March 27, 2019, 08:33:05 AM

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 9647 times)

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2018, 07:36:35 AM »
Welp, word about the "choose between deskwarming or using a vacation day" thing must've already been disseminated to school administrators. I had previously been told I get a 4 day weekend for New Years, but was just told that I know have to choose to either come in or use one of my vacation days. I've been at this school for three and a half years now, and I've never had to make that choice, so I assume this new regulation has prompted it. I wasn't expecting that change until next school/contract year, but I suppose no sh!tty surprise is actually surprising anymore.

I know, those who already had to come in are thinking "Boo-f*cking-hoo," but it sucks to be told one thing, look forward to it, and have it taken away at the last minute.

Luckily I'm boring and hadn't made any plans for the weekend, I guess.

yeah that definitely sucks. i dont get any extra days for new years but just hearing your situation bummed me out. it's interesting that THAT part of the change is making its way through the schools before the next contract... but i'm sure no one will be getting any extra vacation days until the next contract starts.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
I didn't understand any of that above posted letter.  What so only first year teachers get the 26 days???

Haha same.  Renewing teachers won't get 26?

Welp, word about the "choose between deskwarming or using a vacation day" thing must've already been disseminated to school administrators. I had previously been told I get a 4 day weekend for New Years, but was just told that I know have to choose to either come in or use one of my vacation days. I've been at this school for three and a half years now, and I've never had to make that choice, so I assume this new regulation has prompted it. I wasn't expecting that change until next school/contract year, but I suppose no sh!tty surprise is actually surprising anymore.

I know, those who already had to come in are thinking "Boo-f*cking-hoo," but it sucks to be told one thing, look forward to it, and have it taken away at the last minute.

Luckily I'm boring and hadn't made any plans for the weekend, I guess.

Damn, I'd be pretty frosty about that. 

Online stoot

• Waygookin
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
I didn't understand any of that above posted letter.  What so only first year teachers get the 26 days???

Only first year teachers who will not be renewing their contracts are being given the extra days this winter vacation period. They are only staying for one year and labor law requires them to be given 26 days. The 18 in the EPIK contract doesn't meet this so they need to be given the 8 days before their contracts finish.

All renewing teachers currently meet labor law standards for required vacation. So the 26 days will only be in effect in the new contracts. Starting from this year there will no longer be any renewal vacation bonus and everyone will receive 26 days. So for those renewing, they will receive the renewal bonus promised to them in the previous contract (5 extra days) and 26 days in their new contract.

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »

Only first year teachers who will not be renewing their contracts are being given the extra days this winter vacation period. They are only staying for one year and labor law requires them to be given 26 days. The 18 in the EPIK contract doesn't meet this so they need to be given the 8 days before their contracts finish.

All renewing teachers currently meet labor law standards for required vacation. So the 26 days will only be in effect in the new contracts. Starting from this year there will no longer be any renewal vacation bonus and everyone will receive 26 days. So for those renewing, they will receive the renewal bonus promised to them in the previous contract (5 extra days) and 26 days in their new contract.

I was told by school official that the 26 days included the 5 days renewal. Not 26+5 additional.  This is all so confusing. :rolleyes:

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »

I was told by school official that the 26 days included the 5 days renewal. Not 26+5 additional.  This is all so confusing. :rolleyes:

Did you show them your contract?  Those 5 bonus days promised in the last contract we signed can't just be disregarded.

Online purpleparrot

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »

Did you show them your contract?  Those 5 bonus days promised in the last contract we signed can't just be disregarded.

Actually this happened to me in 2017.  My first contract was the 2016 one, where it said renewal vacation days were 12 days.  So when I signed the 2017 contract, I was expecting to get 12 vacation days for 2017, because the 2016 contract promised them.  However, in the 2017 contract, renewal days were changed to 5 days.  I was thinking, well the 2016 contract promised 12 days if I renew so I should get 12 days in 2017.  Nope.  They said they had to follow the new contract of 5 days.  Really sucked. So I would expect that since the 2019 contract doesn't mention any renewal vacation days, that we don't get any next year.

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »

stoot you hero! this makes the most sense. thank you

Offline Sasstiel

• Adventurer
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
I donít really understand the wording of the letter sent out, and Iím just a bit annoyed that I worked here for so long (and was forced to use my renewal during my last contract, plus Iím deskwarming all of January, so a few extra days wouldíve helped with packing and all).

I think they should have applied the extra 8 days to all leaving teachers, but thatís just my opinion and itís also what sick days are for, should it come to that. Not going to stay up all night cleaning/packing when first year teachers are off and Iíve been here for four years.

In the end it doesnít matter. Iím out at the end of February. Those who signed on for an extra year, enjoy those 26 days! And if youíre a first-year leaving, holy crap did you get lucky! Again, enjoy it, and donít let us salty 3rd or 4th year teachers make you feel guilty. You got lucky!
I'm funnier in Enochian.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2018, 10:06:12 AM »
Teachers in Chungcheongbuk-do are also being told we won't be getting the 5 renewal days in addition to the new 26 days. I suppose the question is, do I want to fight that and risk not being renewed again because I caused problems?

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
Teachers in Chungcheongbuk-do are also being told we won't be getting the 5 renewal days in addition to the new 26 days. I suppose the question is, do I want to fight that and risk not being renewed again because I caused problems?

In your situation I would probably kick up a fuss because your school didn't hang around in enforcing the new "choose between deskwarming or using a vacation day" as you said.

If they're following the contact exactly then I think it's only fair that you do the same and get those promised 5 days.

But I understand the feeling of not wanting to rock the boat too much.  Tricky situation.

