January 23, 2019, 08:06:29 PM

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 4553 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
  I'm so glad we are getting ADDITIONAL DAYS.  Seriously give the kids a break from these camps

There will still be camps. Maybe not two or three weeks of camp per break, like some people have had to do, but 13 days of vacation per break leaves more than enough time for at least a week of camp each break.

...and it's worth reiterating that, if you include the renewal days you'd have gotten before, you'll only have three additional vacation days to use during breaks, and even those come at the expense of days that you might have otherwise gotten off during the school year without having to use a vacation day.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:50:34 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline belocean11

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 12:48:41 PM »
These are the contract and contract adjustments from the Gyeonsangbuk-do and Daegu 2019 February EPIK contracts.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »
My contract always said 18 days and can be taken whenever summer or winter.  I always bulked them up along with the 5 day renewal and took a lot of time off during winter when I didn't go back to North America.  I gave my schools two weeks first of January for camps then took at least a week to a week and a half in later January before the school came back for a week or so.  Then, after that I went back out for 3 weeks or so for the rest of February until March 2nd.  Was sweet. 

I hope they don't enforce this leave to go to the bank crap and make us actually count that as a vacation.  It's a BS clause which thankfully most don't enforce.  Also I hope they don't really enforce those 2 or 3 extra school days the principal gives now and make us count them as a our holiday.  Hopefully will have a co teacher next year who doesn't read the rulebook too closely.  Sucks to give us some extra time off then to claw it all back to bring to the exact the same or even less than before.  I don't understand when some of us just sit at a desk doing nothing just can't stay home.  Heaven forbid they actually want to be nice or anything.  (I guess we'll see what happens.)

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
okay, I'm lost.  (Which isn't out of the norm)  So, those who came in Spring in-take 2018 (and any others after) are being given an extra week vacation effective immediately?

It will take effect if you renew for the 2019 contract, not for the current one.

I've got a copy of the new contract for my province and what bluehermione and Mister Tim said covers pretty much everything.

Of course it will!  Why would anyone try to get the 26 vacations days now :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:  I'm so glad we are getting ADDITIONAL DAYS.  Seriously give the kids a break from these camps and give the principal and vice principal a break from coming in to baby sit us or the school.   I'M SOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!  Plus it also looks like the renewal bonus went up by 100,000Won.  I'm looking and I'm liking  8)

We get another 100,000 won for renewal allowance?  So, now 2.1 million instead of 2 million won?

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
These are the contract and contract adjustments from the Gyeonsangbuk-do and Daegu 2019 February EPIK contracts.

Thanks for posting that.

So the renewal days have been taken away as we guessed but we end up with more than before anyway.  Good result!

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
My contract always said 18 days and can be taken whenever summer or winter.  I always bulked them up along with the 5 day renewal and took a lot of time off during winter when I didn't go back to North America.  I gave my schools two weeks first of January for camps then took at least a week to a week and a half in later January before the school came back for a week or so.  Then, after that I went back out for 3 weeks or so for the rest of February until March 2nd.  Was sweet. 

I hope they don't enforce this leave to go to the bank crap and make us actually count that as a vacation.  It's a BS clause which thankfully most don't enforce.  Also I hope they don't really enforce those 2 or 3 extra school days the principal gives now and make us count them as a our holiday.  Hopefully will have a co teacher next year who doesn't read the rulebook too closely.  Sucks to give us some extra time off then to claw it all back to bring to the exact the same or even less than before.  I don't understand when some of us just sit at a desk doing nothing just can't stay home.  Heaven forbid they actually want to be nice or anything.  (I guess we'll see what happens.)

You are allowed 8 free hours per contract year to have free time outside of school.  Those don't count against your vacation.  Unless you use up those free hours.  My co-teacher this year allowed me to use "sick days" for personal things I had to do.  Which actually was for going to the doctor so she applied it as a "sick day."  But I still did my class but checked out early when I was done teaching for the day. 

There will still be camps. Maybe not two or three weeks of camp per break, like some people have had to do, but 13 days of vacation per break leaves more than enough time for at least a week of camp each break.

