March 25, 2019, 02:22:40 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Looking for any tips to help find housing in Anyang  (Read 1098 times)

Offline tommybgoode

• Waygookin
Looking for any tips to help find housing in Anyang
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
I've been through a few apps and had a look at some places but I don't really know the city. My new job is close to Anyang station.

Where's a good convenient place to live? I'd like to be near a big supermarket if possible. Any tips or recommendations on finding a place?

Budget is 600k/month, not sure about the deposit yet. If you know a good budongsan or english speaking place, that'd be ace.

Edit: I need to find somewhere starting end of feb/march start. I know I might be looking a little early..

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
Re: Looking for any tips to help find housing in Anyang
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:51:50 PM »
I've lived in Anyang or Gunpo next door for a total of 10 plus years.  I lived a five minute walk from Anyang station for a few months but found it fairly seedy.  It's changing now with a lot of new housing going in with the new GTX fast train being built for speedy trips into Seoul.  If you want to be able to walk to work, Anyang station does have the advantage of the busy Anyang first street area, the Anyang River behind the station if you cycle, it's a short bus ride to Costco and Ikea, there are some passenger trains that go to and from Seoul Stn./Yongsan and down country everyday, and you have the curbside Anyang Bus terminal.   If you're up for a short bus or subway ride to work you'll find better options in my opinion. Sorry, don't know a budongsan in that neck of the woods. 

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:32:03 PM »
There will be no GTX at Anyang station.

Right around the station is good for shopping, entertainment and eating/ drinking but not that ideal for living. There is a Lotte Dep. Store right next to the station with a grocery section. Department stores stock a lot of foreign products. At the 2001 outlet there is Kim's Club which is a good alternative instead of homeplus or emart.
I don't know if you want to live in an officetel or a villa kind of building. There ia this officetel:경기 안양시 만안구 안양로 303  It's within your budget. 5mil and 550 gets you a 34m2 room. 5m and 600k for a 44m2 and 10m with 600k for a 47m2. These are actual listings there right now. Kind of behind this building, away from the main road, there is BYC officetel. Two huge, newish buildings. I don't see any prices there though.

If you want to live in a villa, there is a park right across from the BYC buildings. I would look for a place somewhere around there.
Btw. Jungang market is also in this very neighborhood so your grocery needs are kind of covered.

*edit: the BYC officetel looks brand new. When you search in naver for that name, plenty of real estate websites pop up with listings. But nothing shows up on naver or daum real estate. They must use their own agents ir selected agencies only.
Prices look similar to the other one. A smaller one is 10m and 500k or a bigger one with an extra half room is 10m and 650k monthly.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:48:46 PM by Lazio »

Offline tommybgoode

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »

Right around the station is good for shopping, entertainment and eating/ drinking but not that ideal for living. There is a Lotte Dep. Store right next to the station with a grocery section. Department stores stock a lot of foreign products. At the 2001 outlet there is Kim's Club which is a good alternative instead of homeplus or emart.
I don't know if you want to live in an officetel or a villa kind of building. There ia this officetel:경기 안양시 만안구 안양로 303  It's within your budget. 5mil and 550 gets you a 34m2 room. 5m and 600k for a 44m2 and 10m with 600k for a 47m2. These are actual listings there right now. Kind of behind this building, away from the main road, there is BYC officetel. Two huge, newish buildings. I don't see any prices there though.

If you want to live in a villa, there is a park right across from the BYC buildings. I would look for a place somewhere around there.
Btw. Jungang market is also in this very neighborhood so your grocery needs are kind of covered.

*edit: the BYC officetel looks brand new. When you search in naver for that name, plenty of real estate websites pop up with listings. But nothing shows up on naver or daum real estate. They must use their own agents ir selected agencies only.
Prices look similar to the other one. A smaller one is 10m and 500k or a bigger one with an extra half room is 10m and 650k monthly.

This is perfect, I didn't think I'd get advice this good! 47m2 officetel? Sounds pretty big for an officetel. Do you know how I can find these listings or who I can contact about them? I may be a little early to start viewings, but it'd be nice to get it out the way.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »

No, there won't be a GTX there if someone told you that, but it will be close, so there has been huge development going on from Geumjeong in the Anyang area up to and including the Anyang station area. The BYC building looks nice but just not the nicest area for living in my opinion.  Lots of drunk ajeoshhis like to make the park and the stream path their drinking/passing out location.  It's an interesting area, but my three months of living there was enough to convince me to move a few stops away.  The Kims Club is small and the foreign goods selection at the Lotte is unimpressive.  The red light district somehow clings on.  Can't imagine it'll last.   

