March 23, 2019, 12:19:55 AM

Author Topic: Pet peeves with Recruiters  (Read 809 times)

Offline Sagi Keun

• Waygookin
Pet peeves with Recruiters
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
Recruiters are much nicer than they were ten years ago, I'll give them that. I mean they are more polite, they are even much more honest about the job conditions. They greet, they say please and thankyou.

But there are still things they do that drive me insane:

1. Not reading the resume. I have lost count of the amount of times recruiters ask again for information that is already clearly displayed on the front of the resume. Seriously, its obvious that all they ever do is glance at your photo, not even taking notice of your nationality, qualifications or age.

For example here is a standard communication with a recruiter:

Applicant: Dear Ace Number 1 recruiting, I am a Canadian teacher, 39 years old, with 5 years experience and can start in February. Please see my photograph attached.

Recruiter: Oh, you handsome. The school is interested. Tell me, what country you? when can you start? Did you teach before?

Applicant: uhhh (sigh)... I can start February, I have 5 years experience. I'm Canadian, you can see on the resume?

Recruiter:  Ok great! yes the school likes you. Wait...ummm. You're 39?? *cough*. Um sorry, so, I mean, you're 39? I see. Um actually I think the job has gone already.

Applicant: Yes, I already told you my age on the resume!

2. They never tell you if you didn't get the job. Invariably a recruiter says "I'll keep you updated!" but in fact they never do. So maybe you had a great interview and you think you got the job. You wait 3 days. Then 5 days. Then you finally call to find out what happened. "oh, sorry, they employed someone else, didn't you know?". It would have been incredibly convenient to my decision-making process to have known that. Basically if you need information from them, expect to hear crickets.

3.  Asking too much detailed information. You don't need to know when I first came to Korea or even every school or job I have ever worked at and my life story. And in the initial stages of an application, you do not need to see anything other than a resume. There really is no need for me to request my passport scan simply to apply for a job. What is on the resume is quite enough.

4. Requesting a video interview. We all know that you're simply interested in appearance when you ask for a videochat interview. Its not like you ask any questions that you couldn't ask over the phone.

Recruiter: I want videochat interview

Applicant: Um, can we just talk on the phone?

Recruiter: Sorry we need proper video interview. Oh..ok I can see you. Nice shirt. Oh ok you can switch back to phone calling now if you want.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
Re: Pet peeves with Recruiters
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
Recruiters are much nicer than they were ten years ago, I'll give them that. I mean they are more polite, they are even much more honest about the job conditions. They greet, they say please and thankyou.

Recruiter: Oh, you handsome. The school is interested. Tell me, what country you? when can you start? Did you teach before?

Your recruiter was Thai?   Seriously, I agree wholeheartedley with your point but what's with that accent? 

Online Titus Groan

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
   I thank my lucky stars that I never used a recruiter for my job search...Then again, I've only held 2 jobs here in > 20 years...!

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 11:03:23 PM »
Then again, I've only held 2 jobs here in > 20 years...!

Howdya manage that?

I have been culled every time a new boss appeared who didn't like me, discontinued for being too strict, etc etc. Longest job I held down was 4 years.
Catch my drift?

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »

Howdya manage that?

I have been culled every time a new boss appeared who didn't like me, discontinued for being too strict, etc etc. Longest job I held down was 4 years.

That's why you're not suppose to be strict.  Most Koreans want you to let the kids run wild and free to some degree.  Then again, you'll get the odd boss who's a dick who will want the exact opposite to what the majority want.  So, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Online Titus Groan

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »

Howdya manage that?

Sorry, guess I missed this query...and I haven't had a computer for a while; just picked up a new one yesterday.

When I came here it was through a friend who was already here...he got me a pretty decent hogwan gig where he worked; spent three years there, then took a break (Went to LAOS every break...), then came back and another good mate set me up with a Uni gig in 2000 - been there ever since!