Yeah I'm that person that had to do 3 weeks worth of camp for usually the entire month of January, while other people at other schools only had to do one week long camp.  So yes being one of those people that only has camp for a week or so rather than close to an entire month is a much welcomed relief. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:45:41 PM by Piggydee »

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
Wait, so EPIK contracts have been amended to 26 days total vacation per year?

I'm with JLP and I'm pretty sure we've always gotten 8 days in summer and 24 days in winter? Sounds like EPIK's been screwing you guys

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
20 days have always been standard for me when I was with GEPIK and even though my EPIK contract this year said 18 days, my school let me have 20.   So..... I don't know where people are getting 28 days.  Maybe different province I guess otherwise I'm looking forward to this!   8)

Offline belocean11

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
For the Daegu MOE they were told that school holidays would be counted as vacation days. So if your school has three school holidays during the year, then you lose three paid vacation days. Before it was up to the discretion of the principal or vice principal to allow NETs to take those days off without penalty, but with the updated contracts we lose that clause. My school typically has three school holidays, so it looks like I won't be getting any extra vacation days if my POE's contract is the same as the Feb contract in August.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
For the Daegu MOE they were told that school holidays would be counted as vacation days. So if your school has three school holidays during the year, then you lose three paid vacation days. Before it was up to the discretion of the principal or vice principal to allow NETs to take those days off without penalty, but with the updated contracts we lose that clause. My school typically has three school holidays, so it looks like I won't be getting any extra vacation days if my POE's contract is the same as the Feb contract in August.

I'm not sure about that.  I read my contract and it didn't say it would be counting public holidays or school holidays as part of our paid leave.  Because unlike hakwons, my school has never combined red days and counted them towards my vacation (ex. three red days off for Lunar New Year + 6 of your contact vacation days= equals 9 days)  That's never been my case.  For me this year I used 7 days for my summer vacation in August and this year I will use my remaining 13 days for February.  Lunar New Year is Feb. 4-6.  Added on to the 13 remaining days I have left I will have 16 paid days of vacation!  Which means I need to be back to my school Feb. 25th.  If those Lunar New Year days would be counted as my vacation then that means I'd have to return to school Feb. 19th.  SO GLAD I DON'T WORK AT HAKWON ANYMORE, because they are the ones to pull that mess.  Do I don't know what anyone is saying as far as the school using public holidays or school holidays as paid holidays. 

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
I suddenly thought about this...

The contract I signed a year ago gives me five extra days if I renew that contract (which I'm now doing).  The new contract I'm going to sign in 2019 is going to give me 26 days.

So do I get 31 days vacation for 2019/2020?  What happens to the five days renewal bonus we get for renewing our 2018/2019 contracts?

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
I suddenly thought about this...

The contract I signed a year ago gives me five extra days if I renew that contract (which I'm now doing).  The new contract I'm going to sign in 2019 is going to give me 26 days.

So do I get 31 days vacation for 2019/2020?  What happens to the five days renewal bonus we get for renewing our 2018/2019 contracts?

Some people were telling me about that but I think as for the people who were GEPIK to EPIK people they didn't see this year's contract as a "renewal" despite the fact that most of us stayed at the same school.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »

You are allowed 8 free hours per contract year to have free time outside of school.  Those don't count against your vacation.  Unless you use up those free hours.  My co-teacher this year allowed me to use "sick days" for personal things I had to do.  Which actually was for going to the doctor so she applied it as a "sick day."  But I still did my class but checked out early when I was done teaching for the day. 

Yeah I'm that person that had to do 3 weeks worth of camp for usually the entire month of January, while other people at other schools only had to do one week long camp.  So yes being one of those people that only has camp for a week or so rather than close to an entire month is a much welcomed relief.

