January 21, 2019, 10:08:08 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Are Koreans the biggest alcoholics in the world??  (Read 1626 times)

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
Re: Are Koreans the biggest alcoholics in the world??
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
It is a part of the culture, but it's not a loved part of it. Most people don't like it and just feel obligated to do it by seniors or coworkers because they feel that they can't say no. You also "can't leave" until the older people or everyone decides to leave as a group because people will keep nagging you to stay which makes you feel guilty/awkward. My husband is Korean and it's one of the things he dislikes the most about living in Korea and can't wait until we move to the U.S.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
The same thing it has with the average 아저씨 being full of shit. I've genuinely lost count of the number of legitimate grievances you've refused to acknowledge on the basis of blind conformism.

Koreans drink A LOT and there are big alcoholism issues here, but dude, condoms and businessmen everywhere?

Pretty sure I acknowledge the grievance right there.

So show some reverence (where due)
Who is this guy, frickin Mother Teresa? This is some guy who I've never even met, who for all we know could be running around as an elven princess on server China #4 (not that there's anything wrong with that) and comes on here and spouts a bunch of nonsense about Gangnam having a bunch of passed out businessmen EVERY night and condoms everywhere and is talking about Gangnam like its some sort of exclusive elite zone that's also the craziest drunken nightlife on the planet. So what he's been to 6 countries and is 60 years old. I'm American first, I don't give a crap about his age. Maybe you've spent too much time in Korea if you're thinking like that.

Dude, we live IN Korea!!! Some of us live in Seoul believe it or not. Some of us hang out in Gangnam on a regular basis. Like, wtf is he talking about? Condoms and the place being ridiculously crazy. Dude, Gangnam is mild. It's about the same as Jonggak. There's busy nights and dead nights.

For all his life and travel experience, you'd think he'd have enough to realize that all things considered, as far as handling their drink, there's a lot worse out there than Koreans. They drink a lot. There's some serious issues with alcoholism here, but like other posters have said, so there's some people being drunk and jolly and a few pass out or sleep in a coffee shop. Big frickin deal. CRAZIEST DRUNK PLACE IN THE WORLD that does not make.

I think most of us got over the novelty of seeing crazy drunkenness downtown when we went to college.

accept your title as the forum's biggest hypocrite. Maybe you'll even make the 2018 awards thread
You mean the Couch bed thread where I went nuclear on that lady who talked about how rude Americans were when it came to beds compared to Koreans? That one? The one where my BS radar went up and I asked her to show pics/compare it to other laundry rooms and when we finally saw them we realized what a princess she was being? That one?

What do that thread and confusedsaffer's claim have in common? One bashes Korea and one doesn't. But both people are getting called out for posting nonsense. I'm giving him the same treatment I gave her.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
I have no problem with confusedsaffer, but Martin is right. No one owes some automatic respect to someone on here just because they are old.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
Furthermore, in a metro area of 25 million, in one of the busiest districts in that area, it would be more weird NOT to find a condom on the ground at least once. What do you think is found on the ground in NYC or Chicago? Let's see, condoms, needles, shell casings, plastic bag with bloodstains, empty dime bags, whatever the local homeless left after a squat, etc.

I saw a condom on the ground!!!! This place is crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
My my. DeM is really wound up today, must have touched a sensitive spot.     ;D

To use your lingo, chill dude, chill. You are going to have a stroke. Enjoy your Utopia and I will enjoy mine, live in the beautiful Philippines and work in laid-back Taiwan with the kindest people I have ever met. That's my Utopia.

Over and out.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »

Vegas aint got #@%*  on Gangnam!

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
Wow confusedsaffer really did a number on DeMartino in this thread. #powned

Drink responsibly licking your wounds mate.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »

I lived in a city the size of Seoul in China and in my two and a bit years there, I never saw one drunk person in the street.

:rolleyes:

OkaY

Online shanebarry1986

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
If it's for the elite, how the heck did you end up there?

oof

in his 60s, 

That explains it. For someone so qualified and experienced and wise and elite, the guy finds a lot of time to post on a forum for expats in a country he doesn't live in. And apparently hates.

Anyway, Gangnam is for yuppies. The old money elite are here the leafy suburbs of Jongno.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 12:33:51 PM »

Really? Is anyone buying his crap about Gangnam?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »

Really? Is anyone buying his crap about Gangnam?

Gangnam's got some wild "style". They've got a big statue and everything. NY doesn't have a big statue...of Psy's hands.

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »
Monday through Saturday every restaurant/bar is full of people getting hammered on copious bottles of soju and beer.   I live near a subway station and between the walking strip are at least 40 restaurants.  The place is packed with people until the biggest alcoholics leave at 5am or so. I hear people screaming from my officitel on Mondays..  Wednesdays...every night nearly.  I can understand Friday or Saturday night.

When I leave the gym at like 10pm-12am.. people are stumbling around, spitting and smoking like animals every friggin night.   I'm no puritan but FFS isn't it excessive?  I can only imagine in the coming years when these people partying like they are in freshman year of college, that the NHS will be bankrupt paying for livers and other drinking and smoking-related diseases.   

Don't these people have families to eat with and kids to spend time with?  Why doesn't the gov't regulate this?  Maybe close bars after a certain time on weeknights? 

I'm on a small rant because I'm up late due to people screaming like it's new years eve 1999 outside my offictel.  Got to move away from this area and get near the wholesome family folks.

You're assuming that someone out drinking late on a Wednesday does it every night. One of the fun things about Asia is the rowdy nightlife, and if violent/drunken crime isn't out of hand why should the government regulate it? You put a lot of trust in governments?

Perfect answer, wish I only had more than two thumbs up to give!