March 25, 2019, 01:51:33 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: The Tefl (re)Education Program  (Read 741 times)

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
The Tefl (re)Education Program
« on: December 24, 2018, 04:38:34 AM »
A Totally Painless Lesson Plan

By Todd Persaud

How the Problems Start to Creep Up on You!
Many people often ask me what are some activities and games that you can give in your class to take the pressure off of having to constantly exert yourself.  I have to admit that sometimes that feeling persists despite your most earnest efforts to silence you inner grownup. I should know, really, because my inner kid shuts him down often. Many days youíre just going to want to put in the effort and work for your money. Iím sorry. However, there were more days than I can count where I felt the complete opposite. You will feel the same way at times. How can you not? Youíre human. These things happen! 

As you get better at this, youíll soon devise ways to get your students to be just self-motivated enough that they can continue with activities on their own without your constant monitoring and guided attention.  Let me tell you that the lesson is hard fought, but somehow you end up coming out on top, like the proverbial underdog, like Underdog.

I know this for a fact because Iíve been through it and I know the struggle. I know what it means to give it your all every day and not have anybody notice what youíre doing. To feel somewhat unappreciated despite your most earnest efforts to craft these amazing lesson plans, only to have them derailed by some negative remarks said by either your students or your colleagues. Everyoneís a critic thanks to social media! Trust me, Iíve been there. This can be a very degrading, discouraging, and demeaning experience that one goes through when they give their all to a profession. One lesson I learned very early, fortunately, is that you should never fall in love with your job. Itís true, in fact, you should downright avoid enjoying it. Wait, before you stop me and say ďWhat kind of a life lesson is that?!Ē hear me out.

You should never give your all to your job like itís some kind of romance. Not that you shouldnít work hard and give more than what youíre paid for. However, you should never grow attached to your position. You are there for a reason, and that is to fulfill a responsibility and it doesnít matter how that is done. This can bring a sense of ease and comfort in everything you do, whether itís teaching, another profession, or falling in love.
I pride myself on being a game changer for many people, especially the lives of so many disheartened and discouraged English teachers all over the world. Iím like the Oprah of teaching English, but less wealthy. This (and my new book, shameless plug) can change lives for those who work draconian hours and struggle to create ideal lesson plans that fit all types of students in various environments, which is an uphill battle. Let me be the first to tell you, if you arenít aware by now, that that just isnít realistic. If anything, itís masochistic!

A Tough Pill to Swallow (Iím Sorry!)
You will never have the perfect lesson plan. Iím sorry. I know this comes as a gut punch for those of you who think there is such a thing as a perfect lesson plan. I know, I was there.

You canít satisfy everyone, you just canít.  Your creator gave you limited faculties to work with, consisting mostly of walking, talking and thinking.  And a host of other ones too, but thereís only so much of those other faculties one can use before they get exhausted and literally blow a fuse, or a blood vessel, am I right?

Please donít become one of those kooky English teachers who completely hit rock bottom and drink themselves stupid on a Saturday night in the local disco. That would be sad.

Donít invent some ideal lofty cause that you created in your imagination. Let me tell you there is no such thing as a cause. You get paid money to teach English in a way that is fun and entertaining for some people. Some people. But you cannot, and I repeat for emphasis, cannot please everyone and nor should you ever try. The path is futile, grasshopper.

Thus, I am giving you a simple lesson plan here that I have used repeatedly throughout my English teaching career, whether it was in the United States, in South Korea, or Thailand.  It is based on a ton of research by Cambridge and the British Council and it is repeatedly recommended in a variety of textbooks. I will not fight what the experts say. They cannot all be incompetent, right?

Iím just doing what they tell me to do. Itís so much easier to rest on the shoulders of giants, taking the work thatís already been done through painstaking effort, and just applying it to your own living circumstances. It worked for Elon Musk.   And seriously, why fight it? Just scream Uncle and take what works and donít look back, just leave your Uncle out of it.  Itís there for a reason.

Iím only speaking common sense here, yet we find many English teachers in Asia and Central America trying to reinvent the wheel. Trying to martyr themselves to some imaginary cause instead of doing what the many successful and happy teachers have learned rather quickly: weíre not all that different from Spring Breakers on the beaches of Cancun, we want to get paid to go on vacation. Ooh, ouch, burn! Iím sorry! I know, you thought you were a real teacher right? Yes, so did I. Iím sorry, but the truth is you want to see the world, and thatís okay too. 

And yet, over and over again, so many teachers are toiling away like some kind of a mad scientist in his laboratory, or a witch and her cauldron (if you want gender specific metaphors), brewing weird concoctions that stench up the whole classroom and make the administrators wonder what kind of an odd job they hired from the States. Trust me wearing that hat and carrying a broom is not helping.   

