March 23, 2019, 01:05:41 AM

Author Topic: Left Alone for Winter Camp  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
Re: Left Alone for Winter Camp
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
I have taught some English winter/summer camps a long time ago where I had to teach the students all by myself and didn't have a Korean co-teacher with me. It wasn't ideal (especially the younger the students are, e.g., 1st grade and 2nd grade elementary school students) and definitely had some tough moments, but I managed.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »
Depends. When I done camp for elementary. co-T's needed to be present. Especially for the grade 3/4s who were on their 1st / 2nd years of English. Co-T's came for 5/6 as well, but weren't needed as much.
In middle school, there needs to be a Korean teacher in the building, but they don't have to be in the class with you.
(at least, in my area that seems to be the case)

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »
Unfortunately I think the best option is to say nothing and just try to get through it as painlessly as possible.  Show A LOT of movies.

It's a bit of a sneaky move by your CT though.  Is there any particular reason she needs to take her vacation time during the camp?  Does she just want to get out of doing it?  Maybe doing the camp is just optional extra work for her and rather than do it for overtime pay she'd rather have the vacation.

This might be a situation where it's hard for us (NETs) to say anything because none of us really know the contracts of our coworkers and what their expected duties are.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »
Your co-t is clearly looking out for number 1, but as has been said, they usually drift out off to go hang with the other staff anyways. I'm usually alone, but I prefer it that way.  I look at it is a time to just kind of relax in a setting that is different from the book related stuff and just kind of wing it.  You can just make up some games or activities, indoor capture the flag with different floors being different zones is fun, yet the co-teachers always worry that kids will get hurt and don't want to do it. 

Your camps are pretty big, but even with 20 kids I like when it's just me. 

Offline dukie

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 10:00:06 PM »
I just love how we're not allowed to be alone in class with the kids during regular school days, but when summer and winter vacation comes around, our co-teachers are nowhere to be seen.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
I just love how we're not allowed to be alone in class with the kids during regular school days, but when summer and winter vacation comes around, our co-teachers are nowhere to be seen.

What do you mean "not allowed?"  I teach alone quite often.  There are times (end of month) where my CoT's are stupid ass busy trying to get stuff done (reports, festivals, parent meetings etc etc) and I can tell they don't want to be in my class.  I tell them go back to their rooms and get work done, I can handle the class with out them.  They're more than happy to dump the kids off for a good 40 minutes.   :wink:

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 07:49:18 AM »
I've been here since 2008, so around 40 weeks of camp, and I have had a co-teacher for exactly two weeks in all that time.

It's pretty standard.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »

What do you mean "not allowed?"  I teach alone quite often.  There are times (end of month) where my CoT's are stupid ass busy trying to get stuff done (reports, festivals, parent meetings etc etc) and I can tell they don't want to be in my class.  I tell them go back to their rooms and get work done, I can handle the class with out them.  They're more than happy to dump the kids off for a good 40 minutes.   :wink:

Meaning you're not allowed to be alone teaching a class.  A Korean teacher is supposed to be in the class with you, whether they help or stare at their phones.  It's a rule that's broken up and down the line, but it is a rule.  You're not supposed to be alone in the class. 

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »
Meaning you're not allowed to be alone teaching a class.  A Korean teacher is supposed to be in the class with you, whether they help or stare at their phones.  It's a rule that's broken up and down the line, but it is a rule.  You're not supposed to be alone in the class.
Yep. During regular curriculum classes, we're not supposed to teach without a licenced Korean teacher in the room with us (as according to our contracts we're teaching assistants, not actual teachers). After school classes, camps, and other extracurricular classes, we can be left to ourselves so long as there's a Korean teacher somewhere in the school.

Of course, for the last few years, I can count the number of times I've taught with a co-teacher actually in the room with me on my fingers...  :rolleyes:

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 09:00:32 AM »
I've still never heard it said or seen it written anywhere that there must be a Korean teacher in the classroom.   As far as I know we just assume it  :lipsrsealed:

Has anyone ever heard it from the horse's mouth?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »
I've still never heard it said or seen it written anywhere that there must be a Korean teacher in the classroom.   As far as I know we just assume it  :lipsrsealed:

Has anyone ever heard it from the horse's mouth?

Article 3, Clause 1(Duties) in the EPIK contract strongly implies it:
     "The Employee shall perform the following duties...
       Assist Korean teachers with their English class(es) and/or jointly conduct English class(es) with Korean teachers, and/or lead extracurricular activities or English camps."
(emphasis mine)

I interpret the fact that the contract specifically says that we can lead extracurricular activities as meaning that we cannot do so with regular classes, especially seeing as it states that we are meant to only assist (jointly).

This point is further emphasized in Article 4 (supervision): "The Employee sall carry out the duties set forth in the foregoing Article 3 pursuant to and under specific instruction and supervision of the Supervisor of the Work Place designated by Employer."

Also, my coworker of a couple years ago --while definitely not a horse -- told me that I'm not supposed to teach regular classes alone (she had it in for one of the older dudes in the English department, and was pretty pissed at how much work the fellow was shirking :laugh:)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:26:25 AM by kyndo »

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
Yeah that's exactly how I'd interpret the wording in the contract too  ;D

It's a shame so many teachers are left alone.  And I totally understand that our coworkers are busier than us but if they use our classes as their own free time then they're getting loads of that extra free time aren't they?  I mean, if they don't come to the native teachers' classes then how many of their own classes are they teaching a week?  Less than ten or something?

Offline Renma

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I mean, if they don't come to the native teachers' classes then how many of their own classes are they teaching a week?  Less than ten or something?

Varies from school to school. At my elem schools my coteachers are scheduled for 18 classes. As I lead 6 of those while they either don't attend or play on their phone at the back, they are responsible for 12 of their own classes.

At my rural middle, the English teacher there was scheduled for 11 classes, of which I led 3.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
http://www.epik.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=55&menuNo=284

"Korean Co-Teacher
There will be a Korean co-teacher in each school that supervises the EPIK teacher. The licensed Korean English teacher or a teacher who speaks English fluently plays the role as the Korean co-teacher. "

Lol at the above quote!  :laugh:

I have branch schools where there's not a single person able to communicate effectively in English. Or *at all* in one of them. Heck, I often use my students to help translate at that one school -- and these kids are so rural that the only exposure they get to English is through... well... me (poor souls). On the other hand, it's really satisfying when the kids can translate, knowing that I can take most of the credit for their English.  :smiley:

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
Yeah that's exactly how I'd interpret the wording in the contract too  ;D

It's a shame so many teachers are left alone.  And I totally understand that our coworkers are busier than us but if they use our classes as their own free time then they're getting loads of that extra free time aren't they?  I mean, if they don't come to the native teachers' classes then how many of their own classes are they teaching a week?  Less than ten or something?

at all of the schools i've worked at, teachers spend at least a few hours a day sitting around and chatting, drinking coffee. i'd like to see them teach in the uk for a month or so, to see them actually do some real work