February 16, 2019, 03:43:43 PM

Author Topic: USPS Can't Deliver. What Can I Do?  (Read 458 times)

Offline shostager

• Veteran
USPS Can't Deliver. What Can I Do?
« on: December 24, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
My mom recently sent me a Christmas package, and it was due to arrive today. I just got an email that they attempted delivery at 11am, but it couldn't be delivered because "addressee not available at time of delivery". My mom didn't choose the option that requires a signature, so what could be the issue? Suggestions on how to get my package?

Info:
- She put my one-room address on there. No security guy to accept it for me. Last year they left it outside my door.
- They said they'd attempt to re-deliver on the next business day, but I'm gone ~9-5 every business day. I'm worried that they'll attempt a few more times, then just send it back or something.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: USPS Can't Deliver. What Can I Do?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 01:43:33 PM »
My mom recently sent me a Christmas package, and it was due to arrive today. I just got an email that they attempted delivery at 11am, but it couldn't be delivered because "addressee not available at time of delivery". My mom didn't choose the option that requires a signature, so what could be the issue? Suggestions on how to get my package?

Info:
- She put my one-room address on there. No security guy to accept it for me. Last year they left it outside my door.
- They said they'd attempt to re-deliver on the next business day, but I'm gone ~9-5 every business day. I'm worried that they'll attempt a few more times, then just send it back or something.

There will be a little post it note either on your door or your mailbox saying there was an attempted delivery, plus it'll have the next scheduled delivery. If you're not going to be around, the little post it will have the phone number of the delivery driver, so you can just send him a text or call him to ask him to leave it in front of your door.

Or, if you have failed deliveries two or three times, they'll just take it to your local post office, and you'll have to pick it up there, sometime before 6pm.

Hope that helps!

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
But don't worry - it won't be sent back as undelivered for at least three weeks. They'll keep it at the post office that long, and then if you don't come to collect it, that's when they'll either send it back or dispose of it, depending on how it was shipped.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
Thank you! Never had this issue before in five years...

Better late than never applies here, I guess.  :-[
As long as I get my Christmas presents!

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »
Thank you! Never had this issue before in five years...

Better late than never applies here, I guess.  :-[
As long as I get my Christmas presents!

It can be a little tricky. But find the Post It (guaranteed it's there) and you'll be totally okay! If you need more help, feel free to send a PM.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »
You may also call the post office directly, and have them track your package. At that time you can tell them when you will pick it up. Sometimes they don't give it to you small local post office, but to the package distribution post office of that area. It will be a larger facility which generally passes out the packages to the smaller places or delivery drivers.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
Problem solved, anyway: I called the number of the distribution center on the sticky (which they stuck on the front door of my whole building - never even called to try to get the code), and it was nearby, so I was able to pick up the package before Christmas! Easy peasy.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »

Info:

Call the delivery guy and get it delivered to your school.  I always get things shipped to my main school anyways.  It's just easier.  If you live in an apartment, then you can have it delivered to the security office.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »

Info:

Call the delivery guy and get it delivered to your school.  I always get things shipped to my main school anyways.  It's just easier.  If you live in an apartment, then you can have it delivered to the security office.

I generally get things shipped to my school, but my mom was worried that the box would be heavy and I would have to hold it for the entire subway ride home, rather than just drag it into my one-room. And unfortunately, my building is quite small (about 6 units total), so there's no security office. Delivery drivers have, until this point, always just left it outside my unit door, even calling for the building door code if needed (some of them already know it, I think). They just didn't call this time, for whatever reason.