March 25, 2019, 01:56:08 AM

Author Topic: Need suggestions for cat babysitting, boarding while I'm on vacation  (Read 855 times)

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
I'm going out of town for a few days and need to find care for my cat.

I'm not even sure what is available out there, so all suggestions would be helpful. The last time I went on a short trip my neighbor nicely offered to take care of my little guy. All went well, very well, but then, while visiting, my neighbor starting sneezing, and I asked him if he was allergic to cats. He is! But he didn't tell me! So, though he seems to like my kitty, I feel like I shouldn't ask him for this favor.

My trip will be 3 nights and 4 days.

Thanks!

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Need suggestions for cat babysitting, boarding while I'm on vacation
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
Where are you located?

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
Oops! That would be helpful.....

I'm in Seoul, Eunpyeong-gu.

:)

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:49:51 AM »
Oops! That would be helpful.....

I'm in Seoul, Eunpyeong-gu.

Specific dates would be helpful, too :)

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
I'm really looking for what my options are in general. Like, is there a kennel, someone's business is catsitting, etc.

I did read that vets will keep your cats if it's just a few days. So I may ask my vet.

I'll be out Jan 2~5.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
I did read that vets will keep your cats if it's just a few days. So I may ask my vet.

The husband of one of my Korean friends is a vet and owns his own vet clinic. My friend has told me before that her husband's vet clinic also offers pet hotel services (i.e., pet owners can leave their dogs/cats there temporarily while the pet owners go on vacation); his clinic will provide shelter and food for the pets during their stay.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:53:54 AM by Mezoti97 »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
I'm really looking for what my options are in general. Like, is there a kennel, someone's business is catsitting, etc.

I'll be out Jan 2~5.

My wife and I looked at keeping our cats in a vet or kennel place when we went on vacation but last time we just left them at home to their own devices with enough food and water [leaving a tap running] and two litter boxes out. We also had a Petcam to check in on our cats.

The bigger vets have a place to keep your cats during a vacation period. Not sure, if they are allowed out to stretch their legs.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
Sweet! Just the info I wanted.

I also thought about leaving him with an extra litter box etc., but he's by himself and I'm a little concerned about leaving him by himself as he might do some damage if he gets too bored. :(

I'll check my local vet.

Thanks!

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »
3 nights and 4 days is a long time for a pet to be alone without any type of companion. I left my cat overnight one time and when I came back he was so stressed out that he cried for hours after we returned home. I'd check into hotels or boarding services just to be safe. You can find them in most areas.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »
3 nights and 4 days is a long time for a pet to be alone without any type of companion. I left my cat overnight one time and when I came back he was so stressed out that he cried for hours after we returned home. I'd check into hotels or boarding services just to be safe. You can find them in most areas.

I know! Huh! It would drive him crazy to be by himself! 

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »

I know! Huh! It would drive him crazy to be by himself!

When we had the one cat and went on vacation, I had a friend come by every two days to check in on the cat. We left some toys out but made the environment safe. She missed us but otherwise was fine.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
I remember reading an article recently where an actor went out of the country and left his cats alone in his home, unattended. One of the cats somehow accidentally managed to turn on the kitchen sink faucet, so by the time the actor came back home, he found his home super-flooded and the flood damage was quite extensive (not to mention very expensive). Perhaps that's an extreme scenario and very unlucky, but...yeah. There's always some risk that could happen, unfortunately.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
I remember reading an article recently where an actor went out of the country and left his cats alone in his home, unattended. One of the cats somehow accidentally managed to turn on the kitchen sink faucet, so by the time the actor came back home, he found his home super-flooded and the flood damage was quite extensive (not to mention very expensive). Perhaps that's an extreme scenario and very unlucky, but...yeah. There's always some risk that could happen, unfortunately.

I remember this.

https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article221898170.html

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 08:19:25 PM »

I remember this.

https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article221898170.html
there was one recently, in korea, where the cat managed to turn on the hot plate in the kitchen, and something caught fire and burnt down the entire place. this makes me really paranoid and i always make sure to put a pot or something over the buttons when i'm out

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »
The bigger vets have a place to keep your cats during a vacation period. Not sure, if they are allowed out to stretch their legs.

I can't speak for all vet clinics, but at my friend's husband's vet clinic, I remember she told me before that he and his staff don't keep the pets who are temporarily boarding there confined in crates the whole time and that they do let the pets "stretch their legs" by letting them "run around" within a certain confined area inside the vet clinic, but I don't think they actually take/allow the pets to go outside the clinic for walks or anything like that.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »

I can't speak for all vet clinics, but at my friend's husband's vet clinic, I remember she told me before that he and his staff don't keep the pets who are temporarily boarding there confined in crates the whole time and that they do let the pets "stretch their legs" by letting them "run around" within a certain confined area inside the vet clinic, but I don't think they actually take/allow the pets to go outside the clinic for walks or anything like that.

I have seen a "play area" at one vet clinic but in others I have just seen a glass "cage". It seemed big enough for a cat to be content for a few days but don't think I would leave my cats there for a week or more.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
I have seen a "play area" at one vet clinic but in others I have just seen a glass "cage". It seemed big enough for a cat to be content for a few days but don't think I would leave my cats there for a week or more.

Okay. I'm just sharing what pet boarding is like at my friend's husband's vet clinic, that's all. I don't know what is the situation at other vet clinics.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
My vet clinic has an area where the cats can roam. And, I've seen a few others in my neighborhood as well. I'm sure it's different in different clinics as well as different parts of the city, country....

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
My vet clinic has an area where the cats can roam. And, I've seen a few others in my neighborhood as well. I'm sure it's different in different clinics as well as different parts of the city, country....

I would check to make sure the cats roaming are of the healthy kind and not lumping in the sick cats as well.