December 13, 2018, 12:25:12 AM

Author Topic: D10 Visa Changes  (Read 410 times)

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
D10 Visa Changes
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
Apparently from January the D10 visa is only via a points system.

Applicants will need a minimum of 60 points:

Basic points (you should have at least 20 points from this section)

Age: 20-24 (10), 25-29 (15), 30-34 (20), 35-39 (15), 40-49 (5)

Education: Vocational College (10, only if obtained in Korea), Undergraduate (15), Masters (20), Doctorate (30)

Additional points

Working experience in Korea: 1-2 years (5), 3-4 years (10), more than 5 years (15)

Working experience abroad: 3-4 years (5), 5-6 years (10), more than 7 years (15)

Education in Korea (within 3 years since graduation): Vocational College/Undergraduate (20), Masters/PhD (30)

Education in Korea (after 3 years since graduation): Vocational College (5), Undergraduate (10) Masters (15), Doctorate (20)

Between 12-18 months as: Undergraduate researcher, exchange student, student at national/public training institutions, Korean language student (3)

More than 18 months as: Undergraduate researcher, exchange student, student at national/public training institutions (5)

TOPIK or KIIP: Level 2 (5), Level 3 (10), Level 4 (15), Level 5 or above (20)

Recommendation from head of overseas mission / chief of central administrative agency(?) (20)

Graduates from excellent universities (THE top 200/QS top 500) (20)

Bachelor's Degree in Science and Engineering (5)

High income earners with work experience (5)

Point deductions

Violation of immigration law: 1 time (-5), 2 times (-10), 3 times (-30)

Violation of national law: 1 time (-5), 2 times (-10), 3 times (-30)

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/9jw36t/korea_introduces_new_point_system_for_jobseeker/

This would appear to be bad news for eslers.

Someone with a BA and a TEFL certificate will obviously not meet the requirements. So the majority of E2-type people who work in EFL will not qualify.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:39:20 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: New changes to the D10 Visa.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
what's the D10 for? isn't it the job-seeking visa? how long does it last?

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: New changes to the D10 Visa.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »
I'm not sure that this applies to E2 holders. I think the changes only apply to non-E2 applicants from outside the country.

Look at 0:36

They do not even mention E2 holders. They lay out all the previous qualifications needed by non-E2 holders to get D10's (fortune 500 company etc).

Also, it makes no sense to apply such a points system to E2 holders. Doing so eliminates anyone with a BA and TEFL certificate. They will never fill their 2.1 hogwon jobs with Yale grads and ambassadors.

Catch my drift?

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
Re: D10 Visa Changes
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
I'm not sure that this applies to E2 holders. I think the changes only apply to non-E2 applicants from outside the country.

It does apply to E2 VISA holders.

The reason for this change has nothing to do with E2 ppl really, but the new rules still apply to them.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »

It does apply to E2 VISA holders.

The reason for this change has nothing to do with E2 ppl really, but the new rules still apply to them.

What this will do is limit the supply of teachers to employers. At the moment the D10 provides a fluid and easy supply of E2's to jobs, including e.g. those asap jobs or the less desirable jobs. Most teachers come here for 2 or 3 years, not just one year.

From now on there will be fewer teachers willing to undergo the trauma of it all just to enter a job where the power is even more in the employers hands than it was previously. Why spend months going to the expense of preparing new visa documents every year just in case you don't get renewed?

The type of people they list as qualifying for the new version do not look like the sort of people who would be interested in working at mom'n pops hogwon for a year. They're high-flying professionals. Sure, you might get an increase in D10 applicants but I somehow doubt they'd be white westerners, which is what the schools generally want here.

It just seems like yet another attack on English teachers. Designed by some dreamy elitist Korean who thinks his country is the best in the world. Once again they are devaluing the ESL profession.

If they had wanted to improve the level of English teaching here they should've linked it to relevant EFL qualifications. But no, because they're clueless and neither do they even care about English education.

So in summary, E2 holders who wish to continue working in Korea beyond their one year contract will have to:

1. Find a new job before the end of their contract that is timed to start right before their visa expires.
2. Order all new documents a months before the end of their contract, just in case they don't get renewed and have to find a new job.
3. Throw away aforesaid new documents if their employer decides to renew them.
4. Suck up to their employer for a year just to get renewed.
5. Accept whatever conditions for renewal the employer sets, just to avoid the hassle, time, loss of savings of having to fly out, wait around at home while amassing new documents, before starting a new jobhunt.
6. Fly out and return on a tourist visa, pretending to be a tourist, then fly out again to process their new E2.
Catch my drift?

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
Anyone actually call immigration?  I seriously doubt this will apply to E2's.  It would make no sense.  There'd be a $h!tload of hakwons complaining to the government about it.  Also, you need to take some time to get a job.  Then again this could be a backhanded xenophobic way of getting rid of us without having to openly admit anti foreignerness.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
Anyone actually call immigration?  I seriously doubt this will apply to E2's.  It would make no sense.  There'd be a $h!tload of hakwons complaining to the government about it.  Also, you need to take some time to get a job.  Then again this could be a backhanded xenophobic way of getting rid of us without having to openly admit anti foreignerness.

Wouldn't be the first [and last] time that Korea changed the rules without thinking of the consequences.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
This link already has different info about the D10 which applies to those applying for jobs from abroad.  http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/sg-en/brd/m_2444/view.do?seq=761423&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=&srchTp=&multi_itm_seq=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&page=2

Different terms than those that apply for it in Korea on an E2.  So, these clarifications or rules may not apply to us either, if we are already here. 

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »

I know it makes no sense, but there are at least two people adamant that they heard it directly from immigration. I suppose like most things, we will have to wait and see if events actually match rumours. It has always seemed this way in Korea. You can never be sure of anything until it has actually happened, so anyone planning ahead needs to have all possible outcomes covered.

This link already has different info about the D10 which applies to those applying for jobs from abroad.  http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/sg-en/brd/m_2444/view.do?seq=761423&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=&srchTp=&multi_itm_seq=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&page=2

Yeah but that link is dated August 23rd, which is  over a month before the new points system was announced on September 28th.
Catch my drift?

Online m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »

Different terms than those that apply for it in Korea on an E2.  So, these clarifications or rules may not apply to us either, if we are already here.

These terms have been true for years for people applying for a D10 from outside of/not having previously held a job in Korea. I've never heard of anyone actually using it though because most English-native countries have an easy tourist visa process or visa on arrival system so E2 candidates don't go through the hassle. If they want to job search they do so on a tourist visa/waiver and then fly to Japan for a visa run.