March 25, 2019, 03:37:12 PM

Author Topic: Holy *hit. Went to a Korean Dept. Store w/gf  (Read 3900 times)

Online PatrickBateman

• Adventurer
Holy *hit. Went to a Korean Dept. Store w/gf
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
Well had my first experience in a Korean department store.  Been here awhile and never need to step foot in one.  I have a gf and wanted to buy her a new coat so I suggested we go shopping.  We went to Lotte Dept. store.

What in the actual f..  All these no name Korean brands selling basic wool coats or whatever for asinine amounts of money.  800k for a pea coat made by J.Moonwangdong bla bla or 1.2m for a coat made by Winterwonderland jihhee lee..  Do Koreans think a higher price automatically means good.. high quality and well made? 

The quality was on par with any other mass-produced item from China sweatshops.  Who in the world is paying these prices?  Do rich Koreans just have money to burn? Yes, they do.  I assume when rich Koreans want to spend money on high fashion they buy italian, english and french name brands that people know so they can show off their wealth.  They're ostentatious like that.

I said fug this.. lets go to Costco.  My American company didn't let me down.  High-quality coats at a reasonable price.

Don't waste your time in these overpriced traps.  Can't believe how freaking crowded it was. Most Koreans were rummaging around the sales bin like rabid dogs in heat.  So maybe the expensive stuff is just a ploy since I saw barely anyone buying it.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Holy *hit. Went to a Korean Dept. Store w/gf
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
Do Koreans think a higher price automatically means good.. high quality and well made? 

basically yeah

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
Do Koreans think a higher price automatically means good.. high quality and well made? 

basically yeah

Refer to the Ikea fiasco.

"But Ikea's prices are reasonable and their things are pretty decently made! I charge 3 times that and it's kind of shoddy!!!!!! What will happen to my business??????"
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
Yes, people here believe more expensive things are better and pay money for brand names. A phenomenon I'm sure you're encountering for the first time here and never experienced back home.

Also, just because YOU don't know the story behind those Korean brands doesn't mean there isn't a reason for their price. Of course, it likely is way overpriced for no reason, but I'm willing to bet that at least in some cases, there's some other reason (probably some Kpop star wore it because their gf's sister is the designer or some crap like that).

The other reason of course, is that usually the price you see on the tag is not the real price. It's usually something like, 1/4th of it.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
Yes, people here believe more expensive things are better and pay money for brand names. A phenomenon I'm sure you're encountering for the first time here and never experienced back home.

Also, just because YOU don't know the story behind those Korean brands doesn't mean there isn't a reason for their price.
And some classic Martino sarcasm to end off the day 8)

Online PatrickBateman

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
Sorry, Martino..   Haven't experienced it back home.  We have something called free market competition in which only the best brands/quality survive so the consumer wins.  A no-name Korean clothing brand can't come to the USA and charge $1200 for a pea coat unless the brand is world renowned for its craftsmanship and quality.  Usually, in Korea, you can choose from this overpriced Korean product here or that insanely overpriced imported product over there.  I will say, thing have gotten better and there is more choice and prices are coming down.  Costco opened up the eyes of many.  But even they are being bullied into carrying mostly Korean items I'm starting to notice. 

Offline SPQR

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
Brand names often do mean better quality.  I get hand made shoes from England.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/
https://www.pediwear.co.uk/

I pay more for shoes like this but they last 10-20 years easily.  There are other
examples of this.  Mercedes Benz cars are extremely durable. Swiss watches are
well made.

But I have to admit 800,000원 for a puffy jacket is ludicrous.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
Brand names often do mean better quality.  I get hand made shoes from England.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/
https://www.pediwear.co.uk/

I pay more for shoes like this but they last 10-20 years easily.  There are other
examples of this.  Mercedes Benz cars are extremely durable. Swiss watches are
well made.

