February 22, 2019, 11:52:54 AM

Author Topic: Baby It's Cold Outside  (Read 1306 times)

Online zola

• The Legend
Re: Baby It's Cold Outside
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
Favourite Christmas song? Good King Wenceslas  or God rest ye merry gentlemen

Don't have a worst. Baby it's cold outside would be somewhere near the bottom though.
What I do hate is the part in "Jingle Bell Rock", I think it's like a bridge or refrain, "what a bright time, it's the right time..." Get rid of it. The rest of the song is fine.

You don't think Good King Wenceslas is just reinforcing the patriarchal capitalistic systemic oppression of the working classes? Surely the image of the King in his palace looking out at the peasant collecting wood is not appropriate in this day and age
Quite possible. And Snoopy's Christmas is shilling for the Military Industrial Complex. But I'm a sucker for a good Christmas song.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
Favourite Christmas song? Good King Wenceslas  or God rest ye merry gentlemen

Don't have a worst. Baby it's cold outside would be somewhere near the bottom though.
What I do hate is the part in "Jingle Bell Rock", I think it's like a bridge or refrain, "what a bright time, it's the right time..." Get rid of it. The rest of the song is fine.

You don't think Good King Wenceslas is just reinforcing the patriarchal capitalistic systemic oppression of the working classes? Surely the image of the King in his palace looking out at the peasant collecting wood is not appropriate in this day and age
Quite possible. And Snoopy's Christmas is shilling for the Military Industrial Complex. But I'm a sucker for a good Christmas song.

'Bring me flesh and bring me wine' is also highly offensive to the vegan and muslim communities

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »
i take back what i said about not having any grudges. i was singing with some friends last weekend and someone put on "last christmas" by wham. that song goes on for wayyyyyy too long and repeats the same shit at the end wayyyyyyyy too many times. everyone was laughing/crying because no one knew when it was going to end, but we were too committed to skip it.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
Remember the good ol days when a thread title like this was about some Canadian poster bragging about how they were still in a tshirt while the locals were in winter clothing or some teacher from Australia or SA thinking school should be canceled and freaking out?
And here I thought you were strongly opposed to national stereotyping / painting large groups of people with the same brush. Have you finally given up tilting at windmills and turned to the dark (and humouros) side?  :wink:

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »
the part in "Jingle Bell Rock", I think it's like a bridge or refrain, "what a bright time, it's the right time..." Get rid of it. The rest of the song is fine.

Offline Titus Groan

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
   Well, IT IS friggin' cold outside...!   

-10C right now!!!

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
   Well, IT IS friggin' cold outside...!   

-10C right now!!!
Agreed. Though i aint your average Canadian, being from Vancouver Island. We play soccer in the rain (8 C) in January.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Remember the good ol days when a thread title like this was about some Canadian poster bragging about how they were still in a tshirt while the locals were in winter clothing or some teacher from Australia or SA thinking school should be canceled and freaking out?
And here I thought you were strongly opposed to national stereotyping / painting large groups of people with the same brush. Have you finally given up tilting at windmills and turned to the dark (and humouros) side?  :wink:
Canadians are people? I always thought they were anthropomorphic moose.

I kid, I kid. Touche Kyndo. Touche.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »
This is dumb.  The only folks I know are defending it are a handful of ESL teachers in Korea for some reason and some idiots on twitter.  Anyone else I know personally back home via their Facebook feeds in the US and Canada think this is dumb.  This spans people across the political aisle.  It's an old song.  It's about stealing a kiss and going on a date.  Social attitudes were different in the 1940's.  Folks rarely hooked up unlike today.  The PC police are idiots.   Most people are getting fed up with it and it's going to start showing up at the ballot box more and more.  It has in some ways.  Trump 2016 being one of those things.  Idiots screaming about being a white male, the patriarchy, and other made up garbage need a good slap up side the head.  Economy has been rough for years.  Just about everyone's had a hard time in recent years, though I suppose there is some class privledge where the folks with money can help their kids get ahead and give them a boost since living costs on big cities and job wages suck.  But white privledge and all this other made up crap in 2018 is idiotic and dumb.  Keep pushing and watch out for the backlash and the push back. 

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 11:09:13 AM »
This is the sort of ridiculous pettiness that tunes people out. It's almost like these people sit on the internet all day looking for something to be offended by that also reinforces their confirmation bias that they live in an oppressive patriarchy and therefore need everyone around them to conform to their needs.