March 23, 2019, 12:12:58 AM

Author Topic: Coteacher mind change - anyone else get this?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Joshuaflo

• Waygookin
Coteacher mind change - anyone else get this?
« on: December 21, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Background on this: one of my coteachers (of 3) decided to set up our class so that me and her each teach different lessons in our different classrooms. Basically, I'm in charge of certain lessons and she's in charge of others. I go through lessons slower than she does because I only see each class once a week, while she sees them multiple times a week. She tells me to choose which lesson I want to teach (2 each semester for me). This is a severe alteration from how the rest of the grades are taught, but she wants to do it this way for some reason.
So here we are, 1.5 days left before the start of the winter holiday, and she tells that she already went and finished the lesson that I had picked in her class. We're a little over halfway through in my class. So instead, she wants me to spend the last few classes in February teaching the last lesson in the book. I tell her that I already have materials ready for my lesson, and I have nothing ready for that lesson. She says that she appreciates my effort, but the "curriculum" is more important. Besides, I have the vacation coming up to work on it. I don't think she knows that I'm heading back home for the vacation.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:23:44 PM by Joshuaflo »

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Coteacher mind change - anyone else get this?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
Yeah sucks, BUT the last lesson is always the one to scrapped or rushed through. The teachers need to finish the book by the end of semester (mostly) even if the students don't get tested.

So all in all just eat it, be cool and understanding. There are much bigger fish to fry on the horizon.

Happy Holidays!

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
Yes.  Prepare materials for the lesson you have now been assigned by your immediate supervisor.

Offline Allpointseast

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:47:33 PM »
  I am slightly confused. Do you mean that the co-teacher has covered everything leaving you with nothing to teach before the vacation starts? If So might want to try doing a revision class, covering the materials that have already been covered, especially if there is an area where the kids had dificulty. It's worth asking your co-teacher about that option.

Otherwise, a Christmas themed lesson, or a ppt. lesson from this website, or from Bogglesworld/Lanternfish might be an option.

If you are with EPIK , at least you'll get a vacation. Unlike the kinder-elementaries, you don't have to work 10 hours a day.  I know life is difficult, but it could be worse.

Offline Joshuaflo

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
Allpointseast, not exactly. This is in reference to what lessons will remain in February after the winter break.
My coteacher told me to pick a lesson, so I picked one and made materials for it. I have enough materials to take me through February and finish the lesson then. But now, she says that instead of the lesson that I picked and made materials for, she wants me to teach the latter part of an entirely different lesson for which I am unprepared. In addition, we aren't finished with my lesson yet, but she says that she went ahead and finished my lesson in her own class. This makes the situation even more confusing for me, because she somehow made time in her class to finish the latter half of my lesson, but didn't think to finish the latter half of the lesson that was hers.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Offline DaStrongOne

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »
Firstly, you never should've agreed to split up the lessons like that. It's easier for you two to plan, but it's not beneficial for the students. I had a CoT try to do it that way, but I voiced my concerns and she switched.

Secondly, move on. She finished the lesson; plan for the next. Maybe you can use your best materials from that lesson as review later on

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
I'd say, use what hours you have at work to work out a basic lesson, at least... if you need to, borrow things from here or another lesson sharing site. I'd also (if it were me) make said co-teacher well aware that I'd prepare what I could during my work hours so that I have something to present for the lesson; however, it is definitely not my responsibility to work outside of my work hours. If she is going to need to change things, she should be willing to work that out prior to the last minute, because things do not produce themselves out of thin air. And if she wants quality lessons, she needs to expect that it takes time to produce such materials. And under no circumstances is it acceptable to expect someone to do work outside their designated work hours. Your time is just that... YOUR TIME.

That said, do the best you can with the time you have available, and best of luck!

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »
She should have left it for you.  Well, download something from waygook.  Is it the last chapter you have to finish?  Find a game using that chapter's key expressions and add it to whatever pages you have to teach using mostly the book.  Throw in some of what you did for a 'review' too.  Problem solved.  Make the lesson so so since you already did the work and she flipped it around on you.