December 12, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author Topic: Good news - Teaching in Taiwan - no age limit  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
Re: Good news - Teaching in Taiwan - no age limit
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Congratulations! Still working at 66, you are inspiring.

Yes, I loved China but you know what with the president and his men clamping down on anything that moves there, I am a little relieved to be in free Taiwan. It is really a sad time for Chinese people and they don't even realise it. One day they are going to wake up and its going to be another North Korea with a dictator telling them what they can eat for breakfast. So tragic.

I heard Chinese people now are locked into a social points system whereby everything they do is monitored and results in their "social score". Which basically determines what jobs they can get etc. Is that true?

Yes, it will be fully implemented in 2020. It's already in place in the major cities. It will determine what credit you can get, where you can work, whether you are allowed to travel outside your city and abroad.

You get points based on what you spend your money on, where you go, who you associate with, who you date or marry etc. If you marry someone below your social standing, you get points deducted. Insane.

Things are already tight, restrictions on travel are hectic, especially if you want to go abroad or even to Hong Kong, you have to apply for a visa to leave China and if you are not from one of the big 8 cities they designated, forget it.

If you are from a small village and you attended a not so famous college, you cannot work in a big city. The list goes on and on.

Since Pooh Bear, his nickname, declared himself president for life, things have got worse and worse. As I said in my original post, it is an amazingly sad and tragic time for the Chinese population. They are just wonderful and don't deserve the government they have.

I am truly gutted at what is happening there and it is only going to get worse.

Is there a name for this system? I'd love to read about it. If there is any info on the net about it (that we can access outside of China)
It sucks the Chinese people have to go through with this.
Actually, my female Chinese friend, asked me to marry her to help her get out of china haha.
She was actually being serious too. :o

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Congratulations! Still working at 66, you are inspiring.

Yes, I loved China but you know what with the president and his men clamping down on anything that moves there, I am a little relieved to be in free Taiwan. It is really a sad time for Chinese people and they don't even realise it. One day they are going to wake up and its going to be another North Korea with a dictator telling them what they can eat for breakfast. So tragic.

I heard Chinese people now are locked into a social points system whereby everything they do is monitored and results in their "social score". Which basically determines what jobs they can get etc. Is that true?

Yes, it will be fully implemented in 2020. It's already in place in the major cities. It will determine what credit you can get, where you can work, whether you are allowed to travel outside your city and abroad.

You get points based on what you spend your money on, where you go, who you associate with, who you date or marry etc. If you marry someone below your social standing, you get points deducted. Insane.

Things are already tight, restrictions on travel are hectic, especially if you want to go abroad or even to Hong Kong, you have to apply for a visa to leave China and if you are not from one of the big 8 cities they designated, forget it.

If you are from a small village and you attended a not so famous college, you cannot work in a big city. The list goes on and on.

Since Pooh Bear, his nickname, declared himself president for life, things have got worse and worse. As I said in my original post, it is an amazingly sad and tragic time for the Chinese population. They are just wonderful and don't deserve the government they have.

I am truly gutted at what is happening there and it is only going to get worse.

Is there a name for this system? I'd love to read about it. If there is any info on the net about it (that we can access outside of China)
It sucks the Chinese people have to go through with this.
Actually, my female Chinese friend, asked me to marry her to help her get out of china haha.
She was actually being serious too. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqqZEf4LJuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Gr-HLM7Qk

Just check in YouTube there are many more, I haven't watched these so not sure how good they are.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
We're approaching that system in the U.S. in a defacto sense if social media virtue signalling is any indication. At least China has the decency to codify it and not be hypocrites. Not to mention all the affirmative action points.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
We're approaching that system in the U.S. in a defacto sense if social media virtue signalling is any indication. At least China has the decency to codify it and not be hypocrites. Not to mention all the affirmative action points.

LOL WHAT... for someone who likes to play the "reasonable" character so often this is quite a     s t r e t c h.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »

LOL WHAT... for someone who likes to play the "reasonable" character so often this is quite a     s t r e t c h.
Well in the US its mostly confined to the media and academia. Virtue signal and make a name and get a new gig. Then we factor in things that count for or against you in terms of "privilige" and victmized status...

