February 16, 2019, 02:54:06 PM

Author Topic: How is Cheongju POLY (or POLY Schools in General)?  (Read 401 times)

Offline Allpointseast

• Adventurer
How is Cheongju POLY (or POLY Schools in General)?
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »
   Hi there. I just had an interview for a job at a Poly School in Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has taught in that branch, or in another POLY school. I taught in Korea several years but never in a kindy-elementary. I had sent my c.v. to a recruiter asking for a job,  I was surprised that the recruiter even got back to me, because I am NOT the typical 22 year-old North American female candidate! He arranged an interview with the director.
   The interviewer was clear. I'd be teaching 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. M/W/F and 9 a.m. to 6:40 p.m. T/TH. There would be NINE 40 minute classes, per day, 5 periods with kindergartners and 4 with elementary kids. Preparation periods and lunch are included. Salary 2.5 million won. There are 11 western teachers there. Essentially, the school director confirmed what the recruiter had told me. He said there was medical but NO dental insurance.
   This is a very hectic work schedule. There are lots of issues that could potentially develop.So, I politely asked the director if he could let me talk to the other western teachers there. Immmediately, he changed the subject, and would not answer this question. So, I am suspicious. With a such hectic schedule, the school needs to be very organised, with good staff communication, low stress and a positive energy, and minimal lesson planning.Otherwise, things can go very bad quite quickly. It happened to a Canadian friend of mine at a hagwon in Bucheon (not POLY).
   If any of you have worked at Cheongju POLY, please drop me a line. Similarly, if you have taught at other POLY branches on a similar schedule, please let me know. Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
Re: How is Cheongju POLY (or POLY Schools in General)?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:39:10 PM »
Wow, nine 40 minute classes a day consistently is a lot... public elementary school is 4 or 5 per day.
With years of prior experience in Korea you should be eligible for around 2.5 million/month in a job that doesn't have so many teaching hours.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
Return flight?  If not, ask for 2.6 a month.  It should be 2.7 or 2.8 which they use to pay, but that was also working till 7 or 8 instead of 6:30.  Ask for more or take a job working less with slightly less pay.  You have experience as you said already so you should be able to demand some decent compensation. 

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
I did two years at a Poly years ago.  It was a pretty brutal schedule but no one who was teaching kindy was at less than 2.65.  I was at just under 3/month and this was over a decade ago.  So they're paying less all these years later.  For the pay they're offering you it's not worth it.  Your day is going to be non-stop and with all the homework marking and report cards you'll be expected to stay late to finish if you don't get it done during regular hours.  I think they also offer one of the lower housing stipends in the industry to force people into taking their housing. 

Offline Allpointseast

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
  Actually, the recruiter, Starteachers wanted to contact my references before the interview. I decided to ignore that request. I felt the guy from the school was pretty straightforward, but what was on offer was brutal. Nine 40 minute classes per day is tough. Are all kindergartens like this now? It was either jailed president Lee Myung-bak, or jailed president Park Geun-hye who deregulated the teaching hours so kindergartens could stay open for longer.
  I will certainly ask the recruiter for something better than this. Is anything better available in the private sector?

Online NorthStar

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 09:00:40 AM »
Poly School, pretends to be of the league of an international school but it is nothing more than an ate-up hogwan, that stresses out the kids and the teachers. 

If you want to teach between 45-50 classes per week...right on. 

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
5 morning kindy classes and 4 elementary classes seems pretty normal for a kindy/elem hagwon.

But Poly gets its bad reputation because they basically don't have holidays, and some of their managers screw their staff over everything. When I lived in Cheongju the Poly there had an ok reputation though.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.