January 22, 2019, 08:04:28 PM

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 4529 times)

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
Increased Vacation Days
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:28:07 AM »
Last week I went to the contract renewal orientation for Busan only to find that we weren't actually signing the contracts because they weren't yet finalised.  They told us that "Paid Leaves" are going to be changed but they couldn't tell us any more details.

This popped up on Reddit today

Fingers crossed!!  ;D

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
yeah, i saw this too. i wonder how this will change the extra days you get for renewal...

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
yeah, i saw this too. i wonder how this will change the extra days you get for renewal...

Yeah I thought the same thing.  I would imagine they'll get rid of that because arguably the renewal bonus we already get is pretty good.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
Also I wonder how this would affect camps.  From what I read here, people have enough difficulty squeezing in their vacation days as it is without adding even more lol.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »

Yeah I thought the same thing.  I would imagine they'll get rid of that because arguably the renewal bonus we already get is pretty good.

that would be a little upsetting but i guess i wouldn't be too salty. if they cut it in half or something, i think that's fair. but, i guess i don't care too much.

Also I wonder how this would affect camps.  From what I read here, people have enough difficulty squeezing in their vacation days as it is without adding even more lol.

yeah i had a really hard time fitting in my vacation this year (i'm at 1 middle and 1 elementary and their schedules don't align well). there's also that time before march where we can take vacation but i think that's technically at the beginning of the next contract (not the end of this one) and so it wouldn't be part of "winter" break...

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
Do you think they will get rid of the one week renewal vacation though?  I guess we'd still have extra days though slightly.

Offline Vee94

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
Do you think they will get rid of the one week renewal vacation though?  I guess we'd still have extra days though slightly.

A teacher renewing with GOE had a chance to discuss the new contract (not  sure who with but someone official) and was told that the one week renewal was being removed from the new contracts.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 09:54:16 AM »

A teacher renewing with GOE had a chance to discuss the new contract (not  sure who with but someone official) and was told that the one week renewal was being removed from the new contracts.

It figures.  But, we still end up with an extra 3 days net, I guess.  (The one week was 5 days.)

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 10:20:21 AM »
okay, I'm lost.  (Which isn't out of the norm)  So, those who came in Spring in-take 2018 (and any others after) are being given an extra week vacation effective immediately?

Offline bluehermione

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
We used to get 23 total days (8 summer, 10 winter, 5 renewal), and now we're getting 26 days.

BUT, at least in my MOE, they removed the part in the contract about getting paid on discretionary holidays. So for example, if Buddha's birthday is on Tuesday and the principal decides to close the school on Monday as well, we have to use one of our 26 paid vacation days for that Monday.

So if your school has fewer than 3 discretionary holidays per year, you're getting up to 3 more vacation days than before. If your school has exactly 3 discretionary holidays, you'll get the same total number of vacation days (23). If your school has more than 3 discretionary holidays, you'll get fewer vacation days than before.

I don't know if the discretionary holiday thing applies to all POEs/MOEs, though.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »

It figures.  But, we still end up with an extra 3 days net, I guess.  (The one week was 5 days.)

Sort of. Part of the new laws that forced this contract change stipulate that NETs will have to either use their vacation days for any non-red days off their school has, or come in and deskwarm. That means those three discretionary holidays your principal has the authority to add throughout the year (usually things like the school's birthday, bridge/gap days when a red day falls on a Tuesday/Thursday, or extra days for Chuseok) will either cost you a vacation day or require you to come in.

Some teachers already had to make that choice at some schools, while others have been allowed to take those days off without losing a vacation day. If you're one of the former, then this change is a net benefit of three vacation days. If you're one of the latter, then there's no real change in the number of days off you'll have. The only real change in that case is you have one fewer incentive to renew when the time comes.

EDIT: Ninja'd by bluehermione.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:46:33 AM »

Yeah. I'm disappointed that it's being scrapped, but I guess  it's not the end of the world. Doing the whole "humans compare themselves" thing, I guess I'm a bit salty that the new people will have the same vacation time as me...

edit: saw the posts above and my salt is intensifying...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:53:30 AM by tylerthegloob »

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »

Yeah. I'm disappointed that it's being scrapped, but I guess  it's not the end of the world. Doing the whole "humans compare themselves" thing, I guess I'm a bit salty that the new people will have the same vacation time as me...