"She's a bisexual transgender latina vegan who helped lead a twitter mob that got some white guy booted from his job. She says she shops only at SJW/eco approved stores and has NO Republican friends because she doesn't ket hate into her life. Let's hire her."

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »

Well in the US its mostly confined to the media and academia. Virtue signal and make a name and get a new gig. Then we factor in things that count for or against you in terms of "privilige" and victmized status...

"She's a bisexual transgender latina vegan who helped lead a twitter mob that got some white guy booted from his job. She says she shops only at SJW/eco approved stores and has NO Republican friends because she doesn't ket hate into her life. Let's hire her."

which is the same as the government giving you a score which can determine major life decisions for you... riiiiiiiiiight. you've really gone off the rails with this one man

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »

This is NOTHING compared to what is happening in China, not even remotely close.

When was the  last time someone hammered on your door at 11 pm to ask you to prove where you ate dinner that night? 

Guaranteed that ain't going to happen in the US or any civilised country.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:18:02 PM by confusedsafferinkorea »

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
Is there a name for this system?

The "Social credit System".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

I'd love to read about it. If there is any info on the net about it (that we can access outside of China)

The odd reality of life under China's all-seeing credit score system
Wired June 2018
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit

China has started ranking citizens with a creepy 'social credit' system here's what you can do wrong, and the embarrassing, demeaning ways they can punish you
Business Insider Oct 2018
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-punishments-and-rewards-explained-2018-4

The guy standing up to it, Mr Hu (11.39) is a hero.

Of course North Korea has had this type of system for decades already.

It will happen and it is on the way. Because the price of freedom is vigilance and most Americans simply ridicule anyone who points out what is happening.
Catch my drift?

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
Quote from: confusedsafferinkorea on Today at 01:15:24 PM

It will happen and it is on the way. Because the price of freedom is vigilance and most Americans simply ridicule anyone who points out what is happening.

Luckily we aren't all Americans.   :laugh:

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »

This is NOTHING compared to what is happening in China, not even remotely close.

When was the  last time someone hammered on your door at 11 pm to ask you to prove where you ate dinner that night? 

Keeping in mind that Martin is a white nationalist conservative who would have no problem with the police oppressing black people.

But no let's cry about academia being insufficiently worshipful towards violent, spiteful conservatism.

How did we get on this tangent in a topic about Taiwan? Thanks Steelrails.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2018, 12:02:03 AM »
I worked in Taiwan affiliated with Dewey before. That was during my second year in Taiwan.
I really enjoyed my life there although the school I worked at did not give me a chance to
teach there for a second year.
If I could return to Taiwan to work as a EFL teacher I would. But I am in Canada now,
so I am better off as a teacher here in Canada. I have not been to Taiwan in 6 years
and I want to visit there again if I can have the time and money.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
which is the same as the government giving you a score which can determine major life decisions for you... riiiiiiiiiight. you've really gone off the rails with this one man
Not saying it's the same, but we aren't as far off as we should be either. Take the Sarah Jeong case. Some people saw her twitter comments about white men as a reason TO hire her. What kind of message does that send? Publicly bash white people on social media and incite division and you can get a promotion! (And yes, there's right-wing versions of this as well).

Is this the same as China's system? No. But combine that with the "check any victim status boxes that may apply" approach, and you are getting what amounts to a de facto (not de jure) social points system.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »
Not saying it's the same, but we aren't as far off as we should be either. Take the Sarah Jeong case. Some people saw her twitter comments about white men as a reason TO hire her. What kind of message does that send? Publicly bash white people on social media and incite division and you can get a promotion! (And yes, there's right-wing versions of this as well).

Is this the same as China's system? No. But combine that with the "check any victim status boxes that may apply" approach, and you are getting what amounts to a de facto (not de jure) social points system.

except... you aren't getting something that amounts to that at all. the fact that there's a left and right-wing version of this "de facto social points system" immediately disproves the assertion that this is like the chinese social points system. what we have in the US is fundamentally different. it's much less deep and it's much less troubling.

are these trends in the US problematic? sure. do i think people should be hired based on these things? no. do i also think the proposed chinese system is kind of nuts? yup. is one a de facto version of the other? absolutely not.