January 21, 2019, 10:03:16 PM

Author Topic: Question about floor heating (ondol)  (Read 1143 times)

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
Question about floor heating (ondol)
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »
Is it more cost-effective to turn it on and leave it on continuously or to turn it off when you go out and turn it back on when you're at home? I know it's not really cost-effective period (floor heat's expensive) but I'd like to save where I can.

Thanks.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
Re: Question about floor heating (ondol)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
If you keep it on 24/7 you will get a bill for hundreds of thousands of won. It is really expensive.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »
There should be an "out" button on the thermostat, which is best to use when you are out of the house. This will keep turn it off and on as needed. I would use that and keep the temp reasonable, maybe 20, and then if you find you're too cold, adjust it when you get home. If you google "ondol thermostat" and select images, you can use the second picture to help you decode your thermostat.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
Turning it off and on is cheaper.

Leaving it on all day will cost a fortune.

Also remember when you turn it off it doesn't suddenly stop producing heat. The floor remains hot for a few hours until eventually cooling back down to room temp.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:21:12 AM »
Also as a previous person said, leave it on 외출 when you go out, especially if you live in a one-room, officetel, or villa. It'll keep your boiler from freezing. If you live in a modern apartment, it's not such a big concern.

And yeah - definitely don't leave it on 24-7.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 08:51:24 AM »
On another note, make sure that you don't leave it off for long periods in really cold weather. IF the pipes freeze, you are obligated to foot the bill to repair it.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »
If you keep it on 24/7 you will get a bill for hundreds of thousands of won. It is really expensive.

Depends on how modern and well-insulated the place is.
In our 3bed 2bath place we set the thermostat to 23C at the beggining of the heating season and never turn it down unless we go away for longer than a day. The most we pay in the coldest months is around 160-170k.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »

In our 3bed 2bath place we set the thermostat to 23C at the beggining of the heating season and never turn it down unless we go away for longer than a day. The most we pay in the coldest months is around 160-170k.

Holy crap!  That's a lot.  I've never paid more than 45k for my heating. 

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »

Like I said, it's a family size home so probably a lot bigger than the average one room or studio that teachers live in.
And is kept at 23C all the time. Also 3 of us showering and washing dishes after 3. Anyways, floor heating is not super expensive as many believe. As long as your home retains the heat with decent windows and insulated walls.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:30:45 AM »

Like I said, it's a family size home so probably a lot bigger than the average one room or studio that teachers live in.
And is kept at 23C all the time. Also 3 of us showering and washing dishes after 3. Anyways, floor heating is not super expensive as many believe. As long as your home retains the heat with decent windows and insulated walls.

True.  Never really thought about dished, showers, 1+ humans. etc etc. 

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »

True.  Never really thought about dished, showers, 1+ humans. etc etc.

It's all heated with gas, just like floor heating is.

As for me, my significant other and I live in recently built three-room apartment (not villa) and it's really well insulated. We haven't even turned the floor heating on once this year. It just hasn't been necessary, and it really is a lot more expensive to use it than it is to not use it.

We do have a small little space heater that we use in the living room in the evening, but otherwise yeah - hasn't really seemed necessary to heat the place.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
i just leave the ondol thermostat on 24/7

bills never usually go over 50k for the month, but i guess my place is brand new and well-insulated (actually, it gets too hot at times)

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »
it really is a lot more expensive to use it than it is to not use it.

That's hard to argue with  ;D  I just like the floor to be warm.

Btw, most laundry machines are also hooked up to the boiler and are taking in hot water. So doing laundry after more people, will also use more gas.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »

Btw, most laundry machines are also hooked up to the boiler and are taking in hot water. So doing laundry after more people, will also use more gas.

Who uses hot water to wash laundry? Unless it's like, towels or sheets.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »

Everyone should. I'm talking about a regular 40 Celsius degree wash. The washing machine can also heat up the water but it's more economic to do it with gas rather than electricity.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
I dont normally use it (space heater+blanket) but these next few days I'm rocking it all day so the pipes don't freeze.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »

Everyone should. I'm talking about a regular 40 Celsius degree wash. The washing machine can also heat up the water but it's more economic to do it with gas rather than electricity.
I've never used warm water for washing. Seems like a bit of a luxury. Then again, I'm African.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »

Wait - why should everyone use warm water for washing? I don't want to wear my clothes out faster, or risk them shrinking. Warm water makes the colours on clothing fade a lot faster than cold water. It's less environmentally friendly. It's more expensive.

Also - what sort of bizarre world do you live in in which a washing machine can heat water? Whether your boiler is gas or you have an electric water heater, the hot water is coming from an external source, not getting heated by the water itself.

Also -  for the record, in Korea, electricity is, in almost every instance, cheaper and more efficient than gas. That applies to heating water, too.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »

Wait - why should everyone use warm water for washing? I don't want to wear my clothes out faster, or risk them shrinking. Warm water makes the colours on clothing fade a lot faster than cold water. It's less environmentally friendly. It's more expensive.

Also - what sort of bizarre world do you live in in which a washing machine can heat water? Whether your boiler is gas or you have an electric water heater, the hot water is coming from an external source, not getting heated by the water itself.

Also -  for the record, in Korea, electricity is, in almost every instance, cheaper and more efficient than gas. That applies to heating water, too.

Laundry detergents work better in warm water instead of the icy cold one that comes from the tap in the winter. I had an old washer that only had cold water intake. Got rid if it. Warm water makes a huge difference in my experience. Especially when washing baby/toddler clothes with all the stains, it's a necessity.

As shocking as it may sound to you, washing machines have a heating element and are very capable of heating up the water. At least front loader washers do. It's not a modern thing either. Back in the eighties our laundry machine did the same.
Disagree with electricity being cheaper. Because of the progressive rate system. If you use under 200kwh a month, it's cheap. But the more you use, the more expensive it gets. Gas is flat rate.

It's less environmentally friendly. It's more expensive.

I feel the same way about dryers. Why waste energy on something that happens naturally? But to each on their own.
Washers have a temperature dial for a reason. It's not decoration.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:56:46 PM by Lazio »

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
Its hard to compare cost accurately. I know our summer time bills (i.e. aircon electricity) are way more expensive than our winter time gas bills. My wife has the ondol going all day in the living room and main bedroom. Especially with a baby.
Kpip! - Martin 2018