This really does happen! I swear! I was one of them!

These teachers are actually so uptight and scared that they are trying to create brand new creative untested lesson plans from scratch. I mean, thereís research on lesson plans that have been done for a reason. So that people wouldnít have to work this hard!  Meanwhile, these teachers arenít winning any prizes, and oftentimes, they get blank stares from the students who have no idea whatís going on because the lesson plans they are being given are nonsensical.  No, these teachers will not be thanked and at best, they will eventually get worn out and stop doing what clearly doesnít work.

If youíre one of these teachers, stop it! You have my permission. Really. Youíre not helping anyone, least of all yourself and definitely not any other teachers working with you. And youíre making the rest of us spring breakers look bad, like really bad.

But seriously, this may very well be your come-to-Jesus moment. Just relax and get a tan!

One of my goals is to try and help many English teachers to not do any work. Howís that for logic? Will you take my hand, my child? Come to the dark side.

Becoming an English teacher that travels should be exciting! 

You get to explore your new country and meet new people. It should be a time for you to explore the world you live in, enjoy it, to live out the adventure you had always imagined you would live before you left your home country. Youíre alive! This might be it, you have no idea! 

It is not a time to be toiling away on lesson plans in your dungeon or Spartan apartment.  It is not the time for you to be spending forty hours a week sitting down and watching the YouTube video of Justin Bieber to assess whether itís culturally appropriate for your next lesson, FYI heís not. This is no way to live, and I want this article, in part, to show you that there is a better, easier, and more enjoyable way. There IS a light! Success doesnít have to be hard, it just has to be accessible.

Teaching 102: The Lesson Plan Of Simplicity
Okay, hereís the game plan, should you choose to accept it. Most of the information I will provide in this article for your brand new lesson plan is actually nothing new. In fact, itís based on research presented in the book Planning Lessons and Courses, otherwise known as a completely legitimate resource that you can use in lieu of working your ass off, otherwise called working smart and not hard. Youíre welcome, now keep reading.  This lesson plan has been used by many devoted English teachers all over the world in various countries. It is just as relevant in South Korea as it is in Spain, Mexico, and Russia. You will no doubt benefit from this lesson plan as it is based on human nature which doesnít change. Iím sorry, technology hasnít evolved us that much. 
If you get nothing else from this article, please take the following to heart (or at least burn it into your mind): Donít fight human nature and donít fight the principles of the world. Just work with them and make them work FOR you! 
So, without further ado, here is the lesson plan. Are you ready? Itís a super simple intuitive lesson plan that anyone can apply anywhere in the world.  I did this lesson plan in South Korea and Mexico, and it worked wonders for many different levels of fluency and many different ages, in many different countries. Here it is:

The Lesson Plan (Donít shoot the messenger, and yes it is this easy! So donít get mad, get to reading.)

Write the following sentence on a whiteboard or chalkboard, whatever you have.  The sentence can be very easy: ďThe dog ran home.Ē  You put this sentence on the board and then you invite the closest student to you to come to the board and add a word to the sentence that still makes it grammatically correct. 

They can only add one word. So, for example, the first student could add the word ďquicklyĒ to the sentence to make the sentence new: ďthe dog ran quickly home.Ē Then the next student comes to the board and adds another word and you see how far you can expand this sentence. You can also start with a completely absurdly long sentence and do the reverse. Reduce the sentence until it canít be reduced anymore.

That is it, that is your lesson plan. What, you were expecting worksheets? PPT slides? A whole mťlange of writing? Iím sorry, none of that is necessary, or practical. Human nature wants simple stuff like that. It doesnít want complex. If it wanted complex, it would make us computers, not ape like creatures.
This plan takes up a whole 30 minutes depending on how many students you have in your class. It is absolutely riveting for most students, including and especially adults! They donít want to read boring textbooks anymore than children do! I told you, some things never change! Human nature? Pretty fixed, my friend, just ask Darwin.

You didnít think lesson planning could be this easy, eh?  Oh, but it is, and there are so many more where that came from.  If you are interested in more activities such as the one I just gave you right here, you are invited to purchase my new book The Tefl (re) Education Program, which is available on Amazon. 

In this book, I explore the many strategies you can use to not only cope with your new teaching environment but also with the surrounding culture. You will learn how to conduct yourself in a community that is likely to have certain expectations of you as the guest English teacher. Key word here, guest English teacher. No, not career English teacher or even long-term English teacher or even English teacher forever. Guest English teacher. Which pretty much sums up the level of expertise youíre expected to have, very little because no one expects a lot from a guest. Bottom line: keep your expectations low, theirs are.

In this book, I will teach you how to manage your class, your school, your new community. As far as I can tell, the book is worth not only my own TEFL education but also my yearsí worth of experience in the field. Itís absolutely priceless, and I think it will save you a lot of the drudge work I had to go through to figure this stuff out on my own. Consider yourself fortunate for having read these words just now! I wish I had this book back then.