But I have to admit 800,000원 for a puffy jacket is ludicrous.
for a lot of things in korea, "after-service" is big, so you could get your 10 year old rice cooker repaired for free, so that is probably built into the price, too

probably not for coats though, as the 옷수선 places are so cheap for clothes repairs. so, yeah, 800k for a coat is mental

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
A Columbia brand-name coat costs $300 here at the outlet mall in the states. It costs four times that in Korea. Koreans are masters at ripping each other off, you can thank protectionism and the chaebols for that.

Offline teacher1988

• Veteran

Offline Allpointseast

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 04:13:11 AM »
  Yes, I agree that some of these garments are way over-priced. It shocked me in Korea. Where I come from we have Primark for cheap clothes. We know Marks and Spencers might be a bit more pricey, but affordable, and excellent quality. River Island will be pricey, perhaps, but perhaps not crazily so. That's Scotland for you.
  When I was in Japan, things could get crazily expensive, as there seemed to be an emphasis on pricey, high-end goods. Some foodstuffs were crazily expensive. Japanese people were perfectly prepared to pay $5 for a single, perfectly, formed peach, because it was a perfect peach, from a perfect farm in Japan. The reason Japan was so expensive is that for decades government saw its job as protecting Japanese companies. Getting a good deal for consumers was not  iportant. Protecting Japanese farmers was vital because of their voting patterns.
  I don't think things in Korea are the same as in Japan, but I do think protectionism is a big thing. Big companies and chaebols try to control the market.
  Meanwhile, you can consider it a great blessing that Costco exists!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
Sorry, Martino..   Haven't experienced it back home.  We have something called free market competition in which only the best brands/quality survive so the consumer wins.  A no-name Korean clothing brand can't come to the USA and charge $1200 for a pea coat unless the brand is world renowned for its craftsmanship and quality.  Usually, in Korea, you can choose from this overpriced Korean product here or that insanely overpriced imported product over there.  I will say, thing have gotten better and there is more choice and prices are coming down.  Costco opened up the eyes of many.  But even they are being bullied into carrying mostly Korean items I'm starting to notice.

Again, it might be no name TO YOU, but it might be well known to others in Korea. There had to be a reason it was selected. It's name wasn't drawn out of a hat. The government didn't tell the department store to carry it. If it's Hyundai or Lotte they carry every other foreign brand. Now, unless those coats are being sold for prices far higher than $1200, market controls aren't causing the coat to be priced at $1200. You can also go to some other Korean store and get a coat for $200. That isn't the only coat for sale. Also, you can just go to Macy's and get whatever they have on sale+shipping. The Korean government isn't stopping you. Also as far as quality it can vary but then again, your brand name whatever might be made in the same Malaysian factory as the Korean item.

And again usually the items are sold at far less than the tag price.

Lastly as far as protectionism, the jobs of Korean workers and giving Korean companies the chance to build themselves up and get going is far more important than YOUR access to cheap consumer goods. This country dies not exist to make you happy.

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 08:17:36 AM »
It's usually Americans that complain about prices in Korea. Because as a Canadian, we pay pretty high prices in Canada in order to maintain many of our public services that people south of the 49th may lack. While the markets in New York, can give some of the markets in Nigeria a run for their money in how cheap they can sell a T-shirt for.

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »

Again, it might be no name TO YOU, but it might be well known to others in Korea. There had to be a reason it was selected. It's name wasn't drawn out of a hat. The government didn't tell the department store to carry it. If it's Hyundai or Lotte they carry every other foreign brand. Now, unless those coats are being sold for prices far higher than $1200, market controls aren't causing the coat to be priced at $1200. You can also go to some other Korean store and get a coat for $200. That isn't the only coat for sale. Also, you can just go to Macy's and get whatever they have on sale+shipping. The Korean government isn't stopping you. Also as far as quality it can vary but then again, your brand name whatever might be made in the same Malaysian factory as the Korean item.

And again usually the items are sold at far less than the tag price.

Lastly as far as protectionism, the jobs of Korean workers and giving Korean companies the chance to build themselves up and get going is far more important than YOUR access to cheap consumer goods. This country dies not exist to make you happy.

