March 19, 2019, 01:30:38 PM

Author Topic: IS EPIK STILL WORTH IT-OR IS IT A CRAZY WASTE OF TIME?  (Read 5537 times)

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
Re: IS EPIK STILL WORTH IT-OR IS IT A CRAZY WASTE OF TIME?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »

They like working here...LIVING here is another story....they basically all commute from Ulsan or Busan.

Yep. Teaching in South Korea is an elite career. Most Korean teachers are going to prefer to live in a big city where there is lots of good food and where they can send their kids to good hagwons and good public schools. Not in a depressing rural area where all the food is low quality and there are tons of social problems like child abuse.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 03:10:19 PM »

They like working here...LIVING here is another story....they basically all commute from Ulsan or Busan.

Yep. Teaching in South Korea is an elite career. Most Korean teachers are going to prefer to live in a big city where there is lots of good food and where they can send their kids to good hagwons and good public schools. Not in a depressing rural area where all the food is low quality and there are tons of social problems like child abuse.

Hahahaha, what? How can you think the quality of rural food is lower than the average food you find in the big metropolitan cities?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 03:13:06 PM »
Hahahaha, what? How can you think the quality of rural food is lower than the average food you find in the big metropolitan cities?

Can you imagine living near farms and then eating near farms? The food is local and fresh? Gross.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »

Maybe he means low quality in the sense of not being able to buy so much foreign food.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 03:19:24 PM »

Maybe he means low quality in the sense of not being able to buy so much foreign food.

I don't get it.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 03:24:36 PM »

I don't get it.

Like you go into the local food store and they only have processed cheese.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »

I don't get it.

Restaurants and grocery stores in the countryside sell really low quality food. Half the time when I would buy meat it would be rotten. I would take a 3 hour roundtrip bus ride to Daejeon just to go to Emart and buy meat that was edible.

If you have an iron stomach and are fine eating rotten meat and the roadside weeds that you buy at rural Korean  markets, then I guess you would enjoy eating in the countryside. I did not.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »
the local marts often sell dodgy fresh produce and items almost past sell-by dates. well, a lot of them. even my parents in law tell me which ones to avoid in their neighbourhood, as they have experienced it too

i always try to shop at the big stores too. or order fresh produce online from coupang/market kurly (i recommend this!!!)

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:37 PM »
Farming areas sell there best produce to the suppliers for the big box places as  they will pay the highest prices. Small/Mid sized marts have shite produce at the best of times. Put that together with selling to old people who are more used to using half turned food, means marts in rural areas often have the worst of the worst stuff on sale.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
The food where I live is fine. There's TONS of fresh produce on sale.

TBF though it probably depends HOW rural you mean. We have some biggish marts near me. The choice isn't AS good as near the city obviously but it's not low quality at all.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2019, 06:53:27 PM »

TBF though it probably depends HOW rural you mean. We have some biggish marts near me. The choice isn't AS good as near the city obviously but it's not low quality at all.

Oh goodie, fresh roadside weeds, fresh carrots and cucumbers that taste like dirt, and fresh disgusting Korean melons.

When I lived in a rural town, there were a few small marts. There was a Nonghyup Hanaro Mart which was the best, but it still sold rotten meat. To get edible food you had to drive 90+ minutes to Daejeon or Cheongju and go to E-Mart or Home Plus or Costco. When I moved to Cheongju there was a Hanaro Mart and guess what, it never sold rotten meat.

Online SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2019, 05:26:20 AM »
Epik=rotten food?
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2019, 08:04:24 AM »

Oh goodie, fresh roadside weeds, fresh carrots and cucumbers that taste like dirt, and fresh disgusting Korean melons.

When I lived in a rural town, there were a few small marts. There was a Nonghyup Hanaro Mart which was the best, but it still sold rotten meat. To get edible food you had to drive 90+ minutes to Daejeon or Cheongju and go to E-Mart or Home Plus or Costco. When I moved to Cheongju there was a Hanaro Mart and guess what, it never sold rotten meat.

Oh right so let's just disregard what I say because there was rotten food where you lived...therefore I MUST be wrong and it must taste like garbage. Silly me.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2019, 08:18:24 AM »
    I live in an 읍 about an hour out from major urban centres, but I've never really had any issues with the quality of food out here. I did have beef with the fact that a lot of western foods were hard to come by when I first arrived, but over the last ten years, things have slowly improved in that regard until I can now pretty much find everything I want without too much effort (except pizza-pockets :cry: ).
    In our town, we have a pretty huge farmer's market that runs everyday that ends with a 4 or 9 (which makes getting to and from work a bit like playing frogger), and the local produce is super duper cheap. Most of it is also pretty decent quality (although I distrust the seafood seeing as we live as far away from the coast as is physically possible in Korea and I've seen how that stuff is transported -- there's a reason hongeo is so popular in these parts!!), and I definitely know the difference between good and bad as I basically grew up in a giant vegetable garden (so much weeding...).

Offline Allpointseast

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »
 I have taught in rural Korea, in a village. There was a market, and small shops. There was a big Korean barbecue restaurant. The food there was good, but there wasn't the full range of banchan dishes you'd get elsewhere. There was a great chicken restaurant in the village. There were small local shops. I don't remember food being past its sell by date, but I found that if I took the bus into town, there was a wider variety in the supermarket.
   A couple of times the school had special meals at restaurants in neighbouring small towns where the food was amazing.
   The fact that we're discussing rural food suggests that EPIK might be turning into Rural EPIK, or REPIK.