December 13, 2018, 11:01:49 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Attitude towards foreign teachers  (Read 3907 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: Attitude towards foreign teachers
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
The whole being required "take a name other than your own" thing is ridiculous and should NEVER be practiced by a teacher, except on a voluntary/nickname/abbreviation/role-play basis. Address people by what their name is. That's basic human respect and decency and if you can't practice that, and think people should change their name to make life easier for you, you can piss off.

Has anyone actually done this in real life? I mean, since the abolition of slavery?

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
The whole being required "take a name other than your own" thing is ridiculous and should NEVER be practiced by a teacher, except on a voluntary/nickname/abbreviation/role-play basis. Address people by what their name is. That's basic human respect and decency and if you can't practice that, and think people should change their name to make life easier for you, you can piss off.

Has anyone actually done this in real life? I mean, since the abolition of slavery?

Ever?

Uhhh yeah. Hence my offensive joke of taking Japanese names.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »

You mean teachers making their students take different language names, in particular English teachers making Korean students have an English name? Yes.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »

You mean teachers making their students take different language names, in particular English teachers making Korean students have an English name? Yes.

Ah right, I've never come across it.

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
I have 1 student who absolutely hates Japan. Whenever one of the students that likes Japan / Japanese things / learning Japanese mentions Japan, he always goes on a big rant about how bad Japan is.
Though, the students who like Japan and stuff, would probably love having a Japanese name haha.
Which is why, I thought, getting the students to pick a Japanese name, might not -always- be a bad thing; but still being a bad thing like 99.9999999999999999% of the time. :p
That's about as good of an idea of having a teacher deal with rambunctious Lebanese students by having them choose names of famous Israelis or having rambunctious Irish students take the names of various administrators from Britain's colonial past. If you want to take it up a notch, you could have all your rambunctious American inner city kids take Confederate/"hillbilly" names.

What are confederate/hillbilly names, lol? Do you mean names like "Big Joe" or "Billy Bob?" Pretty much nobody has those names in the last 40 years or more. I was born and raised in the South and never saw anyone with that crap. Now you will just say you included "confederate", but we all know what you meant.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 02:30:03 PM »

They do it at the hakwon level.  But usually it's the parents that make up the "English" name for the kid.  Even if it's spelled A-L-I-C-E, they insist on you pronouncing it Ellis  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  Same is Ruben (Lubin some will even spell it Lubin ><) Ryan (Lion) and Leo (Lay Oh)  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:FFS

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 02:34:26 PM »
^ yep

usually the parents, from my experience. and yep, they always insist on pronouncing (or spelling) the names incorrectly. piggydee's right

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
Don't forget Larry!!!!!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »
Don't forget Larry!!!!!

I'll never forget 'Lightning' Larry Pinciato. He was a legend in snail racing!

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »

I remember when a guy during one of those teacher's meetings we used to have at SMOE stood up and told us his solution.  He didn't assign names to students, he assigned them to  seats.  The students could move around--or have group assignments from their HR teacher--but if the kid was sitting in this seat, he was Eric.  In that seat, Mindy. Etc.

It got a good laugh, but he was serious.  So was the guy who told us he maintained discipline with a water gun.  Sometimes I wonder that we're still allowed in classrooms here.

Anyway, I use nametags with two sides that sit on the desk.  Kids write their name in hangeul on one side, and their English name on the other side, if they have one. But I do make them use an English name for camp.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »

So it seems the answer is 'no'- at least so far. No anecdotes of Western teachers forcing Western names on Asian kids.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:06:49 PM by eggieguffer »

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2018, 01:22:16 AM »
The Englishee names were already chosen for my students before I ever saw them.

I don't know if the parents chose them or the kids themselves, sometimes it was the Korean teachers who

did this.     One name I recall was "Jaeper" -  :huh:  What is that supposed to be anyway?  "zipper, jeeper?

Don't blame the waygook teachers, it wasn't our idea.

Offline biancaapato

• Waygookin
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »

So it seems the answer is 'no'- at least so far. No anecdotes of Western teachers forcing Western names on Asian kids.

When I was in high school and learning French, our teacher had us pick French names. Same with the students who were in Spanish class. No one complained and thought it was fun to choose a "new" name. Every time I have a new class of students, I make them create a name tag. They put a nickname (English or Korean) on one side, and their full name in Hangul on the other. They face whichever name they want me to call them during class.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »
Don't forget Larry!!!!!
... and his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:59 AM »

When I was in high school and learning French, our teacher had us pick French names. Same with the students who were in Spanish class. No one complained and thought it was fun to choose a "new" name. Every time I have a new class of students, I make them create a name tag. They put a nickname (English or Korean) on one side, and their full name in Hangul on the other. They face whichever name they want me to call them during class.

Eventually you want to get rid of those name tags, though, so you can call their name from across the class. Or do you keep them for the whole term?

Offline biancaapato

• Waygookin
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »

Eventually you want to get rid of those name tags, though, so you can call their name from across the class. Or do you keep them for the whole term?

I keep them for the whole term because I also use them for a rewards system (adding stickers; if you get enough, you get candy). I also have 600 students, switch schools, and don't teach the same students every semester, so yes, it does help.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
Don't forget Larry!!!!!
You mean Rice-Boy Larry :laugh:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »

I have. There's no intended malice behind it- new teacher comes up with English names for discipline and as a fun activity, etc.

But there's something behind it that's fundamentally disrespectful and unequal. Sorry, but the people of the world shouldn't have to change their names to make things easier and we shouldn't dub them with an English name simply to make things easier for us.

Learn how to say someone's damn name and remember it, whatever the language. That being said, nicknames among friends generate spontaneously and bring people together, so nothing against them.

There's a difference between French class and what is happening here. I don't want to go all SJW, but there is a power dynamic that isn't present in the French class. What if the Chinese become the dominant power and suddenly everyone has Chinese classes and you need to have a Chinese name to make things easier for Chinese people. I don't know about you, but my response would be "They can take their Chinese name and shove it up their ass. Address me by my ****** name or **** off. Basic human respect."

I didn't care about this issue until one of my friends pretty much said that. I had to agree. It can be pretty gd disrespectful (note CAN).

Do you notice how sone NETs will often use Korean names when speaking derisvely about their students but use their English names when speaking positively?

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 12:06:33 PM »
The Englishee names were already chosen for my students before I ever saw them.

I don't know if the parents chose them or the kids themselves, sometimes it was the Korean teachers who

did this.     One name I recall was "Jaeper" -  :huh:  What is that supposed to be anyway?  "zipper, jeeper?

Don't blame the waygook teachers, it wasn't our idea.

I think the parents were trying to go for Jasper.  Yeah like the time I had some hakwon kids who wanted to name themselves "Really?" (because of some Olleh commercial that was popular a couple years back) but spelled it Lilly.  When I called them Lilly they would correct me like I was the f'd one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's why I don't mess with naming my students.  Korean names only!  Plus if you think name headaches are a thing here in Korea.  What until you see what American teachers have to deal with this generation of kids.

Aiden
Ayden
Rayden
Hayden
Brayden
Bridon
Layla
Laila
Kayla
Kaila
Mayla
Sayla
Haylee
Hailey
Caydence
Jaydence

:rolleyes: 

And let's not forget this gem  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  Not saying what that ticket agent did was right but geeze mom you didn't really think this one through did you??
http://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2018/11/29/little-girl-named-abcde-was-mocked-by-southwest-gate-agent-airline-has-apologized/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.436b73146e94
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:08:09 PM by Piggydee »