January 21, 2019, 09:35:19 PM

Author Topic: Transferring money UK  (Read 490 times)

Online APH

• Adventurer
Transferring money UK
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »
Any fellow Britís that can tell me the easiest way to transfer money from my Korean bank to my U.K. bank? I donít think transferwise works for sending money from Korea -> U.K. anymore does it?

The whole online banking/payment situation out here is stressing me out with the amount of steps you seem to have to go through to do anything.

Iím with Hana bank here and NatWest in the U.K. and Iím just looking to send a couple of hundred £ to my U.K. account.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Transferring money UK
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
Iím with Hana bank here and NatWest in the U.K.

Snap.

I gave up because Natwest effectively closed my account. I mean, I didn't make any transaction for over 6 months so they turned it into a dormant account. If I want to re-activate it, I have to show up in the UK with ID at a Natwest branch in the UK. Very annoying.

Iím just looking to send a couple of hundred £ to my U.K. account.

Hana transactions are complicated, so you best either get a Korean to help you with it, or find an English speaker at one of the international branches to help you go through it.

What I did is ask them to make my card for international use. So that way I can just withdraw cash when I get to the UK.

Catch my drift?

Online APH

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »
Yeah the whole banking and online payment stuff is already doing my head in with how complicated it is.

I did think about just waiting until I get home and trying to withdraw from an atm as I noticed itís a Visa card. Thought this could be risky though as if they block my card for Ďunusual activityí god knows how Iíd go about getting it unblocked.

Another problem I have is I donít actually have time to go to the bank. Iím literally at work from when the bank opens to when it closes and of course they close all weekend  >:(

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
Yeah the whole banking and online payment stuff is already doing my head in with how complicated it is.

No kidding. Last time I used my card to pay for something over 300 pound on a new website, it took 3 cashiers about 40 minutes to figure it all out for me. Literally tyhe sheer number of codes, passwords, software downloads was unbelievable. Even a korean had problems with it. And that was only after I managed to find an english-speaking cashier (after wasting days queing at "global"  branches and not finding anyone).

Thought this could be risky though as if they block my card for Ďunusual activityí god knows how Iíd go about getting it unblocked.

You could easily call the credit card services number. To be fair, Hana has some very helpful and fluent English-speakers at the customer services center that have always been able to help me.

Catch my drift?

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »
Any fellow Britís that can tell me the easiest way to transfer money from my Korean bank to my U.K. bank? I donít think transferwise works for sending money from Korea -> U.K. anymore does it?

The whole online banking/payment situation out here is stressing me out with the amount of steps you seem to have to go through to do anything.

Iím with Hana bank here and NatWest in the U.K. and Iím just looking to send a couple of hundred £ to my U.K. account.

Thanks for the help!

Fellow Brit here.  You need to get the "Easy One Remittance Account" with you bank.  They'll connect your UK account with that one so when you need to send money home all you do is transfer money from your regular Hana account to the remittance account.  It will be transferred automatically to your UK account.  It's very quick too; usually appears after 24 hours.

When you go to the bank to set it up you'll need ALL the information about your UK account; IBAN and BIC codes, branch address, etc.  Setting it up was fairly quick if you have all of the info to hand.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 07:26:20 AM »

Fellow Brit here.  You need to get the "Easy One Remittance Account" with you bank.

Get this

It's easy to use once set up, you just make a transfer from whatever your main account is to your easy one account.

They will send you a text message a couple of hours (maybe a day or two depending on when you transfer i.e. a saturday) with the amount in pounds.

I got £1380 on 2million KRW last week, so the exchange rates aren't too bad, no worse than it would be changing the cash.

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:24:49 AM »
Another problem I have is I donít actually have time to go to the bank. Iím literally at work from when the bank opens to when it closes and of course they close all weekend  >:(

Depending on where you live,
KB has a few branches open until 7:30PM on weekdays.
KEB-Hana has a few open on weekends. This was before the merger, not sure if they still offer weekend services.
Woori also has a few open on weekends.

Personally, I found KB's weekday after hours services to have the best service.

I don't use any of those three banks for remittance; I just recall of the ones I've used before, those three have service outside regular work hours.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/keb-hana-bank-for-expats/keb-hana-sunday-banking-branches/1458771150864547/

I went to the Daegu one on a Sunday to set up the account.  I don't know if it's all the time or all branches but the wait was long for me, go early.  The actual setting up only took 5 minutes.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »

Fellow Brit here.  You need to get the "Easy One Remittance Account" with you bank.

Get this

It's easy to use once set up, you just make a transfer from whatever your main account is to your easy one account.

They will send you a text message a couple of hours (maybe a day or two depending on when you transfer i.e. a saturday) with the amount in pounds.

I got £1380 on 2million KRW last week, so the exchange rates aren't too bad, no worse than it would be changing the cash.

Even easier when doing it through the KEBHana Banking App. No need to piss your time waiting on shitty computer security programs loading up.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
If you are transferring a small amount of money use paypal. Set up a Korean paypal and add your debit card. Send money to your UK oaypal as a payment for goods. Probably cost you about 10% in fees but if you're desperate will be worth it.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline belo horizonte

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
What I did is ask them to make my card for international use. So that way I can just withdraw cash when I get to the UK.

Good luck with that, it might or might not work internationally. I would guess that if it's your normal KEB Hana card then it probably won't work. I asked them last summer for the same thing and they gave me a new card, it's has "VIVA G CHECK" written on it, with a mastercard logo. It worked ok when I was in SE Asia.

Online APH

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
Think Iíll probably just go for the PayPal option for now, booked a pretty last minute trip home for new year so just need to transfer a couple of hundred quid. Iíll look into better options when I get back.

10% charge seems a bit steep though? If I just send the money to my English PayPal like I would if I was paying a friend?

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
If itís that little why not just exchange then bring cash by plane? I believe airport exchanges are around 3%, Myeongdong and Seoul Station are around 1%. Those rates are for the big 3 though. Never seen or inquired about GBP.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
There are some very kind Christian folks in Nigeria who I'm sure would be more than willing to lend you a hand.