Conclusion: Canít Say I Didnít Warn You! I mean you really canít! 

Lesson planning doesnít have to be tough, in fact, it can and should be a breeze, almost effortless, perhaps even forgettable, like a bad date. And it definitely doesnít have to take hours. At most, it should take seconds. And even seconds start to get tedious! Pretty soon, you should be counting your lesson planning in nanoseconds! Come on you can count in nanoseconds, right? And sometimes all it takes is you writing in your planner that you have to repeat a lesson because not everybody was in attendance or not everybody understood the first time. Yes, it still counts as lesson planning if you repeat a lesson! Itís called recycling.  In fact, I highly encourage you to repeat your lessons as often as you possibly can to string the whole year out for yourself so that you can busily get drunk and tan. And if you need scientific research to back your reasons for repeating things instead of lesson planning, studies show that spaced-repetition aids in the learning process, not to mention a happier, more relaxed English teacher, which counts for something I reckon! I mean the goal was to get away from the real world right? (see Barbara Oakleyís seminal work on the subject, A Mind for Numbers). 

You might encounter some colleagues of yours who disagree with your methods. Who downright resist you for living life on your terms and not being as crabby, resentful and alcoholic as they have become. Resist this! Let them work hard while youíre working smart. After all, they donít have to live your life. You do! Hello?! This is your wake up call! They are 99% water anyway, so in the grand scheme of things, they donít really matter. None of us do, but I guess this is another topic for a different blog! Sorry sometimes I get deep, but never in my work!

From a practical standpoint, unless they can fire you, I donít see how their opinions, attitudes, and/or perceptions matter to you at all.  Ultimately, no oneís opinion matters but your own in any endeavor you take up in your own life. Because itís yours to enjoy!  But on the off-chance that you still arenít convinced by me or the arguments laid out here, I highly recommend the NY Times Bestseller The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck for a little extra convincing, if this is what you need. 

Ultimately, what matters is whether you are living by your own standards of what is right in the worldóthis includes loving yourself!--and whether you are giving yourself the most prosperity you possibly can or just finding yourself outside the ďnormalĒ world.  As a student of prosperity myself, I can honestly say the road to prosperity is through simplicity and, yes, easy, effortless lesson plans, so be enlightened while working less.
Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Online Renma

• Adventurer
Re: The Tefl (re)Education Program
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
Why does everybody adopt this tedious writing style when trying to push an e-book.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:01:14 AM »
So, what is The dog ran home 'lesson plan' actually supposed to be teaching the students? What are the lesson aims? After thirty minutes the students will be able to do... what exactly? And what are the other thirty students supposed to be doing when the one student you've chosen to come up to the board walks up and stands staring stupidly at the sentence for five minutes without being able to think of anything to write? What happens when the students realise you can just add adjectives to the sentence ad infinitum and still make it gramatically correct? Are you going to get into the massively complicated area of adjective order?

The activity is a warmer you can make last at most ten minutes if you carefully select the most intelligent students to come up or only the ones who put their hands up. The rest of the class will be uninvolved. Also I guarantee if you try that activity for thirty minutes in an adult class, you'll get complaints.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:13:56 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
I think an activity like that is fine for a small group as a nice warm up.  Calling it a lesson plan is a bit of a stretch though and if I used it to fill 30 minutes with a large class I'd be sweating haha.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
wow, that's a long advertisement.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
So, what is The dog ran home 'lesson plan' actually supposed to be teaching the students? What are the lesson aims? After thirty minutes the students will be able to do... what exactly? And what are the other thirty students supposed to be doing when the one student you've chosen to come up to the board walks up and stands staring stupidly at the sentence for five minutes without being able to think of anything to write? What happens when the students realise you can just add adjectives to the sentence ad infinitum and still make it gramatically correct? Are you going to get into the massively complicated area of adjective order?

The activity is a warmer you can make last at most ten minutes if you carefully select the most intelligent students to come up or only the ones who put their hands up. The rest of the class will be uninvolved. Also I guarantee if you try that activity for thirty minutes in an adult class, you'll get complaints.
a lot of my adult students tell me they didn't like their previous teacher, exactly because they didn't plan very much, teach anything useful, or structure the lessons in any meaningful way.

basically, doing what exactly this guy is promoting

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 03:37:01 PM »
@oglop They are stories and advise given from a comedic perspective.  They hold practical value, but also advise the reader on how to take the easy road without falling into the traps you mentioned :-)
Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Offline dud3337

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
very good ^^

Online SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 04:10:27 AM »
wow...took me awhile to realise he wasn't serious.  :cheesy:
-Fiat voluntas tua-