January 22, 2019, 08:21:58 PM

Author Topic: Left Alone for Winter Camp  (Read 1516 times)

Offline KarineESL

• Explorer
Left Alone for Winter Camp
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »
Has this ever happened to you?

This morning my co-teacher informed me that she has been pressuring the Principal to let her take vacation time during our Winter Camp. She said it was because she believes in me and that "I'll be fine alone".....with 41 students who can barely communicate with me   :huh: ...... I'm making efforts to learn the language but I'm nowhere close to being able to deal with big and little student problems in their native language.

Is this something she's likely to be granted? Is there really a chance that I will be left alone for 2 weeks with my students? If it's unlikely that she'll get the vacation time then I won't speak up about it. But, if she's likely to leave me hanging I might need to voice my concerns.

Has anyone ever been left alone for a camp?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:15:57 AM by KarineESL »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: Left Alone for Winter Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »
Holy hell, that's so below board.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:32:40 AM »
Has this ever happened to you?

This morning my co-teacher informed me that she has been pressuring the Principal to let her take vacation time during our Winter Camp. She said it was because she believes in me and that "I'll be fine alone".....with 41 students who can barely communicate with me   :huh: ...... I'm making efforts to learn the language but I'm nowhere close to being able to deal with big and little student problems in their native language.

Is this something she's likely to be granted? Is there really a chance that I will be left alone for 2 weeks with my students? If it's unlikely that she'll get the vacation time then I won't speak up about it. But, if she's likely to leave me hanging I might need to voice my concerns.

Has anyone ever been left alone for a camp?

Depends on you regions policy. Some programs allow for NETs to be alone, other mandate that a KET/KT must be in the room too. Maybe ask your regional coordinator??

Also your co-teacher sucks.

Online Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
I am pretty sure she is obligated to at least be in the school while you are teaching camp - if there are any serious issues with the students you need a Korean teacher to be able to handle it. As for the teaching itself though, I think it's pretty common for the NET to be left to it RE: actually running and teaching the camp lessons by themselves, while the co-t relaxes in the 교무실.

So I think she is expected to be in the school, but don't expect her to actually be of any assistance (just be pleasantly surprised if she is) unless something serious occurs.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline Ceejay

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
It's fairly common for NETs to teach camps alone. Every camp that I've taught, I have prepared for and taught alone. If your principal and vice principal have concerns about you teaching camp alone, it's possible that they may ask your co-teacher to drop by your class for the first day or so, or even co-teach with you. However, it's also possible that they'll approve her vacation dates. There is definitely a chance that you'll be teaching your two week camp alone.

Camp teaching situations really vary by school. In my city, it seems like the MOE leaves it up to the school as to how and what their NET will be teaching during vacation periods. In my experience, I've always taught camps alone, but other teachers I've spoken to have always co-taught their camps. It really depends on your school and region.

Like thunderlips said above, it would be a good idea to ask your MOE coordinator about it.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:37:15 AM by Ceejay »

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »
I teach alone at my main school at the time and I have managed the camps by myself as well.  However, I have a pretty good command of the language so I can handle my kids.  However, I would still ask your co-teacher if there is an after school teacher (day care teacher, 돌보선생님)  to just help sit in on the class.  At my first public school I had to teach a large group of kids too and my co-teacher at the time had her vacation time.  So one of the afterschool teachers who spoke no English just sat in the back as a monitor and I would call on her to straighten up a bad acting kids. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:54:05 AM by Piggydee »

Online tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
i had to teach all my camps alone.  pop in some adventure time, make worksheet for adventure and have a cooking part everyday.  grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, something easy.  school should have a budget for camp so make them pay for it.

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
I teach alone at my main school at the time and I have managed the camps by myself as well.  However, I have a pretty good command of the language so I can handle my kids.  However, I would still ask your co-teacher if there is an after school teacher (day care teacher, 돌보선생님)  to just help sit in on the class.  At my first public school I had to teach a large group of kids too and my co-teacher at the time had her vacation time.  So one of the afterschool teachers who spoke no English just sat in the back as a monitor and I would call on her to straighten up a bad acting kids.

I think this is the best advice. There is always some Korean classroom teachers at your school during the break.
Bring Crispy Cream donuts on the first day.  Then they will really help you out. They will usually rotate so you will have a different Korean teacher each day. In fact I actually prefer working with the regular homeroom teachers.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
It's fairly common for NETs to teach camps alone.

Which is strange because the K-teachers are making fat stacks of overtime money for teaching the camp. Seems dishonest to not show up.

Offline DaStrongOne

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
I've always taught them with a CoT. I figured every province required someone in the classroom with us.

Anyways if I had 41 ES students in a class... for 3 hours straight... for a week, I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. If it's approved, I'd try to get other teachers to rotate monitoring your camp. Bring some sweets and coffee/tea to butter them up.

That would probably be the best outcome anyways. If she's denied, she probably won't put much effort into it.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »
41 students? how much budget do you get?

sounds like someone wanted as many students to sign up as possible so that they could pocket the money themselves, without caring if it screws you over

Offline KarineESL

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
41 students? how much budget do you get?

sounds like someone wanted as many students to sign up as possible so that they could pocket the money themselves, without caring if it screws you over

:shocked: Korean teachers get paid extra depending on how many students sign up for camps?
I had no idea!

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
yeah, i think so. but i meant the fee students pay to join. don't know how much it is, but i doubt it's completely free

even if it's just 10,000won each for the 2 weeks, that's 410,000won

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
yeah, i think so. but i meant the fee students pay to join. don't know how much it is, but i doubt it's completely free

even if it's just 10,000won each for the 2 weeks, that's 410,000won

That is the case sometimes. Other times it is free and budgeted by the Office of Education. Sometimes it is free, but some Korean contract teachers have to still do it, as they are on a contract like hours, whereby they may not be over the stated number of hours in their contract.

I did, twice, have a co-t(same person) that helped me each day in camp, and then paid me half at the end. That is what should be done. *Should* meaning I wish to see done.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
The education office gives the school a budget for the camp. A million won a week. Half that goes to paying the Korean teacher in charge. 25,000 won per class hour, so in a 20 hour week, 500,000 won; in a 22 hour week 550,000 won. Korean teachers ALWAYS get paid to do the camp ... you just haven't seen the paperwork.  Camps are usually (always?) free for students to attend; taxpayers foot the bill.

Offline u12monkeys

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »
I always teach my English camps alone. That's how I like it.
마크

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »
How many kids in your class during camp, roughly speaking?

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »

Offline KarineESL

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »
How many kids in your class during camp, roughly speaking?

I have 21 grade 4 / 5 kids and 20 grade 4 / 5 / 6 kids. My lessons will be 90 minutes long.