISHKABIBBLE

• Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
Does anyone have access to information on this new law that spurred the changes?
Iíll take Korean, English or both.

Also, I saw the GPOE contract as well as the DMOE contract. Does anyone else have contracts from other regions that they would be willing to share?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:13:45 AM by ISHKABIBBLE »
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »
has anyone in busan heard any more news about this?
(paging user alexisalex)

Offline Dweebs1

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
How about sharing some of your information of the canges on GPOE and DMOE contracts!

Does anyone have access to information on this new law that spurred the changes?

Also, I saw the GPOE contract as well as the DMOE contract. Does anyone else have contracts from other regions that they would be willing to share?

Thank you!

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:15 AM »
has anyone in busan heard any more news about this?
(paging user alexisalex)

Nothing yet  :sad:

I'm really really hoping for the 31 vacation days haha.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
Was just talking to my main teacher and this subject was brought up.  According to her, the PoE said that "those who do not re-sign, have an extra 8 days vacation."  Now this is my PoE, so as for other M/PoE's, I wouldn't know. 

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
Has anyone's POE/MOE actually confirmed that renewing teachers will get 26 + 5 for the new school year?  I just had a quick look back through the thread and can only see that Chungcheongbuk-do has refused it.

Offline ISHKABIBBLE

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
They were posted in this thread.

How about sharing some of your information of the canges on GPOE and DMOE contracts!

Thank you!
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
I'd really like to know whether or not any provinces are definitely giving their teachers the 26 days and the 5 renewal bonus days promised in the 2018 contracts. I'm still not sure whether or not I'd like to make an official fuss about not being given them, and being able to point to another province that is giving them might help my case a bit.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »
I'd really like to know whether or not any provinces are definitely giving their teachers the 26 days and the 5 renewal bonus days promised in the 2018 contracts. I'm still not sure whether or not I'd like to make an official fuss about not being given them, and being able to point to another province that is giving them might help my case a bit.

That's not how it works. The government is mandating 26 days. Your contract stipulated 23 days. You don't get to add extra on top of the 26 days if your contract offered less than 26, but you do have to receive a minimum of 26 because that is now a legal requirement.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »

That's not how it works. The government is mandating 26 days. Your contract stipulated 23 days. You don't get to add extra on top of the 26 days if your contract offered less than 26, but you do have to receive a minimum of 26 because that is now a legal requirement.

No, my contract stipulated a baseline of 18 days during the contract period, and that if I renewed, I would be given five additional vacation days during the renewal period (ie the next contract period). The reason people got 23 was because they got the base 18, plus the bonus 5 guaranteed for renewal in the previous contract. That's why people on their first contract were only getting 18.

I understand why they increased the standard amount to 26 across the board due to the new government mandate. What I fail to see, however, is how a baseline increase across the board justifies not granting renewal bonus days stipulated in a contract. I don't see why it matters how many days the 5 are being added to, or what the new government mandated minimum is. Unless there's also a government mandated maximum amount saying we can't have over 26, it just seems like an arbitrary decision on the part of the PoEs to not give the bonus days. It can't really be said that the 26 days include bonus renewal days if brand new teachers who aren't on renewed contracts are also getting 26.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:54:10 PM by Mister Tim »

Online hightowerra

• Waygookin
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
I'm in my 2nd year working in Gyeonggi right now so I had 25 days to use for this school year (20+5 renewal). I've been talking with my coteachers about the changes for the last week, and we're all on the same page that for this next year it should be 26+5 renewal days. Then any subsequent years I stay would just be the 26. However, when they called the EPIK office or the GOE (not sure which), whoever they called is insisting that the renewal days stipulated in the current contract are just "deleted". That's what they keep saying. "Just delete." My cos called 4 different times and that's the only answer they ever get. "Just delete." It's mind-numbingly frustrating.

You can't "just delete" things from a contract without all parties agreement. I'm not even sure what I would do with 31 days of vacation, not even sure I'd have enough time to take it all. But it still isn't right to not follow the contract now just because they have the convenience of saying "oh, it's just deleted because it's not in the new contract" and they know there's not much we can actually do about it.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
I'm in my 2nd year working in Gyeonggi right now so I had 25 days to use for this school year (20+5 renewal). I've been talking with my coteachers about the changes for the last week, and we're all on the same page that for this next year it should be 26+5 renewal days. Then any subsequent years I stay would just be the 26. However, when they called the EPIK office or the GOE (not sure which), whoever they called is insisting that the renewal days stipulated in the current contract are just "deleted". That's what they keep saying. "Just delete." My cos called 4 different times and that's the only answer they ever get. "Just delete." It's mind-numbingly frustrating.

You can't "just delete" things from a contract without all parties agreement. I'm not even sure what I would do with 31 days of vacation, not even sure I'd have enough time to take it all. But it still isn't right to not follow the contract now just because they have the convenience of saying "oh, it's just deleted because it's not in the new contract" and they know there's not much we can actually do about it.

Yeah it's ridiculous that they're doing this.

Seeing as your school agrees with you, do you think they would give you the five days but keep it "off the books"?

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:17 AM »

Seeing as your school agrees with you, do you think they would give you the five days but keep it "off the books"?

I've had to CoTs read the contracts, too, to make sure the Korean didn't say something different from the English. They both agree with how I'm interpreting it and think we should be getting 26+5 according to the language in the contract. However, they're both also taking the "Oh well, whaddaya gonna do, amirite?" approach. I mentioned the possibility of lodging a formal complaint, but said I was worried about how that would affect my chances for renewal in the future, and they both just raised their eyebrows for a second, nodded a little, and said "Yes."

Sooooo yeah. This is all so disappointing. One of the main reasons I wanted to go the public school route vs hagwon was that I was under the impression that people on government contracts would be less likely to be screwed out of contractual benefits. Now I feel like that's no longer the case, and I can trust my Office of Education.

Sigh. I wish I hadn't spent so much money on a fancy guitar & helping parents with medical bills. I need to get a way for a while, but I've spent quite enough money this past year.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:51:57 AM by Mister Tim »

Online hightowerra

• Waygookin
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »

I've thought about asking about that as well, but I don't think there's any way my VP would let that slide. For whatever reason, she has it out for me and my co. She already wasn't sure about wanting to renew me this year even though everyone else was 100% on board. If I do decide to stay a fourth year, I wouldn't want that to come back to bite me.