Pretty lame.  Most of my schools never enforced that.  It's dumb.  It's a new thing within the past 5 or 6 years.  Never had that initially.  But I have this one teacher this year who's super retarded on that.  (No other schools ever cared as long as I came right back.)  I'm not suppose to go to the bank or give up a vacation day?  Some shit can't be done in English.  The machines don't give me an English option for certain bills.  Thankfully my other schools let me go and come back no problem.  Over a year 15 or 20 minutes here and there will add up quickly.  Bunch of idiots.  I don't think Korean teachers have to give up their vacation days to do things though because they speak Korean they can do it anytime.  I guess if all my schools went full retard like this, I'd make my main school teacher go with me to the bank to translate what the machine says after 4 30 to pay those then. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
Wait, so EPIK contracts have been amended to 26 days total vacation per year?

I'm with JLP and I'm pretty sure we've always gotten 8 days in summer and 24 days in winter? Sounds like EPIK's been screwing you guys

I think it's total days with you guys including weekends?  With us it is work days excluding weekends and holidays.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »

Heaven forbid they could actually just do something to be nice instead of being @holes. 

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »
Weekends don't count as paid vacation days. 

Offline belocean11

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »

I'm not sure about that.  I read my contract and it didn't say it would be counting public holidays or school holidays as part of our paid leave.  Because unlike hakwons, my school has never combined red days and counted them towards my vacation (ex. three red days off for Lunar New Year + 6 of your contact vacation days= equals 9 days)  That's never been my case.  For me this year I used 7 days for my summer vacation in August and this year I will use my remaining 13 days for February.  Lunar New Year is Feb. 4-6.  Added on to the 13 remaining days I have left I will have 16 paid days of vacation!  Which means I need to be back to my school Feb. 25th.  If those Lunar New Year days would be counted as my vacation then that means I'd have to return to school Feb. 19th.  SO GLAD I DON'T WORK AT HAKWON ANYMORE, because they are the ones to pull that mess.  Do I don't know what anyone is saying as far as the school using public holidays or school holidays as paid holidays. 

School holidays and public holidays are different. While they may all be listed as red days in our calendar they are not the same. Previously in most contracts it was up to the discretion of the principal or vp to allow NETs to have the day off and they weren't counted as paid leave. However, under the new contracts at least the Daegu contract school holidays (재량휴업일) are now counted as paid leave. If you look at the final box in the Daegu contract adjustments picture you will see that the old clause has been deleted. My friend who just signed their new contract yesterday said that during the resigning it was stressed that school holidays will now be counted as paid holidays if they are taken off.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »

School holidays and public holidays are different. While they may all be listed as red days in our calendar they are not the same. Previously in most contracts it was up to the discretion of the principal or vp to allow NETs to have the day off and they weren't counted as paid leave. However, under the new contracts at least the Daegu contract school holidays (재량휴업일) are now counted as paid leave. If you look at the final box in the Daegu contract adjustments picture you will see that the old clause has been deleted. My friend who just signed their new contract yesterday said that during the resigning it was stressed that school holidays will now be counted as paid holidays if they are taken off.

Like I said, heaven forbid they could just be nice.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
Well I don't work for Daegu and that's never been my case.  If the principal made a  school holiday he would never tell me to apply that as one of my vacation days.  He'd just give everybody the extra day off.  This year he did that with the Chuseok Holiday.  He randomly gave us the Friday before Chuseok off when the rest of the following week off as well.  I didn't have to use a vacation day for that random Friday. 

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
Well I don't work for Daegu and that's never been my case.  If the principal made a  school holiday he would never tell me to apply that as one of my vacation days.  He'd just give everybody the extra day off.  This year he did that with the Chuseok Holiday.  He randomly gave us the Friday before Chuseok off when the rest of the following week off as well.  I didn't have to use a vacation day for that random Friday.

That's what people are talking about here. In the past, the school could apparently choose whether or not you have to use a vacation day for those days, or even require you to come in and deskwarm. The new rules seem to be that the school doesn't have a choice whether or not you have to take a vacation day. Your choices will be 1) take a vacation day and have the day off, or 2) don't take a vacation day & go deskwarm. It doesn't matter whether that's "never been the case," because the rules have changed.