January 20, 2019, 11:44:07 AM

Author Topic: American caught for lottery shop robbery  (Read 2054 times)

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: No words for this
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »
At about 7:45 someone comments about the teacher not knowing Korean despite having lived in Korea for 30 years.

That may be true, although the question to be asked is why do 99% of Japan expats learn fluent Japanese relatively quickly yet this does not occur in Korea?

The fact is that most teachers are kept as temporary here so there is little incentive to learn the language. There is no permanence to the status of most FT's in Korea, all is unpredictable. Even those marrying locals generally move back to the west after a few years.

The FT's situation is just not comparable to the situation of someone immigrating to a new country and settling there permanently.
As I understand Japanese is like a simplified version of Korean- less grammar and easier pronunciation. So becoming conversational in Japanese is probably significantly easier.

I don't think the effort/reward ratio of learning Korean is worth it for most foreigners (beyond a basic level).

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
She also says a bunch of things about English teachers in Korea and crime but I didn't understand that part very well. 

Maybe she was pointing out that they commit crime at a lower rate than the national average  :smiley:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 06:41:42 AM »
shocked at the way the cops manhandled the guy. and then shot him with a stun gun. i've never seen or heard of korean cops acting that way towards a korean, no matter how violent the korean was being. and this guy wasn't even being violent at all.

I think they shot him first upon entry. Also, dude is significantly larger and only one person can enter through the door. He could essentially '300' a bunch of average Korean cops.

Aside from the whole strong-armed robbery thing he wasn't violent. Just a gentle giant.

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 08:03:55 AM »
Commentary on the incident:

At about 7:45 someone comments about the teacher not knowing Korean despite having lived in Korea for 30 years. Another person says that the teacher made no effort to adapt to Korea and that he had no love or affection for Korea. Then a lady comments about it being difficult for him to find a job because of his age. She also says a bunch of things about English teachers in Korea and crime but I didn't understand that part very well. 

Another case study to be discussed at the next hagwon association seminar.....

I can't believe this incident warrants a 10 minute panel discussion by the media. Had the perpetrator been Korean, this would have barely made the news.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Commentary on the incident:

At about 7:45 someone comments about the teacher not knowing Korean despite having lived in Korea for 30 years. Another person says that the teacher made no effort to adapt to Korea and that he had no love or affection for Korea. Then a lady comments about it being difficult for him to find a job because of his age. She also says a bunch of things about English teachers in Korea and crime but I didn't understand that part very well. 

Another case study to be discussed at the next hagwon association seminar.....

I can't believe this incident warrants a 10 minute panel discussion by the media. Had the perpetrator been Korean, this would have barely made the news.

Also why is one of the guys on the panel shouting? It's extremely irritating.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »
Actually it would. You look at a lot of the crime stories that make the news here and many of them are things that would never make it past local back home, but that's partly a reflection of the nature of crime here and the fact that in such a small country, "all news is local" in a way. You'll see these panels talk about some road rage incident or some dumb ajumma-in-training princess tantrum that is big on noise and people staring and gasping and low on actual damage or injury.