March 27, 2019, 06:35:00 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Being let go for being "too expensive"  (Read 3907 times)

Offline plan b

• Veteran
Being let go for being "too expensive"
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »

After 5 years of being at my public school, I was just told I wasn't going to be renewed. The reason being that I am "too expensive". I make 2.5 million a month, and they are going to hire someone for 2 million. They told me that they have to spend more money on me than the allocated 40 million which they are provided for by the city budget for a NET. Lowering my salary is not possible according to them. Not the Christmas present I wanted this year.

Has anyone else been let go because they are "too expensive"?

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Being let go for being "too expensive"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »

After 5 years of being at my public school, I was just told I wasn't going to be renewed. The reason being that I am "too expensive". I make 2.5 million a month, and they are going to hire someone for 2 million. They told me that they have to spend more money on me than the allocated 40 million which they are provided for by the city budget for a NET. Lowering my salary is not possible according to them. Not the Christmas present I wanted this year.

You can fight this if you want to. When the time comes ask for renewal paperwork, make sure to record any conversations about it. Then if they don't renew you, you can file a complaint with the labor board. They have to show reason for not renewing you, real reason not just because of how much you earn.

** Also if you have NEIS system go on there and download your reviews and save them as evidence.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:27:51 AM by thunderlips »

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:15:17 AM »
Well that's just a big "f*ck you" isn't it?  What a way to reward loyalty.  It just shows how seriously we're taken here. 

Are you getting the chance to move to a different school?

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
Pretty sure if they audited every Public School then they will see a lot of budget money being allocated elsewhere.

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »

You can fight this if you want to. When the time comes ask for renewal paperwork, make sure to record any conversations about it. Then if they don't renew you, you can file a complaint with the labor board. They have to show reason for not renewing you, real reason not just because of how much you earn.

** Also if you have NEIS system go on there and download your reviews and save them as evidence.

Thanks for tip about the labor board. I will look into that now.

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
Well that's just a big "f*ck you" isn't it?  What a way to reward loyalty.  It just shows how seriously we're taken here. 

No chance of going to another school through them.  I am a direct school hire, not through EPIK or another program. I'm on my own

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »
Contact Seoul Global center for advice. Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

http://global.seoul.go.kr/user.do?menu_id=0213000000&site_code=0101

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »

No chance of going to another school through them.  I am a direct school hire, not through EPIK or another program. I'm on my own

Wow that really is a snake move by them.  Hope the labor board can help  :sad:

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
I am afraid this is par for the course in the ESL industry no matter the country. They use you, abuse you and toss you away when they have finished with you. It doesn't matter if you are the best teacher in the universe, when they have squeezed all your usefulness out of you, you are disposable. No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty.

I really hope you can get some satisfaction from the Labour Board. Try your MOE too, it is worth a shot.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »
It doesn't matter if you are the best teacher in the universe, when they have squeezed all your usefulness out of you, you are disposable.

You make him sound like Boxer out of Animal farm. They'll be sending him off to the glue factory in a van marked with Teachers' Retirement home.  :smiley:

On the other hand if they have squeezed all the usefulness out of you, you are surely therefore useless, and what company wants to keep on a useless employee ?

Loyalty to companies goes both ways and nowadays there's no real shame for employees to move companies for a better offer. Consequently why should there be about a company deciding they can get someone as good or better for cheaper?  As long as they're not breaking someone's contract, I can't see the problem.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
The problem would be replacing an older experienced teacher who is good at teaching with a cheaper, inexperienced younger (mostly likely female) applicant whose teaching ability is unknown. That could be unfair to the students.

In 2006, there were 15,001 E2s. The male to female ratio was 8,992 / 6,009. (Males tend to travel overseas alone more and are thus more likely to apply.)

Now in 2018, there are 13,897 E2s. (The market shrank due to decreased demand.) The male to female ratio is 5,875 / 8,022.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 12:27:08 PM »
The problem would be replacing an older experienced teacher who is good at teaching with a cheaper, inexperienced younger (mostly likely female) applicant whose teaching ability is unknown. That could be unfair to the students.

In 2006, there were 15,001 E2s. The male to female ratio was 8,992 / 6,009. (Males tend to travel overseas alone more and are thus more likely to apply.)

Now in 2018, there are 13,897 E2s. (The market shrank due to decreased demand.) The male to female ratio is 5,875 / 8,022.

That's their decision to make. They obviously feel in that role, an extra 500,000 a month isn't worth it to have an experienced teacher. Or maybe they're confident they can get another experienced teacher who'll still cost them less.

Offline KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45:33 PM »
EPIK isn't about education, it's all about politics.

Once you realize this, letting you go makes perfect sense.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
I was just told I wasn't going to be renewed. The reason being that I am "too expensive". I make 2.5 million a month

They told me that they have to spend more money on me than the allocated 40 million which they are provided for by the city budget for a NET.

40 million a year is about 3.5 million a month. I can't see how you'd be making much more than that in total remuneration. So... offer to move into smaller, more dilapidated housing. That should get you under the 40 mil mark.

(Hell, maybe the reason they gave might not even be true. But if it is, that could help you. Worth a shot.)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
That's their decision to make. They obviously feel in that role, an extra 500,000 a month isn't worth it to have an experienced teacher. Or maybe they're confident they can get another experienced teacher who'll still cost them less.

OR maybe the middle aged married Korean guy in charge of hiring wants a young, hot female to flirt with. That's his decision to make right?  :sad:

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »

OR maybe the middle aged married Korean guy in charge of hiring wants a young, hot female to flirt with. That's his decision to make right?  :sad:

Yes and if it backfires on him and she's useless, he should be accountable.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »
The problem is, others wouldn't know he purposely hired a female out of lust.

The reaction is most likely to be, "Westerners in public schools are a waste of money."

In 2003, there were 10,322 E2s. 6,714 were male and 4,108 were female.
In 2018, there are 13,897 E2s. 5,875 are male and 8,022 are female.

The number of male E2s is now what it was in 2001.

Schools always wanted females from the United States as their first choice... but they took what they could get. Now, with the increased popularity of K-pop, the pool of applicants has grown / is growing. 

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
The problem is, others wouldn't know he purposely hired a female out of lust.

The reaction is most likely to be, "Westerners in public schools are a waste of money."

In 2003, there were 10,322 E2s. 6,714 were male and 4,108 were female.
In 2018, there are 13,897 E2s. 5,875 are male and 8,022 are female.

The number of male E2s is now what it was in 2001.

Schools always wanted females from the United States as their first choice... but they took what they could get. Now, with the increased popularity of K-pop, the pool of applicants has grown / is growing.

You see a direct correlation with k pop popularity and the increased numbers of young Western women wanting to come to Korea to teach? Maybe. I've been here fifteen years and as far as I recall, according to Koreans  k pop has always been 'popular all over the world'. Is the music genre in general more popular in the West these days or is it just BTS?   

Re Koreans wanting to employ young women, it might also be down to the fact that the majority of those teachers will be at elementary schools where the majority of Korean teachers will be women. Plus the idea that women are natural nurturers and thus better with young kids. Plus the old, we don't want foreign teachers messing with our women reason
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:41:35 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »
EPIK's webpage was updated to reflect the changing times.

http://www.epik.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=52&menuNo=281

^^^^from this stock photo:

Offline KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
It shows you right there how much integrity EPIK has.

Absolutely shameful. 

I would contact the owner of that photo & inform them (including the model) that their (and her) image are being used w/o their consent.

See how far that goes.