March 22, 2019, 01:29:27 AM

Author Topic: Attitude towards foreign teachers  (Read 6415 times)

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Attitude towards foreign teachers
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »
aye, but only because it's not culturally acceptable to

most korean i have met hate being bumped (it's commonly the number 1 pet hate, when i do a pet hates lesson with adults)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
Also, your co-T is (usually) paid extra to kinda help you with that kinda stuff; However, knowing that, usually I get my co-T a small gift as thanks near the end / start of the year, for all the help she gives me. And I help her when she asks me for help too (which has been pretty rare).

co-teachers aren't paid extra but it's their assigned duty. virtually every teacher in the school will have one, including the homeroom teachers. some might do the orchestra, or organize the teachers' events (school dinner etc.), or whatever.

so your co-teacher is obligated to help you with your washing machine, going to the bank, and whatever.

editing tests would be within your ambit as an NET, so would doing any school-related english stuff. as someone else said, organizing english classes for teachers is a requirement and you must do it if you're asked, but it would count as part of your teaching hours so if you're already at the full 22 you would get paid overtime for it.

if other teachers are asking you to edit their daughter's MA thesis or something, that's not a requirement of your job at all. it's discretionary whether or not you do it. i always used to refuse unless i knew that the teacher asking could do something for me in the future or had a lot of clout in the school, because if you agree to things that like you will quickly found yourself being taken advantage of.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
aye, but only because it's not culturally acceptable to

most korean i have met hate being bumped (it's commonly the number 1 pet hate, when i do a pet hates lesson with adults)
Yes, part of that same culture that allows bumping, also prevents people from turning around and decking someone for smudging their shoe. They go hand in hand. That same culture that lets people get away with running red lights, also takes a zero-tolerance attitude towards things like street gangs robbing people and liquor stores getting knocked over. I'm not sure how it all works, but you have to look at things as a whole. In some ways it leads to negative behaviors, in other ways it promotes positive ones.

That same "My space, don't bump me or I'll knock your fookin head off" attitude might be why people in the UK have to watch soccer games with lines of cops in between each row and players getting bananas tossed at them by fans (something Korean fans won't even do). I can go to a Doosan-LG game with no rows of cops, no bananas, no fights among fans, no bomb threats, no worrying about going to the wrong bar before or after or getting attacked in some alley.

Consider everything as a whole, not just focus on one thing that pissed you off today that doesn't happen much back home and realize that you're making trade-offs in one area for benefits in another and you have to decide if those trade-offs work for you.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2018, 03:22:47 PM »
yeah, but football hooligans are different than the general population. no normal person is going to punch you for bumping into them. or not holding the door open. the worst that would happen is someone tutting or saying something under their breath, and only if you don't say sorry (which 99% of people do anyway)

anyway i'm not sure why you're talking about bomb threats or throwing bananas in racial hatred. i was specifically talking about people bumping into you without apologising, and how much people seem to hate it here

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »
anyway i'm not sure why you're talking about bomb threats or throwing bananas in racial hatred. i was specifically talking about people bumping into you without apologising, and how much people seem to hate it here
Yes, people bump you without apologizing here. You also don't have derelicts accosting you for money, subway cars that smell like piss, and people on smack or crack on the subway either. You don't get gangs of kids fighting each other also and no matter what stop I get off at, I don't have to worry about getting jacked as I walk out or decide to use the ATM.

The point is that you have to take everything into consideration. I don't like getting bumped here. But I also like that if I accidentally smudge someone's shoe, they aren't going to freak out about it and try and start a fight. As I said, Koreans need to bump less, foreigners need to chill out about getting bumped.

Like seriously, if Korean bumping is the worst public transportation experience you have, you've got it good.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »
but you could say something like that about anything

"i don't like getting bumped"
"but subway doesn't smell like piss"

"at least you aren't from a third world country without drinkable water"

"yes, but you don't have brain cancer, so stop complaining"

saying "most koreans i have met hate being bumped" was literally the only point i was making. it's akin to when people say "if you don't like it here, go home" when mentioning you don't like kimchi. you're allowed to have grievances about specific things while still appreciating everything else

Offline eastcoast

• Adventurer
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
Get a job in a university. Then students just bow to you and pretty much do what you tell them to. You're even more powerful if you have credentials to flaunt.

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
I've used the Korean subway a handful of times - yet to be bumped.

Driving, on the other hand. HOLY SH!T! Waddup with Koreans purposely speeding up and honking/flashing their lights at you to avoid giving you a gap in traffic. I find it absolutely insane, and it makes changing lanes pretty damn dangerous. Is common courtesy not a thing here?

