March 19, 2019, 01:44:34 PM

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 9396 times)

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
wanting unpaid leave etc
is this a problem? if you're just sitting at a desk doing nothing, surely it's better for both you and the MOE

Yeah that's why I was really confused when they were talking about this like it was the worst thing ever.  The coordinator was basically saying unpaid leave isn't fair because you get time off but you still have your vacation days as well.

But like you say, the amount of days I'm at school but not actually doing anything is remarkable.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »
From the sound of it they had a lot of problems last year with NETs taking the p*ss with taking time off/asking for extra time off/wanting unpaid leave etc so they decided to really really hammer the point home this time.

oh no, how dare people want to have time off instead of being the only person sitting in a blazing hot/freezing cold school with no work to do! the cheek of people wanting to go home and see their families! gotta put them in their place!

what a joke EPIK is.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2019, 11:40:03 AM »
the amount of days I'm at school but not actually doing anything is remarkable.

You're supposed to be preparing materials for the following semester.

That is the expectation anyways.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
Does the fact that we now get the entirety of our contract renewal bonus cash up front mitigate the vacation day brewhaha at all? Many of us will be seeing 2.7 million won extra on March 25th.  :smiley:

Gyeongsangbuk-do don't get the bonus as stipulated in the email today; they won't receive it until the end of their new contracts.
   Bloody ****** hell.
   I noticed that this morning too.
   Man, that sucks. Too bad I'm aiming to get renewed again next year else I would make a big fuss over it (as it does say in the contract that we get it now).
  Ah well, it's still money in my pocket eventually.  :undecided:

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »
Does the fact that we now get the entirety of our contract renewal bonus cash up front mitigate the vacation day brewhaha at all? Many of us will be seeing 2.7 million won extra on March 25th.  :smiley:

Gyeongsangbuk-do don't get the bonus as stipulated in the email today; they won't receive it until the end of their new contracts.
   Bloody ****** hell.
   I noticed that this morning too.
   Man, that sucks. Too bad I'm aiming to get renewed again next year else I would make a big fuss over it (as it does say in the contract that we get it now).
  Ah well, it's still money in my pocket eventually.  :undecided:
In some schools I've gotten that money all at the end, in others it was split. Either way, I get the money, so to me it doesn't matter when I get it.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2019, 02:55:48 PM »
Either way, I get the money, so to me it doesn't matter when I get it.

You don't care about inflation, interest on student loans/credit card loans, or the fact stocks increase in value at almost 10% a year on average.

The sooner one gets money, the more it is worth.

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
Either way, I get the money, so to me it doesn't matter when I get it.

You don't care about inflation, interest on student loans/credit card loans, or the fact stocks increase in value at almost 10% a year on average.

The sooner one gets money, the more it is worth.
$2000, 12 months later really isn't going to effect my bottom line. Inflation in one year, in a developed economy is no more than 2-ish%. And if you quit before 6 months, you're supposed to return $700 of it. Makes sense for them to delay it until after at least 6 months.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
Signed the contract yesterday (Busan) and they're not honouring the bonus days.  They were very clear that we only get 26 days.

From the sound of it they had a lot of problems last year with NETs taking the p*ss with taking time off/asking for extra time off/wanting unpaid leave etc so they decided to really really hammer the point home this time.

They said that they are telling our schools that our vacation time takes precedence over camp which will definitely be good for a lot of us.

The 10 and 10 summer/winter split seems very set in stone and any remaining days should be taken in Spring vacation.  But at the same time the message seemed to be that as long as your school allows it you can be flexible.

Overall I feel that there is a massive disconnect between how the offices of education view the job and what actually happens in our schools.

This is such crap. They LOVE this line. Why do they ALWAYS blame the NETs for everything? Such a cop out.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
Signed the contract yesterday (Busan) and they're not honouring the bonus days.  They were very clear that we only get 26 days.

They said that they are telling our schools that our vacation time takes precedence over camp which will definitely be good for a lot of us.

The 10 and 10 summer/winter split seems very set in stone and any remaining days should be taken in Spring vacation.  But at the same time the message seemed to be that as long as your school allows it you can be flexible.

Overall I feel that there is a massive disconnect between how the offices of education view the job and what actually happens in our schools.

This is such crap. They LOVE this line. Why do they ALWAYS blame the NETs for everything? Such a cop out.

It is frustrating to be treated like children yeah.  Totally agree.

But from what I read on Facebook/Reddit/Waygook etc they must get pretty frustrated when native teachers say things like "Can I have a few days off, my best friend's getting married" or "I need to go home for a week, my 100 year old grandmother died and we were really close".

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »

It is frustrating to be treated like children yeah.  Totally agree.

But from what I read on Facebook/Reddit/Waygook etc they must get pretty frustrated when native teachers say things like "Can I have a few days off, my best friend's getting married" or "I need to go home for a week, my 100 year old grandmother died and we were really close".

But how does the new arrangement change that? I'm guessing it's when weddings etc fall outside of the summer/winter vacation time that these requests are made.

They just like to have a scapegoat for crappy decisions..

