December 13, 2018, 01:13:27 AM

Author Topic: Would QTS open any immediate job opportunities?  (Read 736 times)

Online alanO

• Adventurer
Would QTS open any immediate job opportunities?
« on: December 06, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
I've been in Korea for a year but looking at the job market feels bad; so my question is: if I were to go back the UK and gain my PGCE with QTS (qualified teaching status), would this open any jobs to me immediately? Or would it be better to stay in Korea and say, work on my masters?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: Would QTS open any immediate job opportunities?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
Are you talking about jobs in the UK with QTS or in Korea?

Online alanO

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
Jobs in Korea once I have my QTS

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
Jobs in Korea once I have my QTS

Some universities will see it as equivalent to a Masters, especially if you have some experience gained after qualifying.

Online alanO

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »
I know it also counts as 60 credits towards a master so I could easily do one within 6 months or similar (for year in Education etc.)

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 05:42:43 AM »
QTS is a little bit useless, unless you go on to complete (and pass) your NQT year. Even then it is recommended that you have 2 years, post PGCE experience before applying for jobs abroad.

Offline Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 07:35:34 AM »
For someone with their heart set on Korea (which the op seems to be) then QTS would be of very little benefit.

Offline waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »
In Korea, highly unlikely. Most hagwons don't know and/or don't care what QTS is. Most public schools don't either, but it might bump you up a notch or two on the pay scale in public.

With 'International' schools in Korea, ie the ones that offer entry-level hagwon pay for teaching other subjects on an E-2 (highly risky these days), you might have a chance.

The same goes for publicly funded global schools where you get to teach subjects in English - you have a lot more security here as you'd be on a public school contract (E-2, ironic right?).

Legitimate international schools, particularly the ones that focus on UK curriculum could be willing to take a punt on you, and you'd be able to your NQT year with one or two of them. However, it depends on what subjects you'll actually be able to teach (the more STEM related, the higher your already minimal chances will be).

Best to put that PGCE/QTS to use and look to double (perhaps triple) your pay in either China or the Middle East.

Online alanO

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »
QTS is a little bit useless, unless you go on to complete (and pass) your NQT year. Even then it is recommended that you have 2 years, post PGCE experience before applying for jobs abroad.

The courses are a PGCE earning QTS status after the years finished.

For someone with their heart set on Korea (which the op seems to be) then QTS would be of very little benefit.

How so? Explain your point, please.

In Korea, highly unlikely. Most hagwons don't know and/or don't care what QTS is. Most public schools don't either, but it might bump you up a notch or two on the pay scale in public.

With 'International' schools in Korea, ie the ones that offer entry-level hagwon pay for teaching other subjects on an E-2 (highly risky these days), you might have a chance.

The same goes for publicly funded global schools where you get to teach subjects in English - you have a lot more security here as you'd be on a public school contract (E-2, ironic right?).

Legitimate international schools, particularly the ones that focus on UK curriculum could be willing to take a punt on you, and you'd be able to your NQT year with one or two of them. However, it depends on what subjects you'll actually be able to teach (the more STEM related, the higher your already minimal chances will be).

Best to put that PGCE/QTS to use and look to double (perhaps triple) your pay in either China or the Middle East.

It wouldn't matter if most places didn't know what QTS means, right? Surely I could apply to any "looking for a licensed teacher" and respond back explaining the QTS and what it means, would take 2 lines at most.

It's not really about getting the money for me though, the QTS would be about the quality of life/jobs in Korea while I'm here. At the moment my prospects are paying 10,000,000+won on a masters, and being stuck in a hagwon for the next 3+ years, or take a year out and get my QTS and looking more qualified for potential direct school hires.

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »
OP if you do a PGCE, that gives QTS in one year TOTAL, from start to finish, that us news to me.

Since i did my PGCE, Schools Direct ect have also been set up. The fact remains that any good to reasonable Int School would probably want a PGCE, with 2+ post years of teaching after.

Most good schools in korea are IB based. You may want to check out U if Melbourne distance IB course....

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »
At the moment my prospects are paying 10,000,000+won on a masters, and being stuck in a hagwon for the next 3+ years,

I assume you mean an online masters?

or take a year out and get my QTS and looking more qualified for potential direct school hires.

unless your parents are willing to pay your accom, tuition and expenses, a PGCE will cost you a lot more than an online MA.
Catch my drift?

Offline waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
You could explain what it means to them, but the majority won’t appreciate it or be interested enough. We’re talking about hagwons here, most (if not all) legit international schools will know what QTS means...but hagwons, forget about it.

If you do get in touch with the more serious hagwons and/or private schools, the next thing they’ll ask after you tell them what QTS means is “do you have experience teaching the N American curriculum”. Some do focus on the British curriculum, but they are few and far between.

Outside of accredited international schools that will hire you on an E-7 visa, your quality of life/teaching won’t be much different from most other public and private school teachers. Plus if you do anything other than English conversation on an E-2 (at your main/official school), you run the very real risk of getting in deep trouble with immigration. I know of someone who got caught up in last year’s fiasco even though they were on an E-2 teaching English at one of those private schools...that person got deported along with all the other teachers.

I’d still recommend you get your PGCE and QTS done at the very least. Even if it doesn’t come in handy in Korea, it’ll come in handy in the future.

Point being...being a licensed (foreign) teacher in Korea does not mean much in 95%+ of the market (my person guesstimation).

