March 23, 2019, 12:56:49 AM

Author Topic: Questions regarding make up policy  (Read 536 times)

Offline gatekeeper87

• Newgookin
Questions regarding make up policy
« on: December 13, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »
I was wondering if you guys provide make up classes for canceled classes at the last minute.

I have been getting a lot of pressure from my current employer to provide make up classes for all the canceled classes.

I have been trying to do so, but most of the time students just can't make it to make up sessions because they are either in a meeting or on business trips.

On top of that, random students will join canceled session if other students can't join make up sessions.

I am just so stressed out and don't know if this is considered normal for instructors who teach adults (Business English to company employees).

any advice?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Questions regarding make up policy
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
well, who canceled? you or the students? if it's the students that cancel i don't do make up classes, but i also don't get paid

if i cancel the class, i just tag on an extra class to the end of the contract

e.g. i was sick in september, the contract finishes in december, and i'll just do an extra class at the end

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:26:26 PM »
In a hagwon-like situation (basically not public school), I think it's fairly normal to try make up the missed classes (this could depend on the individual company / personal experience however).

In the public school game. Cancelled classes don't usually have to be made up, except for maybe after school classes. This may also depend on the individual school as well.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
ultimately i guess it comes down to what your contract says

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 01:32:16 PM »
Like a full makeover or just a little blush and lipstick?

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »

In the public school game. Cancelled classes don't usually have to be made up, except for maybe after school classes. This may also depend on the individual school as well.

I'm public and the school I'm currently in makes me do make up classes. Annoying because I'll come in on a Monday morning and they tell me "Oh you have an extra class starting in ten minutes because your Friday class in two weeks is cancelled" totally throws me out of whack.

You're right I don't think it's usually the case. It's the first public I've ever worked in to make me do this.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »

I'm public and the school I'm currently in makes me do make up classes. Annoying because I'll come in on a Monday morning and they tell me "Oh you have an extra class starting in ten minutes because your Friday class in two weeks is cancelled" totally throws me out of whack.

You're right I don't think it's usually the case. It's the first public I've ever worked in to make me do this.

It's rare, but can happen, especially if the school is run by arseholes.  I remember one middle school my first year back before the great recession when schools were chill and often cancelled classes and let you go home early.  I did 3 schools and two were slack as hell.  But one, I went to two days a week were total asshats much more than any school I've ever had since.  This includes recent years where more schools are by the book with most rules and contract stuff.  Anyways, this one bad school, they would make me come in and sit there all day during exam days from 8 30 to 4 30 when the other schools gave me the day off (and many schools now will let you leave early on those days).  I had no classes, but they would take any missed classes and add them into the next weeks schedule to have me make up for the missed classes.  Boy were they pricks.  I showed up a couple of times at 8 35 or something like that and my co teacher would bitch constantly about me being late.  Thankfully there were no attendance sheets back then (she probably would have had me sign it as late).  I have never heard of a school make you sign in as late on attendance sheet if you get there at 8 35  8 40 or whatever.  No one cares. 

Yeah, you can get a really bad school sometimes.  I think they are rarer and rarer.  My school at that time had very limited experience with foreigners so it created a lot of friction.  They'd bitch when I was friendly with the kids too.  They told me I had to be a teacher like them and act like I had a rod up my butt.  I swear they all had frowning contests with each other to see who could like the biggest asshole.  They would call the education office to complain about any minor thing.  The head teacher gave me a really scathing bad review.  I only worked there for one semester due to my hiring time.  If they hadn't of been so desperate for teachers back then, I probably would have had to leave.  But I did get renewed anyways and every other school since has not been as bad as that.  But I did remember me and the other native teacher at the time had to visit the education office once a month or so and the supervisor was telling me the complaints.  I did tell him they were unreasonable and push back, but it was still stressful at the time.  It started after being in Korea for about 4 months or so till the end of the semester about 3 months later.  Kind of helped end the honeymoon from the first year.  (I guess I am glad it toughened me up and made me mildly defensive since.  Nothing has been as bad since.) 

I had a friend in a smaller rural town who went through something similar a couple of years ago and he got non renewed because of it.  Kind of sucked.  He went to China and he makes more money now.  Co teacher was a contract teacher who hated foreigners I guess.  Other schools wanted him to stay and even tried to get her to rewrite her review.  But she refused.  They got rid of her later on I heard too.  Anyways, my point is bad schools are out there though quite rare.  So, don't worry.