December 12, 2018, 01:31:48 PM

Author Topic: Measuring loneliness: seeking asylum in Korea  (Read 1127 times)

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
Re: Measuring loneliness: seeking asylum in Korea
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
does anyone else feel like listening to the cure after seeing that pic?

I was thinking more OMD.

This guy says he'll be hunted down in Albania as a male yet the article mentions his parents send me him money occasionally.  I presume one of those parents is a male and in Albania.  And even his parents want him to leave a country where he is safe.  Kind of contradicts his claim.  He's probably into K-pop scene and wants to live here and work an easy part-time job when it suits him, but expects the country to provide not only refuge but friends.  Perhaps, he should consider not living in Hongdae or Gangnam if he needs a bigger abode.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 02:22:31 PM »
Perhaps, he should consider not living in Hongdae or Gangnam if he needs a bigger abode.
But then he would have a longer commute to his twice weekly Korean lessons!  :cry:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
There's something not right with this article.

I have a feeling that the actual facts are being twisted pretty heavily. I'm just not sure which way. So many things in this don't make sense.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
It reminds me of this show in the UK where they pretend to be sympathetic to people's terrible plight while all the while having subtle digs at them. E.g. Narrator: Gary has to make his appointment at the Dole office, at 11am, though there's still time to stop by the off licence for 20 fags and a bottle of cider on the way.'

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »
factory work isn't good enough for him, construction no good.   i don't know. 

.. and then he slags off the pastor who tried to help him.  :rolleyes:

Catch my drift?

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 04:11:14 PM »
It reminds me of this show in the UK where they pretend to be sympathetic to people's terrible plight while all the while having subtle digs at them. E.g. Narrator: Gary has to make his appointment at the Dole office, at 11am, though there's still time to stop by the off licence for 20 fags and a bottle of cider on the way.'

Nobody mentions of course the hideous English class system and that how far you get in life depends massively on the gps coordinates of where you were born and raised.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »

Nobody mentions of course the hideous English class system and that how far you get in life depends massively on the gps coordinates of where you were born and raised.

I think it depends more on how you are raised rather than where you are raised. E.g. having an absent father or a series of stepfathers, growing up in a filthy house with no books, being plonked in front of the TV all day, thus starting school a year behind middle class kids, having to forage food from the fridge when you need it, instead of set family meals. Learning to swear as soon as you can talk.  None of that's going to get you very far in life.

Online tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
factory work isn't good enough for him, construction no good.   i don't know. 

.. and then he slags off the pastor who tried to help him.  :rolleyes:

yeah, exactly.  maybe the writer of the article was really just showing how ridiculous this guy's thinking is. 

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »

I think it depends more on how you are raised rather than where you are raised. E.g. having an absent father or a series of stepfathers, growing up in a filthy house with no books, being plonked in front of the TV all day, thus starting school a year behind middle class kids, having to forage food from the fridge when you need it, instead of set family meals. Learning to swear as soon as you can talk.  None of that's going to get you very far in life.

Whatever it is, I'm hooked on this Britain on Benefits show.  Fascinating stuff.  Reminds me of the kind of Brits I knew from working in the Thailand time share industry a ways back. 

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »

Whatever it is, I'm hooked on this Britain on Benefits show.  Fascinating stuff.  Reminds me of the kind of Brits I knew from working in the Thailand time share industry a ways back.

Yes I love the way there's always a close up of a hand holding a cigarette at some stage, or a massive flat screen TV.