March 25, 2019, 04:19:58 PM

Author Topic: Blowing your nose  (Read 2507 times)

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
Blowing your nose
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:39:50 AM »
So after seeing conversations pop up on Facebook and Reddit recently, I've been wondering...is blowing your nose considered rude in Korea?

From what I've been reading, it sounds like we shouldn't blow our noses in the company of Koreans because they consider it disgusting.  The same way that we consider hacking and spitting to be disgusting.  Are they really on the same level?

I sometimes blow my nose in the office and now I'm worried that my coworkers are secretly wincing haha.  Come to think of it, and I'm really wracking my brain here, I don't think I've ever seen a Korean person do it haha.  Plenty of sniffing though  :laugh:

Online zola

• The Legend
Re: Blowing your nose
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
I've heard it is rude, but I've seen Koreans do it. I try to never do it in front of others. I'll step outside the office to do it.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
Based on my experience, it seems okay to do it, while you are sick at least.
However, this could be because my boss and co-workers seem more westernized.
My co-worker and the head teacher / VP have both spent a fair amount of time in English speaking countries, so they understand English culture a bit. So, I haven't had a problem so far.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
It is considered rude and disgusting, especially if you do it while at an eating table, but there are different measures of disgust over it. Some people care, others don't. I get the impression that feelings over it aren't as strong as they used to be.

I play it safe and excuse myself to do it, usually out into the hall or in a bathroom. I don't need to give anyone any more fuel to talk shit about.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:56:09 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
It is considered rude and disgusting, especially if you do it while at an eating table, but there are different measures of disgust over it. Some people care, others don't. I get the impression that feelings over it aren't as strong as it used to be.

I play it safe and excuse myself to do it, usually out into the hall or in a bathroom. I don't need to give anyone any more fuel to talk shit about.

Yeah, around food I'll excuse myself; But, in the teachers office, I'll usually do it at my desk but, I try to be as quiet as I can about it. :p

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
It is considered rude and disgusting, especially if you do it while at an eating table, but there are different measures of disgust over it. Some people care, others don't. I get the impression that feelings over it aren't as strong as it used to be.

Yeah, around food I'll excuse myself; But, in the teachers office, I'll usually do it at my desk but, I try to be as quiet as I can about it. :p

My coTs do the same, but they also try to bend over as low as they can get in their seats before doing it. Their heads are practically under their desks.

I can't be quiet when I blow my nose. It's always a loud honk which, tbf, all Koreans seem to think is cute and hilarious, but there's nothing I can do about it. I've tried. xD

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
yeah, i'll try and do it out of earshot, at least

my old co-workers would find it completely fine to, instead of blowing their nose, sniff every 5 seconds for the whole day. this is much more annoying and rude if you ask me, but what can you do...

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 09:38:26 AM »
If the locals are going to cough and sneeze all over me (and each other), I'm going to blow my nose.

Online Joshalott

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
The constant sniffing tilts me off the face of the planet at times. Much rather someone just blow the trumpet nose every few minutes than minor sniffs every 2 seconds. I've seen many Korean teachers and students just blow their nose loud and proud in front of class, so, maybe comparatively to westerners they do it less but they def. do it. I do notice they don't wash their hands afterwards, which if they have a cold, is a little gross to me.   

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 10:58:57 AM »
I thought it was really only a big deal at the dinner table or a meeting or something. Just sitting around the office or whatever, it doesn't seem like anyone cares.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
I thought it was really only a big deal at the dinner table or a meeting or something. Just sitting around the office or whatever, it doesn't seem like anyone cares.

I thought the same. Everyone with half a rain blows their nose when it's running.

Those people that sit at their desk all day sniffling and wiping their nose on their sweater are the worst of the worst in society. 
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »

I thought the same. Everyone with half a rain blows their nose when it's running.

Those people that sit at their desk all day sniffling and wiping their nose on their sweater are the worst of the worst in society.

I will never understand how a runny nose that goes down your face and sniffing every 7 seconds is preferable to a nice blow into a kleenex every half an hour.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
All the Korean women I work in the same building as seem to have a box of tissues on their desk. I know this as someone with chronic sinus problems and no fixed work space. 

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
Mostly this. Don't blow your nose in front of food, or superiors/elders. Any place else, and in front of anyone else, is fine.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
Funnily, I'd be less disgusted by someone blowing their nose at the table, than open mouthed chewing, slurping and lip smacking.  That's probably personal preference though. 

Online sbk

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
I did it in front of the kids today. Not sure what they thought of it. I usually do it in a different room alone if i can even at home. I saw a guy on the train who was totally unaware of his surroundings blow his nose strongly. The girl next to him look horrified and moved seats. Even i though that was inconsiderate. I guess there is a lot of inconsiderate behavior on the trains.     

Also, what's with the loud sneezing attacks i have heard at restaurants? Usually old guys - who else .... man it was at least 10 sneezes in a row at full volume. Well it only happened twice but it was very noticeable.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »
I did it in front of the kids today. Not sure what they thought of it. I usually do it in a different room alone if i can even at home. I saw a guy on the train who was totally unaware of his surroundings blow his nose strongly. The girl next to him look horrified and moved seats. Even i though that was inconsiderate. I guess there is a lot of inconsiderate behavior on the trains.     

Also, what's with the loud sneezing attacks i have heard at restaurants? Usually old guys - who else .... man it was at least 10 sneezes in a row at full volume. Well it only happened twice but it was very noticeable.

Got one of them in the office. I swear she does it on purpose for attention.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline chkcor2245

• Newgookin
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
As an allergy ridden, sinus goop laden member of Korean society, I blow my nose pretty regularly in just about every season. Never had anyone give me a noticeable sideways glance, even as a foreigner or in restaurants. Perhaps it's just about communicating polite intent during the procedure. I think the younger generation understands that you've gotta do what you've gotta do. IMO Much worse is gobbing all up and down the sidewalks leaving little nose jellyfish, or incessantly sniffling to avoid the act.

Online Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »

Sounds like one of my Korean male co-workers -- he always sneezes several times in a row super-loudly to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if people on the other side of the floor can hear him.

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
One thing that is great about not being in Korea is that other East Asian and South-East Asian countries don't get all bent out of shape if you do something that is 'offensive' to their culture. At worst they will point it out to you in a nice way or just let it slide.

Koreans are way too uptight.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!