January 21, 2019, 09:56:29 PM

Author Topic: Whats your strategy to have enough money to live off by the time you are 63  (Read 2198 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Whats your strategy to have enough money to live off by the time you are 63
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
Oh dear. A lot of red. And I though Republicans were great at running the economy/
I agree that the right-wing stuff about Democrats running states into the ground is a bunch of nonsense, but you also have to factor in their debt and their overall outlook.

I'm not sure where, but I think that once you factor in everything you get a pretty even distribution. You've got some high debt basketcases run by Dems and you have some terrible economy "would barely be OECD" type states run by Republicans, some business friendly high-growth states run by Republicans and same with the Dems and then a bunch of states in the middle, some with good economies but bad debt structure, others with mediocre economies but are relatively okay in terms of debt or you have to factor in their population size and such.

Both parties know how to eff up a state pretty well if left to their worst impulses. 

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 12:55:32 PM »
Both parties know how to eff up a state pretty well if left to their worst impulses.
No argument from me there.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
But then you have eslers saying it's fine which is part of the problem.  Damn apologists.  But EPIK did say they had some shortage of teachers.  So, that may help push wages up if it keeps up.

They're rejecting people and they have a shortage?

I've just been rejected by EPIK! It's frustrating. I am an experienced teacher, and I have good references

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »
But then you have eslers saying it's fine which is part of the problem.  Damn apologists.  But EPIK did say they had some shortage of teachers.  So, that may help push wages up if it keeps up.

They're rejecting people and they have a shortage?

I've just been rejected by EPIK! It's frustrating. I am an experienced teacher, and I have good references

An experienced teacher is not what they want.
There is a shortage of barely* qualified people willing to do the job for the pay offered.

*They don't want to waste time with somebody who is going to consider the job beneath them and leave after a few weeks.

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 10:14:44 PM »
If you thought stealing lottery tickets was irrational, consider all those back home whose retirement hopes hinge on BUYING lottery tickets.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 10:47:54 PM »

[/quote]

Why did they reject you? Any idea?

usually they do not want experienced teachers, they want inexperienced ones, the younger the better, with a certain look (white, fair-haired, american, female). I'm assuming you don't fit that description.
Catch my drift?

Online PatrickBateman

• Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2018, 12:05:29 AM »
Good News.  If you save 1k a month you'll be a millionaire by retirement. Teaching ESL for life son.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/12/how-much-money-youll-have-in-retirement-if-you-save-500-dollars-a-month.html

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
The way costs are going up here, it's going to be not staying here.  Unless salaries are going up, I'd say exiting within the next 5 years.  This is as someone speaking from a 3 plus million won a month total compensation.  I'm still not hurting as much, but will start feeling the pinch.  (Are folks still taking 2.1 million with no return flight?  I couldn't even imagine.)