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »

Soooo, the administration ought to say something fairly soon then. My POE hasn't said anything, but I'm sure they're juggling a lot of moving pieces.

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »

Actually this happened to me in 2017.  My first contract was the 2016 one, where it said renewal vacation days were 12 days.  So when I signed the 2017 contract, I was expecting to get 12 vacation days for 2017, because the 2016 contract promised them.  However, in the 2017 contract, renewal days were changed to 5 days.  I was thinking, well the 2016 contract promised 12 days if I renew so I should get 12 days in 2017.  Nope.  They said they had to follow the new contract of 5 days.  Really sucked. So I would expect that since the 2019 contract doesn't mention any renewal vacation days, that we don't get any next year.

That really sucks... My 2016 contract had in it that I got 5 extra days if I renew. Sadly my 2017 contract did not. I still got those 5 days because it was rollover from the previous contract and there is no reason they could take it away from you. Should always stick to your guns on things in your contract.
 Before I have just said " Oh really? I will have to ask a lawyer about it." Fixed the problem the one time I used it.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
I DON'T KNOW but the contract I signed yesterday to renew with the same school I've been at, reads that I will get 26 days.  If 26 days didn't apply to me then it shouldn't have been in my contract.  And if I'm given the choice between come into school or sacrifice a vacation day for some random month in the year, I will come in and meditate.  NO BIGGIE TO ME.  Plus my contract wasn't the generic contract, it was typed out with me specifically in mind, name, school name, my salary, and all. 

I don't know why anyone keeps debating this like it's heresay. 

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »
I DON'T KNOW but the contract I signed yesterday to renew with the same school I've been at, reads that I will get 26 days.  If 26 days didn't apply to me then it shouldn't have been in my contract.  And if I'm given the choice between come into school or sacrifice a vacation day for some random month in the year, I will come in and meditate.  NO BIGGIE TO ME.  Plus my contract wasn't the generic contract, it was typed out with me specifically in mind, name, school name, my salary, and all. 

Literally nobody here is still debating whether or not the number of days has been increased to 26. That's been being treated as a given. The issue now is whether or not people are still entitled to their renewal bonus 5 days in addition to the 26 days outlined in the new contract. The wording in the 2018 contracts seems to be saying we should still be entitled to 5 bonus days in 2019, but some POEs are saying we aren't.

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »

Literally nobody here is still debating whether or not the number of days has been increased to 26. That's been being treated as a given. The issue now is whether or not people are still entitled to their renewal bonus 5 days in addition to the 26 days outlined in the new contract. The wording in the 2018 contracts seems to be saying we should still be entitled to 5 bonus days in 2019, but some POEs are saying we aren't.

EXACTLY! Thank YOU, Mister Tim

Offline CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
I have a problem. Just talked to my co-teacher. The co has no idea about the new renewal changes (nothing new). I myself am a bit confused. I am with the DMOE. I started with EPIK in May 2018. I believe I do get the 5 renewal days for this year right? And from next year, I have no renewal days and just a the 26 days instead of the 18 holidays?

Someone clarify please. Because now I'm doubting whether I understand what's going on!  :laugh: :cry:

Well I don't work for Daegu and that's never been my case.  If the principal made a  school holiday he would never tell me to apply that as one of my vacation days.  He'd just give everybody the extra day off.  This year he did that with the Chuseok Holiday.  He randomly gave us the Friday before Chuseok off when the rest of the following week off as well.  I didn't have to use a vacation day for that random Friday.

That's lucky! This year I didn't have to use my holidays either but now I might need to if my school decides to have days off. But I don't want to use my vacation days for the days off the school gives. I have no problem coming in and sitting at my desk all day! I think its unfair to make us take a day off when we didn't agree to it since it affects our holiday!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
I have a problem. Just talked to my co-teacher. The co has no idea about the new renewal changes (nothing new). I myself am a bit confused. I am with the DMOE. I started with EPIK in May 2018. I believe I do get the 5 renewal days for this year right? And from next year, I have no renewal days and just a the 26 days instead of the 18 holidays?

Someone clarify please. Because now I'm doubting whether I understand what's going on!  :laugh: :cry:

The best thing to do is have a look at the contract you signed when you started in May 2018 and look for this:

In the case of renewal of this Contract pursuant to the forgoing clause, the Employee shall be given five (5) working days paid leave which shall take place during the nearest school vacation after the start of the renewal contract...

If you see this (it's Article 10 I think) then you are due those five days to be taken in the next contract period (2019 to 2020).

Offline ISHKABIBBLE

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
Does anyone know how this will effect Seoul?
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »
You have to take your renewal vacation within 6 months as well. Maybe the new policy is just to get rid of that, but keep the same days. Fingers crossed for 26 days + renewal, but probably not, lol.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

The best thing to do is have a look at the contract you signed when you started in May 2018 and look for this:

In the case of renewal of this Contract pursuant to the forgoing clause, the Employee shall be given five (5) working days paid leave which shall take place during the nearest school vacation after the start of the renewal contract...

If you see this (it's Article 10 I think) then you are due those five days to be taken in the next contract period (2019 to 2020).

The same wording is in the Chungcheongbuk-do PoE's contracts, and the line they're taking is "That only applies to the current contract period; a contract can't guarantee anything outside of its contract period (ie a 2018 contract can't promise rewards for a 2019 period)." I tried pointing out that the language of the contract (the English and the Korean) states the renewal days are for the next year and not giving them seems like breach of contract, and was pretty much told "It's out of our hands. If you still have a problem, file a formal complaint with EPIK."