February 22, 2019, 12:15:20 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: bathroom smells like sewer  (Read 546 times)

Offline girlf

• Adventurer
bathroom smells like sewer
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:50:26 AM »
Need a solution:  My husband and I moved into this old resident home.  Landlord said they renovated 2 years ago but I have found every thing wrong with this place the day we moved in.  The bathroom smells like gas/sewer/shit/fart and like someone poured a whole tub of kimchi down the drain.  The smell is most strong at night.  My husband does everything half ass so he told the landlord which the landlord does everything pretty much half ass too.  They assumed it was the drain so the landlord changed the opening to the drain.  It hasn't helped at all.  I've pretty much had it.  Have any of you ever had this shit smell linger in your bathroom?  I've come to a conclusion that Koreans do everything half ass and never really do fix the problems.  Please helppp!

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
Re: bathroom smells like sewer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »
Found this doing a web search:

1.Run the water listen for gurgles or bubbling sounds. That is an indicator for drain blockage. So, just get the Draino, pour about half the bottle down the drain, and walk away. Then heat up some water in the kettle and pour it down the drain. This should help with some blockage. If that doesnít help, you might have to use that plastic snake with the little finger hole to unclog the clog (Daiso). I donít want to use that because I donít want to know what the other person let slip down the drainÖ.ewwww.
2.If you have bad smells coming from your drain try baking soda. If that doesnít work then pour a little bleach down the drain, especially if you have that sewer smell. Pour bleach down all the drains (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower drain.) You donít have to pour a lot, but just enough to do something. *SPECIAL NOTE* When finished with all the drains for the rest of the night ie. finished showering, pour a bit of bleach down it to keep the smell in check. When the smell is in check, then you can switch to baking soda.

hope it helps

Offline girlf

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
I've done bleach, baking soda and vinegar....the smell just comes back.  I'll try draino later.  Thank you. 

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
Can you take a picture of the bathroom sink and any pipes that may be leading from it? I had a similar problem in my kitchen, and it turned out to be nasty build up in one of the plastic pipes. When they installed it the pipe was too long and had a slight bend, which caused build up to collect in the bend. I replaced it with a new pipe (that I cut to make smaller) that I found at Homeplus. It immediately removed the smell.

Offline girlf

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
we have a new sink and toilet that were installed in August.  Can see the pipes since the sink blocks it.  The smell goes away when I pour bleach in the sink.  Is there anything I can use to block the drainage in the sink?  I think it is buildup in the pipes since this place is old. 

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Maybe just put a washcloth in a plastic bag and use it, or get a rubber tub stopper and take out the current sink stopper out.

Online KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
No. 

There is nothing you can do to stop the smell.

The smell you are experiencing is what happens when pipes do not have trap plumbing.  Your place is old and does not have it, hence no matter what you put down the drain it won't fix the problem.

You are smelling the gas that is created in the sewer and the increase in pressure pushes it up through the pipes into your bathroom. 

Pouring bleach into a sewer pipe may work for a few min or hours, but it's a sewer, your little bit of bleach won't stop the creation of gas by the bacteria growing in there.

What you need to do is find a new place to live that has proper plumbing which prevents the escape of sewer gas into your place. 

Nothing short of this will solve your problems.

All other advice here is extremely short-sighted & based on experience with proper plumbing, not 3rd world level.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
Yep world-class Korean drains are just pipes that go straight down into the ground. There's no trap (bend) which keeps the sewer smell from coming up. A basic trap pipe is like $2 at a hardware store in the US but apparently it's too expensive and difficult for the ajeosshi builder mafia to install in your average crappy Korean apartment.

The only thing I've found that works is draino. Just put a bit down and it will get rid of the smell but it will come back. There's just nothing you can do. Good luck finding an affordable apartment that has basic plumbing traps. Just another example of what a cheapskate joke Korea can be.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
buy some fragrances from DAISO m8

Offline PatrickBateman

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
My bathroom smells like shit from the drain and then cigarettes coming through the vent from my upstairs neighbor smoking in his bathroom.  Yet, I pay 1,100,000 a month for rent for a 400srft place with another 300K in BS fees a month.  The realtor told me the place is worth 375,000,000.  The housing crash here is going to prolific.   

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/60793401?itemId=208492940&vendorItemId=3017182530&q=%ED%8A%B8%EB%9E%A9&itemsCount=36&searchId=336d4537e8dc44cc9a3d250b1810ffef&rank=1

Waygook.org user oglop posted a functional fix, but nobody seems to have noticed. Obviously not a full solution, but definitely better than no remedy.

Offline girlf

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
When half ass landlord came to fix the shower drain, he put something to block the shower drain.  It's shit!   I guess we moving............  I can't deal with this shit any longer.  My previous officetel was clean compared to this shithole.  Thanks guys.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »
https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/60793401?itemId=208492940&vendorItemId=3017182530&q=%ED%8A%B8%EB%9E%A9&itemsCount=36&searchId=336d4537e8dc44cc9a3d250b1810ffef&rank=1

Waygook.org user oglop posted a functional fix, but nobody seems to have noticed. Obviously not a full solution, but definitely better than no remedy.

As a temporary solution, try covering drains when not in use. A heavy 4 liter ziplock bag of water, of a large thawed cold pack works well for floor drains.