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
I've used the Korean subway a handful of times - yet to be bumped.

Driving, on the other hand. HOLY SH!T! Waddup with Koreans purposely speeding up and honking/flashing their lights at you to avoid giving you a gap in traffic. I find it absolutely insane, and it makes changing lanes pretty damn dangerous. Is common courtesy not a thing here?

No

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2018, 10:43:20 PM »
Yes, people bump you without apologizing here. You also don't have derelicts accosting you for money, subway cars that smell like piss, and people on smack or crack on the subway either. You don't get gangs of kids fighting each other also and no matter what stop I get off at, I don't have to worry about getting jacked as I walk out or decide to use the ATM.

The point is that you have to take everything into consideration. I don't like getting bumped here. But I also like that if I accidentally smudge someone's shoe, they aren't going to freak out about it and try and start a fight. As I said, Koreans need to bump less, foreigners need to chill out about getting bumped.

Like seriously, if Korean bumping is the worst public transportation experience you have, you've got it good.

A old woman was pushing her elbow in my back last week until I wheeled round and knocked her arm away. After that she backed off and walked in a different lane.

She wouldn't have tried that with another korean. But when its a foreigner then they think anything is ok.
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
She wouldn't have tried that with another korean. But when its a foreigner then they think anything is ok.
Dude, can you ever not generalize?

Also, plenty of Koreans nudge other Koreans. Not everything is because you're effing foreign.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
The ajummas definitely don't discriminate with their thrown elbows as they swim their way to the back of a crowded bus  :laugh:. Not in my area, anyway.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
The ajummas definitely don't discriminate with their thrown elbows as they swim their way to the back of a crowded bus  :laugh:. Not in my area, anyway.

If I ever needed a bodyguard, I'd hire an old Korean lady, and tell her, anyone who gets close to me, is trying to take your seat on the subway!
When I used to live near Busan, the old Korean ladies were vicious while trying to get onto the subway. They'd elbow / push ANYONE out of the way, to get on quick and get their seat. haha

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »

If I ever needed a bodyguard, I'd hire an old Korean lady, and tell her, anyone who gets close to me, is trying to take your seat on the subway!
When I used to live near Busan, the old Korean ladies were vicious while trying to get onto the subway. They'd elbow / push ANYONE out of the way, to get on quick and get their seat. haha

You know what that is? That's back/leg pain. When you get that kind of pain, eff everyone else. Especially young people.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »

You know what that is? That's back/leg pain. When you get that kind of pain, eff everyone else. Especially young people.

Yeah, I can understand that.
I'd always step to the side and let the elderly on first, but I'd still get elbowed and stuff quite hard at times haha

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »

I've had some lower back pain recently, too. Does that mean I can start being a kant to everyone, too?

Offline eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »

I've had some lower back pain recently, too. Does that mean I can start being a kant to everyone, too?

Yes, It's not fair that non old people who don't look the part can't claim the priority seats. You might not be on crutches or have a leg in plaster but you could still have a handicap that made it very difficult to stand. Perhaps you should be able to get a badge from your doctor like pregnant women.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2018, 12:07:15 PM »
I'm talking about back and joint PAIN, as in chronic and severe. Not just soreness. For people who have it, they can get pretty testy about making sure to get a seat. I'm not saying they couldn't show a bit more grace, just that people who have that have some serious motivation.

When we reach our 50s and have that kind of pain, we might get a little ornery too, just sayin. Again, not saying they couldn't be a little more tactful, just that I'm not about to get THAT upset at a 50 year old lady being really concerned about getting a seat.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
I'm talking about back and joint PAIN, as in chronic and severe. Not just soreness. For people who have it, they can get pretty testy about making sure to get a seat. I'm not saying they couldn't show a bit more grace, just that people who have that have some serious motivation.

When we reach our 50s and have that kind of pain, we might get a little ornery too, just sayin. Again, not saying they couldn't be a little more tactful, just that I'm not about to get THAT upset at a 50 year old lady being really concerned about getting a seat.

Pain sucks, but most of us have experienced our fair share. Sore back? Crappy knees? Perennial queasiness? None of it really necessitates obnoxious behaviour.
    Not that bus seats are a big deal, but people using crappy excuses to justify poor manners is something I find pretty irritating.  >:(

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
Joint pain is awful. My right knee is held together by a surgical steel bolt & wishful thinking, so I'm definitely tempted to start dropping elbows to get to that prime bus real estate. However, I wasn't issued the Do Whatever You Want With No Consequences Card the elderly here get, so I have to keep my elbows to myself. I do get to play The Foreigner Card often enough, though, so it's not a complete wash.  :laugh: