March 23, 2019, 12:11:23 AM

Author Topic: First pay check - Recruiter fees?  (Read 568 times)

Offline APH

• Adventurer
First pay check - Recruiter fees?
« on: December 10, 2018, 07:35:03 PM »
Just got my first pay check and I saw that Iíve been reimbursed the cost of my flight (700,000 won) but Iíve also been deducted just over 1 million won?

I havenít had a chance to speak to the director yet as heís barely ever in school but do you think heís maybe charged me the fee for the recruiter? Iíve heard they usually pay the recruiter around 1,000,000 won for each teacher they find.

Before I go address it with him Iím just wondering is it normal for the recruiters fee to sometimes be taken out of your first pay check? Or at least has this happened to anyone else or can anyone think what else this deduction could be for?

sligo

Re: First pay check - Recruiter fees?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
Just got my first pay check and I saw that Iíve been reimbursed the cost of my flight (700,000 won) but Iíve also been deducted just over 1 million won?

I havenít had a chance to speak to the director yet as heís barely ever in school but do you think heís maybe charged me the fee for the recruiter? Iíve heard they usually pay the recruiter around 1,000,000 won for each teacher they find.

Before I go address it with him Iím just wondering is it normal for the recruiters fee to sometimes be taken out of your first pay check? Or at least has this happened to anyone else or can anyone think what else this deduction could be for?

Only the school should pay the recruiter.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
Did your contract say anything about this fee?

If not, speak up.

Itís a test to see how much crap you will take.

Also, check your pension and health contributions are made (and not just deducted.)

Offline APH

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
Did your contract say anything about this fee

If the deduction is to do with recruiter fees then no it wasnít mentioned in the contract. Iím going to see if I can have a word with him tomorrow about it but I canít see what else would be such a large deduction?

What do I say if he just says ďoh yeah we take the recruiter fees out of your first pay check, thatís just our policyĒ, as like I say it wasnít in the contract but I also never asked about it. Weíd kind of be at a stalemate then because I wouldnít want to just give in, like you said, and then worry that every month heís going to try something else. Plus 1 million won is a lot of money. But how likely is it that heíd just go ďok fine you caught me hereís the moneyĒ? What would be my next course of action?

I know Iíve not been here long but so far Iíve had nothing but good interactions with all of my coworkers including the director. We donít see him as much but heís always friendly and according to the other foreign teacher heís never caused any trouble with pay or contract stuff. Iím well aware of the shady business which goes on in some Hagwons and have read all the horror stories but having had 0 problems with them so far it will be a shock if they suddenly try pull something like this.

Online m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:25:48 PM »
Teachers are never responsible for recruiter fees. Ask like there must be some understandable mistake and you're just "confused" and hoping to get more information.

(I'm a recruiter.)

Offline stegaryholt

• Newgookin
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:42 PM »
It may be deposit for your apartment but seems a lot of money to be deducted in one pay check.

I think I was charged maybe 200,000 for the first 2 months of the my contract and I got the money back at the end of the year along with my severance.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
You mention co-workers.  Are any of them also foreigners?  If so, I'd imagine they'd be able to explain it you.  If it's a security deposit and you're a little tight, ask him to break it into instalments the first few months.  Regardless, I've never heard of a security deposit that steep at a hakwan.  When I was at a Gepik school it was 1,150,000.  The recruiter fee is not yours to pay.  None of it.  They were working for the school. 

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
Itís also illegal to withdraw from your paycheck without your expressed approval. If itís for security deposit get something in writing.

Offline ESLinsider

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:42:23 AM »
They shouldn't be taking the money out of your paycheck for a recruiter. I had a recruiter try that once.
Who is ESLinsider?