March 21, 2019, 05:43:56 PM

Author Topic: Brands you didnít know were Korean  (Read 1295 times)

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Brands you didnít know were Korean
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
Sometime in the '80s I had a Goldstar oscillating fan.

Then in the mid-2000s I had an LG flip phone.  I knew that was Korean, but I didn't know until I came to Korea that the "G" from LG was essentially the G from Goldstar.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »
Sometime in the '80s I had a Goldstar oscillating fan.

Then in the mid-2000s I had an LG flip phone.  I knew that was Korean, but I didn't know until I came to Korea that the "G" from LG was essentially the G from Goldstar.

A lot of "Kmart grade" electronics was Goldstar. I had a tape player and a microwave.

Online T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 06:03:00 AM »
LG started as Lucky Goldstar. They dropped the Lucky and went with just Goldstar for a while and then transitioned to LG.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 06:46:20 AM »
LG started as Lucky Goldstar. They dropped the Lucky and went with just Goldstar for a while and then transitioned to LG.

The version I heard was that Lucky merged with Goldstar to form LG.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:02 AM »

I remember when I first came to Korea, people saying 7-11 was Japanese, and I'm like, wait a minute, since when... so had to look it up, and low-and-behold, discovered it was taken over by a Japanese company.
I was really surprised to learn this, just now.  I see on wiki that it's true, so I went to the corporate page, corp.7-eleven.com, and the closest thing to a mention of Japanese ownership is on the "leadership page": Ken Wakabayashi Senior Vice President of International and Strategic Planning.

I remember as a youth watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon (if you don't know what I'm talking about please don't say anything) and thinking that this "Southland Corp" must be really generous.  And I've never even heard of them!

Turns out, they were the corporate for 7-Eleven and it wasn't their money they were taking credit for, but the contributions of millions of people who dropped change into the Jerry's Kids cans next to the cash registers at their stores.

Reminds me a bit of how the Trump campaign took in a few million in donations for veterans groups at that rally when Trump decided not to attend a Republican debate.  It took months and months of reporting/hounding from WaPo before Trump's charity was practically forced to turn the money over, as promised.

Anyhow, Buy The Way is just about the best name for a convenience store I've ever seen.

Boy, did you just age yourself as did I with knowing what it was.   :cry:

Ever been to the Midwest?  There's a convenience store with the name "Kum & Go"  Most I've seen are situated in Iowa. 

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 07:51:27 AM »

I remember when I first came to Korea, people saying 7-11 was Japanese, and I'm like, wait a minute, since when... so had to look it up, and low-and-behold, discovered it was taken over by a Japanese company.
I was really surprised to learn this, just now.  I see on wiki that it's true, so I went to the corporate page, corp.7-eleven.com, and the closest thing to a mention of Japanese ownership is on the "leadership page": Ken Wakabayashi Senior Vice President of International and Strategic Planning.

I remember as a youth watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon (if you don't know what I'm talking about please don't say anything) and thinking that this "Southland Corp" must be really generous.  And I've never even heard of them!

Turns out, they were the corporate for 7-Eleven and it wasn't their money they were taking credit for, but the contributions of millions of people who dropped change into the Jerry's Kids cans next to the cash registers at their stores.

Reminds me a bit of how the Trump campaign took in a few million in donations for veterans groups at that rally when Trump decided not to attend a Republican debate.  It took months and months of reporting/hounding from WaPo before Trump's charity was practically forced to turn the money over, as promised.

Anyhow, Buy The Way is just about the best name for a convenience store I've ever seen.

Boy, did you just age yourself as did I with knowing what it was.   :cry:

Ever been to the Midwest?  There's a convenience store with the name "Kum & Go"  Most I've seen are situated in Iowa. 

That's not bad, although/because it lends itself rather easily to double entendre.

I used to live in Chicago, and the one I remember is White Hen Pantry.  Which I just read has been taken over by 7-Eleven ...

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 08:17:20 AM »
A little off topic, it shouldn't be surprising (but still kind of is), how many brands have been bought out by Chinese companies:

MG
Volvo
Motorola
GE
WEETABIX!
Hoover Vacuums
AMC Movie Theaters
Aston Villa
Inter Milan
AC Milan
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »

So, the predecessor company was founded by구인회 in 1931.  The 구  family is still the largest stakeholder.  락희 (lak-hui, aka Lucky) a chemical manufacturer came along in 1947, and were pioneers in plastics in Korea.  금성 (gold star), consumer electronics, joined the group in 1958.  As typical of 재벌, it had lots of diversification in the post-war period, and consolidated all their divisions under the LG header in 1995.

HTH

Online T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »

Sort of. Lucky was the original company focused on plastics. Goldstar was a second company that focused on electronics. Both had the same owners. They merged the companies into Lucky-Goldstar and in the 90ís for international marketing reasons rebranded to LG.

Domestically the Lucky of Lucky-Goldstar disappeared in the early to mid 90ís.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
On the topic of LG, when I first came here 8 years ago, I always considered them a lesser Samsung in terms of their build quality and products range. Now, I think they make some cracking stuff.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
Since we're on the topic of LG, more useless information. The GS group, the group that control the GS stores were once part of the LG group.

The two families that controlled LG, were the founding Koo family, and the Heo family. I think about 10 years ago, they decided to separate their business lines. The Heo family took control of the GS companies, which were mostly front line customer businesses like those GS stores, and the Koo's took kept control mostly of the industrial side, LG electronics, chem...etc...

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
Gs 25s were called LG 25s not all that long ago.  At least, I don't think it was that long ago, but I'm getting up there.  I'd be shocked if someone didn't know what the Jerry Lewis telethon was.