* Edited to fix mildly confusing formatting issue.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:42:11 AM by kyndo »

Offline tommybgoode

• Waygookin
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »

No, there won't be a GTX there if someone told you that, but it will be close, so there has been huge development going on from Geumjeong in the Anyang area up to and including the Anyang station area. The BYC building looks nice but just not the nicest area for living in my opinion.  Lots of drunk ajeoshhis like to make the park and the stream path their drinking/passing out location.  It's an interesting area, but my three months of living there was enough to convince me to move a few stops away.  The Kims Club is small and the foreign goods selection at the Lotte is unimpressive.  The red light district somehow clings on.  Can't imagine it'll last.

What's a better area? I don't mind being a little further away, I'm thinking of getting a bicycle.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:41:17 AM by kyndo »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »

What's a better area? I don't mind being a little further away, I'm thinking of getting a bicycle.

The area around Pyeongchon station has more officetels as well as a big emart. There are a lot of restaurants/bbq joints but also "singing clubs" and motels.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 02:39:08 PM »
Yeah, the Pyeongcheon Beomgye corridor would be a pretty convenient place.  Lotte department store mall, E-mart, Kims Club Homeplus and right on the subway.  You could get on the Baegun Cheon or whatever that offshoot of The Anyang Cheon is called and have an easy ride to Anyang Station area.  Sanbon is about 6kms away and has plenty offictels and all the conveniences of suburban Korea.  Short subway and bike rides away.  Sanbon is probably cheaper for housing than Pyeongcheon. 

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »

What you wrote in your earlier post ( Anyang stn .... GTX is coming...) it sounded like you think there will be GTX there.
I'm curious about those huge developments you mentioned. Which ones are those? Megatria went up recently but that had nothing to do with the GTX. It had been planned for 10+ years. Other than that there is the new Hillstate going up right next to Geumjeong. That is indeed directly related to the planned GTX but I wouldn't call it a huge scale development. Don't know about any other projects let alone ''huge'' ones. Especially in Anyang.
진흥 apartments, behind Anyang stn. will be redeveloped sooner or later but that has little to do with the GTX. Redevelopment has been up on the air there for years because the location is good and mainly because it's too old as it is.
Ah, and there is that 헤샌 going up but it aint huge either with its' 400 something units. An officetel here and there but nothing large scale.

For Op's question: Pyeongchon although nice but it's more expensive. It's also a 25min. or so bus ride away. You might need to take two buses which is not very convenient.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:39:40 PM by Lazio »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »

What you wrote in your earlier post ( Anyang stn .... GTX is coming...) it sounded like you think there will be GTX there.
I'm curious about those huge developments you mentioned. Which ones are those? Megatria went up recently but that had nothing to do with the GTX. It had been planned for 10+ years. Other than that there is the new Hillstate going up right next to Geumjeong. That is indeed directly related to the planned GTX but I wouldn't call it a huge scale development. Don't know about any other projects let alone ''huge'' ones.
진흥 apartments, behind Anyang stn. will be redeveloped sooner or later but that has little to do with the GTX. Redevelopment has been up on the air there for years because the location is good and mainly because it's too old as it is.
Ah, and there is that 헤샌 going up but it aint huge either with its' 400 something units. An officetel here and there but nothing large scale.

For Op's question: Pyeongchon although nice but it's more expensive. It's also a 25min. or so bus ride away. You might need to take two buses which is not very convenient.

1 bus away but yes, around 25mins. If OP is getting a bike then it would be much faster.

I don't think it would be anymore expensive for Officetels than any other main area in Anyang.

Anyang station area is a bit of a dump, IMHO.

As OnNut81 said the Pyeongcheon Beomgye corridor is much better for living and has better transport links to Seoul.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »

1 bus away but yes, around 25mins. If OP is getting a bike then it would be much faster.

I don't think it would be anymore expensive for Officetels than any other main area in Anyang.

Anyang station area is a bit of a dump, IMHO.

As OnNut81 said the Pyeongcheon Beomgye corridor is much better for living and has better transport links to Seoul.