Online alanO

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 11:21:42 PM »
OP if you do a PGCE, that gives QTS in one year TOTAL, from start to finish, that us news to me.

Since i did my PGCE, Schools Direct ect have also been set up. The fact remains that any good to reasonable Int School would probably want a PGCE, with 2+ post years of teaching after.

Most good schools in korea are IB based. You may want to check out U if Melbourne distance IB course....

At the moment my prospects are paying 10,000,000+won on a masters, and being stuck in a hagwon for the next 3+ years,

I assume you mean an online masters?

or take a year out and get my QTS and looking more qualified for potential direct school hires.

unless your parents are willing to pay your accom, tuition and expenses, a PGCE will cost you a lot more than an online MA.

If I move back to the UK I receive financial support up to £37,000 due to there being a severe lack of teachers etc. £15,000 of that is in bursaries, so I won't have to rely on parents at all.

It was news to me but possible. Why I'm so tempted to do it suddenly. I understand the experience but I'm hoping at the very least I can find a half decent private school and just work there for 2 years, then move to a well reputable international school. I have a small amount of experience with IB, and one of my schools wants to swap to IB Diploma, but because all the information is in English I was asked to make a mini-report of it, so I understand the details of it too.

You could explain what it means to them, but the majority won’t appreciate it or be interested enough. We’re talking about hagwons here, most (if not all) legit international schools will know what QTS means...but hagwons, forget about it.

If you do get in touch with the more serious hagwons and/or private schools, the next thing they’ll ask after you tell them what QTS means is “do you have experience teaching the N American curriculum”. Some do focus on the British curriculum, but they are few and far between.

Outside of accredited international schools that will hire you on an E-7 visa, your quality of life/teaching won’t be much different from most other public and private school teachers. Plus if you do anything other than English conversation on an E-2 (at your main/official school), you run the very real risk of getting in deep trouble with immigration. I know of someone who got caught up in last year’s fiasco even though they were on an E-2 teaching English at one of those private schools...that person got deported along with all the other teachers.

I’d still recommend you get your PGCE and QTS done at the very least. Even if it doesn’t come in handy in Korea, it’ll come in handy in the future.

Point being...being a licensed (foreign) teacher in Korea does not mean much in 95%+ of the market (my person guesstimation).

Yeah, what I'm hoping for is I wouldn't end up back in a hagwon, not unless I have to to gain a little more experience. Getting the QTS would be so I can move to an international school or similar and then gain my experience. All the direct school offers I'm applying for I get the interview and always fall short because of my qualifications, they like me generally but I don't have that QTS status (or MA), both of which I could complete in a year and a half if I moved back to the UK for that period.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
If I move back to the UK I receive financial support up to £37,000 due to there being a severe lack of teachers etc.

That is only if you have lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course, and if the reason for living in the UK was not to simply qualify for the funding.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

You've been in Korea.

This is what I hate about the UK, they treat it as a crime to leave the country.

Child of a Turkish worker? A swiss national? From the EU? an economic migrant? Then you get funding.  A UK citizen who happens to have lived outside of the UK? Oh sorry you get nothing.

The way they treat their own citizens is appalling.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:07:00 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
If I move back to the UK I receive financial support up to £37,000 due to there being a severe lack of teachers etc.

That is only if you have lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course, and if the reason for living in the UK was not to simply qualify for the funding.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

You've been in Korea.

This is what I hate about the UK, they treat it as a crime to leave the country.

Child of a Turkish worker? A swiss national? From the EU? an economic migrant? Then you get funding.  A UK citizen who happens to have lived outside of the UK? Oh sorry you get nothing.

The way they treat their own citizens is appalling.

The guy wants to get QTS so he can leave the UK and work in an international school in Korea. Why should UK citizens pay for that?

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
The guy wants to get QTS so he can leave the UK and work in an international school in Korea. Why should UK citizens pay for that?

They don't know his intentions or those of anyone on the course.

The case at hand is simply that a UK citizen wants to get funding for a PGCE.

Why should the taxpayer pay for "a child of a turk", "an eu member", or an "economic migrant" ahead of a British person?

Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »

Why should the taxpayer pay for "a child of a turk", "an eu member", or an "economic migrant" ahead of a British person?

No they don't, that's why they have laws about being in the country, so they make it more likely the people getting the funding are going to use the skills they learned for free in the UK. Assuming you don't think the OP should be funded to get a job in a Korean international school, the law will work to good effect in this case. 

If I was a tax payer living in the UK, I'd want my money to go to people who were going to make a difference to the UK, as long as they were there legally, regardless of their background. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:58:33 PM by eggieguffer »

Online alanO

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »

No they don't, that's why they have laws about being in the country, so they make it more likely the people getting the funding are going to use the skills they learned for free in the UK. Assuming you don't think the OP should be funded to get a job in a Korean international school, the law will work to good effect in this case. 

If I was a tax payer living in the UK, I'd want my money to go to people who were going to make a difference to the UK, as long as they were there legally, regardless of their background.

I'm not getting a course for free, I pay back for the course its just I receive an initial student loan for 37k. I also pay back additional interest on top of all that so calm down a little lad.

I'm also a UK tax paying citizen, so the cycle of me using my own tax money to help myself doesn't sound so bad.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
I'm also a UK tax paying citizen,

How come, if you live in Korea?

Online alanO

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
I'm also a UK tax paying citizen,

How come, if you live in Korea?

Okay, previous tax paying citizen. Besides the point really, just dodging the whole thing.