It's shitty. Getting the extra days was a nice incentive for renewal and/or a bonus for loyalty, of sorts. Scrapping it without replacing it with a new incentive is a disappointing decision. The main reason I came here instead of Japan and stayed as long as I have is that the benefits and cost of living in Korea were favorable. However, CoL is steadily going up, taxes have increased, I've hit the top of the pay scale, and now they're apparently going to start chipping away at the benefits and incentives to stay. It's getting to where it's harder to look at Korea and Japan side-by-side and think "Korea is definitely the better choice. Might as well stay."

I mean, if they don't want to give experienced teachers any reason to say, fair play. There's no rule saying they have to. If they're fine with slowly losing any appeal Korea has for non-Koreaboos and losing potential and/or experienced teachers to other countries, then this change is okay.

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
I can one up you in salty tyler. I signed a 1yr 8 mo contract (ending in a month) and did not get the 5+ vacation days (after getting it the previous yr). Then now they will have to give it to everyone no matter if they sign back up or not. Net bonus I guess (that I used to have that they took away) but feeling salty. 

Also because of the extended contract and using regular vacation days. I only have 5 winter vacation days.. Great time to go see my family that I haven't seen in 1.5yrs. I should just go play LOL to release the salt, only place the concentration is high enough that it will just leave me to reach equilibrium.

Offline Colburnnn

• Newgookin
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
We used to get 23 total days (8 summer, 10 winter, 5 renewal), and now we're getting 26 days.

BUT, at least in my MOE, they removed the part in the contract about getting paid on discretionary holidays. So for example, if Buddha's birthday is on Tuesday and the principal decides to close the school on Monday as well, we have to use one of our 26 paid vacation days for that Monday.

So if your school has fewer than 3 discretionary holidays per year, you're getting up to 3 more vacation days than before. If your school has exactly 3 discretionary holidays, you'll get the same total number of vacation days (23). If your school has more than 3 discretionary holidays, you'll get fewer vacation days than before.

I don't know if the discretionary holiday thing applies to all POEs/MOEs, though.

Can't we just choose to take it unpaid? As in an 8 hour period deducted from the months pay? And keep the 26 days?

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
I can one up you in salty tyler. I signed a 1yr 8 mo contract (ending in a month) and did not get the 5+ vacation days (after getting it the previous yr). Then now they will have to give it to everyone no matter if they sign back up or not. Net bonus I guess (that I used to have that they took away) but feeling salty. 

Also because of the extended contract and using regular vacation days. I only have 5 winter vacation days.. Great time to go see my family that I haven't seen in 1.5yrs. I should just go play LOL to release the salt, only place the concentration is high enough that it will just leave me to reach equilibrium.

yeah im only at the end of my first year so i guess i shouldn't complain too much... i was just excited to get the extra days for the first time. what's that in the reddit post about it possibly applying to this winter though? that seems too good to be true.

edit: "that part" = "obviously, the paid leave increase may affect the upcoming winter camp..."

Online Renma

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
okay, I'm lost.  (Which isn't out of the norm)  So, those who came in Spring in-take 2018 (and any others after) are being given an extra week vacation effective immediately?

It will take effect if you renew for the 2019 contract, not for the current one.

I've got a copy of the new contract for my province and what bluehermione and Mister Tim said covers pretty much everything.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:54:27 AM by Renma »

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »

It will take effect if you renew for the 2019 contract, not for the current one.

I've got a copy of the new contract for my province and what bluehermione and Mister Tim said covers pretty much everything.

so the part of the reddit post that says it may affect our upcoming winter is wrong? well.. it was worth hoping for

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »

Of course it will!  Why would anyone try to get the 26 vacations days now :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:  I'm so glad we are getting ADDITIONAL DAYS.  Seriously give the kids a break from these camps and give the principal and vice principal a break from coming in to baby sit us or the school.   I'M SOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!  Plus it also looks like the renewal bonus went up by 100,000Won.  I'm looking and I'm liking  8)

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »

I just got my contract and I didn't see anything about "renewal" days.