We don't know exactly where OP's workplace is so it might take 2 buses to get there. I agree that the Pyeongchon area is better but the Anyang stn. area is convenient as well. Certainly more so than many other areas in Anyang. If you stay away from the pub/restaurant area than it's not bad at all. In the end it's up to OP and who knows what he/she prefers. For me, the convenience of living within walking distance to work would tip the scale for Anyang stn.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
Lazio: m curious about those huge developments you mentioned. Which ones are those? Megatria went up recently but that had nothing to do with the GTX. It had been planned for 10+ years. Other than that there is the new Hillstate going up right next to Geumjeong. That is indeed directly related to the planned GTX but I wouldn't call it a huge scale development. Don't know about any other projects let alone ''huge'' ones. Especially in Anyang.

The Hillstate is a small one right next to Geumjeong station built on the lot of an old driving school.  Do you know the area well beyond the station areas you seem focused on? Not being sarcastic.  I'm talking about the areas as a whole.  When you say Anyang, you seem to think Anyang station, I'm referring to Anyang the city.  About a km from Geumjeong station behind the industrial distribution complex and Hoegye Homeplus a "huge" development called Urvine is going up.  They razed an entire community to put this in.  It may not be on the scale of some development going in out in the sticks, but for a development in an existing urban area, it's on a grand scale.  You can also see other older areas being taken down.  The GTX-C is changing the face of the area in no uncertain terms. 

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
Lazio: m curious about those huge developments you mentioned. Which ones are those? Megatria went up recently but that had nothing to do with the GTX. It had been planned for 10+ years. Other than that there is the new Hillstate going up right next to Geumjeong. That is indeed directly related to the planned GTX but I wouldn't call it a huge scale development. Don't know about any other projects let alone ''huge'' ones. Especially in Anyang.

The Hillstate is a small one right next to Geumjeong station built on the lot of an old driving school.  Do you know the area well beyond the station areas you seem focused on? Not being sarcastic.  I'm talking about the areas as a whole.  When you say Anyang, you seem to think Anyang station, I'm referring to Anyang the city.  About a km from Geumjeong station behind the industrial distribution complex and Hoegye Homeplus a "huge" development called Urvine is going up.  They razed an entire community to put this in.  It may not be on the scale of some development going in out in the sticks, but for a development in an existing urban area, it's on a grand scale.  You can also see other older areas being taken down.  The GTX-C is changing the face of the area in no uncertain terms.

They recently razed a big area opposite the Anyang Emart. Lots of smaller villas and small industry gone but a chuch still remains on those grounds. Haven't seen what's being built but more than likely new apartments.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »
What a coincidence.  One of the only buildings spared when they took down the neighbourhood behind the Hogye Homeplus was a church.  Must be divine intervention. 

Offline tommybgoode

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
Thanks guys this is all good information. I'll have a read and do some research... walking to work would be awesome... but then so would walking to a big supermarket. My new job is on the main road about a ten minute walk south of Anyang station.

How do I find those listings mentioned by OnNut81? Or others? Trawling through dabang isn't yielding much...

You guys are awesome.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »

You wrote huge developments up and down from Geumjeong and including the Anyang station area.

I think you give too much credit to the GTX. These redevelopments happen all the time, simply because the neighborhood gets too old so it is time to bulldoze it down and make new apartments. A redevelopment project (called 재개발) takes a very long time to plan and execute. Like 10 years long. Especially when it's not an old apartment complex but a villa/house area. What you see constructions now, those were planned long before any GTX plans were born, let alone having actual details where exactly the lines would go and where the stops would be. These constructions have nothing to do with the GTX, save the Hillstate.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
No, the Urvine one is at the same stage of construction as the Hillstate.  There have been banners hanging around for ages bringing up the incoming GTX.  If you are familiar with area you can clearly see the GTX-C is having a big affect on development in the area.  It would actually be na´ve and unreasonable to think it wouldn't, or isn't. 

Lots of new buildings going up in the ANyang station area as well.  Perhaps you haven't been by in a while.  They've squeezed a whole new development by the tracks, as well as the transformation taking place in the dumpy area acros from Lotte Department Store. 