Online busanite

• Adventurer
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:11 PM »
Below is the note that was given to me and I work in Gyeongsangnam-do. Has anyone asked about whether Labor Day (May 1st) or replacement red days (Ex. Children's Day on a Sunday with the following Monday a holiday) count as part of paid leave?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:23:50 PM by busanite »

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
Below is the note that was given to me and I work in Gyeongsangnam-do. Has anyone asked about whether Labor Day (May 1st) or replacement red days (Ex. Children's Day on a Sunday with the following Monday a holiday) count as part of paid leave?

A government-substituted red day (Children's Day being celebrated on the 6th this year) won't count as a vacation day. Just if (for example) Children's Day was a Tuesday and your principal wanted the Monday in between to be a holiday, that Monday would be considered part of your 26. Labor Day is a holiday specific to contract workers per labor law so it's not part of the 26 either :)

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »

If you're an EPIK teacher, look in your contract, Article 7 - Clause 1:
    "The Employee shall... not work on Saturdays, Sundays, Labor Day (May 1st and any national holidays of the Republic of Korea."

It's pretty specific in ruling out May 1st. Schools can ask you to work on that day, but if you agree to, then they must pay you overtime.  :smiley:

Online Jayson1979

• Explorer
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »
Got a question for everyone...

After combing through my school schedule for both of my schools, it looks like taking a total of 26 (or 18 even) vacation days is going to be nearly impossible.  Does anyone know what happens to any vacation days that are not used?  As a side note, it's not a case where I can just take more half days or early leaves on days I am not teaching classes either.  Both of my schools have mentioned that they don't really like when we do that.  Any idea?

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »

After combing through my school schedule for both of my schools, it looks like taking a total of 26 (or 18 even) vacation days is going to be nearly impossible.  Does anyone know what happens to any vacation days that are not used?  As a side note, it's not a case where I can just take more half days or early leaves on days I am not teaching classes either.  Both of my schools have mentioned that they don't really like when we do that.  Any idea?

I mean I would just be insisting they give me what they are contractually obliged to.

There's no way in hell I wouldn't use my vacation days.

If they aren't budging you need to speak to your coordinator. They don't get the choice to simply not honour your contract.

Online Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »

Pretty sure, your vacation trumps travel school camps, and your main school can't give you a camp so long, you can't use your vacation time.
Also, I don't think you get paid for unused vacation, you'll get told you have to use it, or lose it, pretty much (I could be wrong on this)

Online stoot

• Waygookin
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »

Pretty sure, your vacation trumps travel school camps, and your main school can't give you a camp so long, you can't use your vacation time.
Also, I don't think you get paid for unused vacation, you'll get told you have to use it, or lose it, pretty much (I could be wrong on this)

http://www.koreanlaborlaw.com/annual-leave-based-on-the-korean-labor-law/

"An employer does not have to pay wages for unused days of leave if he takes steps of “promotion for use of annual leave”.

If an employee does not use up annual leave for one year, remaining days of unused annual leave do not roll over to the next year. They just expire. However, the employer should pay wages to the employee for the unused leave. But if the employer gives a written notice to the worker requesting to use up all the remaining days of leave until the end of the year and if the employee does not use the leave in spite of such request, the employer is exempted from the obligation to compensate for the unused annual leave."

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2019, 05:36:34 AM »
They are contractually and legally obliged to give you your 26 days. Doesn’t matter how much they protest it or don’t like it...not your problem.

You’ll need to be very firm with this if you really want it.

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10:16 AM »
legally, by labour law, 'paid leave' is only a day off.  it is not some long holiday, like people get in their public school contracts.  if you work for a month, you get a paid day off.  it stops employers from making employees work every day.  think about how inefficiently Koreans work, they'd work every day if they got more money.  labour law in Korea is developing and has come a long way, but I doubt Koreans really kick up a fuss about Labour Law because they are happy to have a job.  what they have got now is Brits and other nationalities coming over who've experience of not being exploited or worked to death and pointing out to employers, legally they can make them work in a certain illegal fashion, and we know how some hagwon owners/schools react to these things.

labour law is to preserve basic human rights for all workers in Korea: for Koreans, Australians, Indonesian workers etc.  in that sense, public school contracts are way above the labour law in what they offer to native teachers.  think about some hagwon contracts that make Saturdays mandatory for teaching, it is not illegal because they give their teacher Sunday off, which is entirely within Labour Law, crap as it is.  i have a Korean friend who works for an insurance company, he is expected to work Monday-Saturday, and he gets Sunday off (in line with Labour Law) but apart from that he only had another 3 paid leave days which he could take during one year.  only three.  he got national holidays off, but he was expected to work for some of them.  that kind of job is well paid but it's on the limit of what Labour Law allows.  but like I said, he is Korean, so is less likely to kick up a fuss because he has a job. 

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »
They are contractually and legally obliged to give you your 26 days. Doesn’t matter how much they protest it or don’t like it...not your problem.

You’ll need to be very firm with this if you really want it.

Check the contract for specific wording along the lines of "as long is it does not interfere with normal school operations."