February 16, 2019, 02:53:17 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Tb in korea?  (Read 429 times)

Offline Melonade

• Waygookin
Tb in korea?
« on: December 13, 2018, 12:53:06 AM »
What happens if you contract Tb in korea? If you are forced to leave will it mean no re entry in the future, I presume even if cleared from Tb it might still show on the X-ray? It says online foreigners can be treated without deportation but Iím guessing the school will fire in most cases. So would it be impossible to re enter?

Offline KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: Tb in korea?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:14:37 AM »
When were you diagnosed with it?

Offline Melonade

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 05:58:43 AM »
Iím not Iím just curious about it

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
At orientation back in Feb. there was a teacher who had/has TB.  From what I "heard", she was isolated (her entire group had to be retested) and she and her partner were sent home.  I felt so bad for her.   :-[ 

Offline Melonade

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:31 AM »
Thatís not good! I guess that was at the medical test, so theyíd have to be deported straight away. I want to know if itís possible to re enter after having Tb. Or if itís guaranteed to be deported if you catch it once youíve started work. I read about someone that was treated and then went back to work, surely the scars would show on X-ray? I also read about someone that had Tb as a child but was let in. It seems thereís not one rule about it.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »
if you have tb while teaching, you will probably be fired.  the treatment for that takes a long tie and  it's highly contagious and you shouldn't be around students.  latent tb wont show up on an xray but the lung scarring might scare the doctors when they do a medical exam.  if they decide to deport, you are pretty much boned.

you should be able to reenter korea no problem as a tourist.  if you are wanting to reenter as a teacher, you will have to take the medical exam and hope the people there understand that the lung scarring is due to tb you had from before, and is not active now. 

there is a thread on reddit about this topic and someone had some good info about how they test.   

Offline Melonade

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
Is it possible to re enter on spouse visa? My husband is korean

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
should be.  if your husband is korean, i'm assuming you have an f6 visa?  you just walk on through the airport like everyone else does. 

Offline Ariadne

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 10:52:23 AM »
... Why are you worried about this in the 21st century? Shouldn't you have been vaccinated against TB as a child/are from a country where TB has been eradicated?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
... Why are you worried about this in the 21st century? Shouldn't you have been vaccinated against TB as a child/are from a country where TB has been eradicated?
TB is relatively common in Korea. You would be in contact with more TB infected people during your time here than you ever would be back wherever you came from. And the spitting and questionable cough/sneezing practices, means its something people should be aware of.

The TB vaccine is only effective for 10-15 years also. So most of us wouldn't be protected in adulthood.
Kpip! - Martin 2018