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
No, the Urvine one is at the same stage of construction as the Hillstate.  There have been banners hanging around for ages bringing up the incoming GTX.  If you are familiar with area you can clearly see the GTX-C is having a big affect on development in the area.  It would actually be na´ve and unreasonable to think it wouldn't, or isn't. 

Lots of new buildings going up in the ANyang station area as well.  Perhaps you haven't been by in a while.  They've squeezed a whole new development by the tracks, as well as the transformation taking place in the dumpy area acros from Lotte Department Store.

No, you are wrong. They maybe at the same stage but the big difference is that the Hillstate property has been practically empty for ages and most likely with one owner. I'm telling you, a redevelopment project is a very long process.
The Urvine project actually started back in 2006: https://blog.naver.com/nalgajoo/220874314473

It's one thing they put the GTX on their flyers and banners but that is not the reason the whole project started. It just surfaced in the meantime so they were like "sure, let's use this as well as a selling point" The same way with the Indeogwon-Dongtan line. It had been planned for 10+ years but was only confirmed this year March. So that's another thing they can put on their advertisements. But it wasn't the reason to start the whole thing.

Again, I think you give way too much credit for the GTX. It will surely spark developments right around where it stops but I don't think many would back track from Anyang stn. and other areas not exactly close. Given the fact that it only stops at a few places in Seoul as well, one would need to use another bus or subway in Seoul to get to their destination and if they don't live within walking distance to say' Geumjeong statation, it would be a 3 leg trip. So although the GTX ride will be fast but the whole commute would still be an hour or more door to door. Also, is there an official statement about the future fare? If it will be 2,500 or 3,000 to get to Seoul than it wouldn't be so attractive for a daily commute.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
Lazio, you hadn't even heard of the Urvine project until I mentioned it.  You were curious about what huge development I was referring to in the area as you couldn't think of one.  The Urvine estate is less than 2km from Geumjeong station. You keep coming back to the Hillstate as the only building development being put in place because of the GTX-C, yet every other project that has been part of the recent boom in the area has been in development for ages and has nothing to do with the train?  That's a reasonable assumption.   

The Hillstate is being built on what was until relatively recently a driving school.  It has not been an empty lot for ages.  It got cleared out because of Hillstate.  Obviously, a redevelopment is a long process, that's not a revelation.  These GTX lines were discussed back in the 2000s.  Developers can speculate and thus begin the process.  As things have become more certain, development has begun.  The development has definitely been fuelled by the GTX-C. 

You think 2500-3000 won to Gangnam would put it out of many people's reach?  I think that's pretty reasonable.  I happily take the Nuriro or Mugungwha from Anyang station for 2600 won and consider myself lucky to have that option at certain points of the day for a fast trip in to the city. 

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Lazio, you hadn't even heard of the Urvine project until I mentioned it.  You were curious about what huge development I was referring to in the area as you couldn't think of one.

LOL. What makes you think that? Because I didn't consider a project that dates back 10+ years to be triggered by the recently announced GTX?

I drive past that construction at least once a week. I also own a property not far from there so I keep an eye on what's going on around there. You probably have no idea about many of the things that will go down.

Developers can speculate and thus begin the process.  As things have become more certain, development has begun.  The development has definitely been fuelled by the GTX-C

Yeah, someone 15 years ago mentioned something about a fast train system and developers were immediately like ''we don't know when, we don't know how, we don't even know if it actually going to happen but let's build here a 4000+ unit apartment complex!'' That is how you think these things work? I gave you the link. That area was designated for redevelopment 12 years ago by the city.

My point is: these redevelopments happen all the time, everywhere and not necessarily because of a new train or subway line being built there in the future. But because the buildings get old. In some areas they rebuild the old houses one by one and slowly the neighborhood transforms into a more modern one. In other cases they wipe down a larger area at once and rebuild. It's not the developers that start this whole process but the cities designate certain blocks for redevelopment. 

Would you consider the Gunpo Raemian complex that went up around 2010 to be related to GTX? I guess not. Yet it still happened and so it does all over the place.
But if you also believe that raemian had anything to do with gtx than tell me how far by distance and how far back in time do you think the new train connection has an effect on the constructions? So far we are at 12 years and 2kms or a couple of subway stations away. But maybe you believe it extends further.
Also, on the other side of the road from the Urvine project there is the Pyeongchon The Sharp. It will open in a few months. Following your thinking, that must had been triggered by the gtx too.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:56:22 PM by Lazio »