I'd say your credibility here took a hit, but that was torpedoed a long time ago.  Koreans absolutely will happily pay a premium mark up on products believing it relates to the quality and prestige of the item.  You cannot have lived here any length of time and not noticed it across the spectrum of consumer products and services.  You know it's true. 

And as to your point that it happens back in the west, sure, it happens with a demographic known as the nouveau riche, or trailer trash that won the lottery.  But how does the same mindset existing in a segment of the population back home make the fact it happens here any less true?

The irony of Dmart's protestations and defenses of all things Korean is that if you were to believe him, there is nothing unique about Korean culture or behaviour.  Everything that happens here, according to Mart, also happens back home. 

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
It's usually Americans that complain about prices in Korea. Because as a Canadian, we pay pretty high prices in Canada in order to maintain many of our public services that people south of the 49th may lack. While the markets in New York, can give some of the markets in Nigeria a run for their money in how cheap they can sell a T-shirt for.

I'd say The US, depending on the exchange rate, is a better place to shop than Canada, but not Korea.  As a Canadian I think the prices for brand name stuff here is a rip off compared to back home.  First time I took my gf home to Toronto we went to The Bay's flagship store and she went through marvelling at how much cheaper high end brands were. From cosmetics to a Phillips razor at Walmart it was a real eye-opener.  When we popped down to Florida and an outlet mall, yes, that really woke her up.  Our trip to London the year before and Selfridge's just made her think Korean prices were on par with the west. 

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »
I'd say The US, depending on the exchange rate, is a better place to shop than Canada, but not Korea.  As a Canadian I think the prices for brand name stuff here is a rip off compared to back home.  First time I took my gf home to Toronto we went to The Bay's flagship store and she went through marvelling at how much cheaper high end brands were. From cosmetics to a Phillips razor at Walmart it was a real eye-opener.  When we popped down to Florida and an outlet mall, yes, that really woke her up.  Our trip to London the year before and Selfridge's just made her think Korean prices were on par with the west.
From Alberta, and our recent 2 decades of prosperity really drove up prices there.

Offline Princess-Love

• Waygookin
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »
Hahahah I thought this post was about the OP saying his gf wanted to buy everything and now he is broke lol

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »

Shopping in the USA is excellent compared to shopping in Korea. I don't know about Canada. It has so much variety in not only fashion styles, but prices. You can find great items whether you are poor, middle class, or wealthy. Most Americans don't care about high-end brands enough to pay for them so we have tons of stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. These stores sell higher end stuff at a discount, usually overstock items. 9 of 10 people will go there instead of Macy's. It's also fair to say we are more about quantity than quality because we have bigger homes, bigger closets, more space, etc. We buy more stuff to fill it while Korean homes are usually much smaller so it makes more sense to buy higher quality items and less stuff overall.

However, I think the OP's point that a few people seem to miss or ignore is that the items in question were low quality, but extremely expensive.  Those two things don't add up and is why he's angry. If you pay $1200 for a coat, you want it to the be the best quality and last for years, but I'm guessing he got more of a Gmarket vibe from it.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
The worst is furniture. The prices are outrageous. And the quality is absolute shite. Cheap particle board inside with weird, plasticky, faux wood on the outside. Or that brown leather sofa that 97% of the households in the country own.

My mother in law bought us a bed when we got married, which is nice. My wife told me the price and it was millions and millions of won. I couldn't believe it.
Then about two years ago I was moving it and a chunk of the headboard broke if in my hand. That same particle board stuff that you find in the most budget of furniture stores elsewhere and should be a few hundred dollars tops. EVERYTHING is made out of it. It's like solid wood doesn't exist.

And I should add, last year there was a video released of a hidden camera expose of some Chaebol family woman screaming at an underling in her ultra luxury apartment. What I noticed was the furniture in the background was the same gaudy, tacky, particle board shit every one else has.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:46:41 AM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
There are affordable, Korean made clothes in large sizes.

Yesterday my wife came back with a new winter coat, 5 pairs of slacks, 8 tops, and a shorts set for about 600k₩.

These places are off the beaten path, but they are there. Most Koreans donít buy all their clothes at The Hyundai.