January 21, 2019, 10:34:59 PM

Author Topic: Apop or Kpop 2018  (Read 1395 times)

Offline CaitV

• Explorer
Apop or Kpop 2018
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
Here's an Apop or Kpop game I made for if you need something fun to fill the time ^^ Ppt and music video clips included in the link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14jqikvRGQGdnXWYWn9M2nwbAKoHFZYtH

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
Re: Apop or Kpop 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »
This is great and I'm definitely going to use it soon! I may tweak it a little by adding a home slide where students get to choose a question number or have male/female categories for the students to choose from.

Just a heads up - I had to add .ppt to the file name and save as 'all file formats' to download the ppt for use on my computer.

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »
Just wondering - What does A-Pop mean? I would have thought it means "Asian pop".

Offline annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
Just wondering - What does A-Pop mean? I would have thought it means "Asian pop".

American Pop.

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »

American Pop.

Na I don't think so. I think it's probably 'Anywhere but Korea Pop'
If 'American Pop', why would Queen, Adele and Sia be in there?

Offline CaitV

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
I didn't invent the game, I just made a version with the same name and some more current songs that students would know haha
(I know Queen isn't new but they know them and they are back in the spotlight thanks to the movie Bohemian Rhapsody)
Anyways, let's just say Apop means "All English Pop"

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »
I didn't invent the game, I just made a version with the same name and some more current songs that students would know haha
(I know Queen isn't new but they know them and they are back in the spotlight thanks to the movie Bohemian Rhapsody)
Anyways, let's just say Apop means "All English Pop"

Yeah, that totally works  8)

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:02:49 AM »

American Pop.

I had a look at 'A-Pop or K-Pop 2017' and it has Dua Lipa, Carly Rae Jepsen, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber and Sam Smith representing 'A-Pop'. I would hate to think that there are teachers in Korea claiming all Western music as American and propagating the waygookin = migook saram misconception  :shocked:

Offline exodiatheforbiddenone

• Waygookin
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »

American Pop.

I had a look at 'A-Pop or K-Pop 2017' and it has Dua Lipa, Carly Rae Jepsen, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber and Sam Smith representing 'A-Pop'. I would hate to think that there are teachers in Korea claiming all Western music as American and propagating the waygookin = migook saram misconception  :shocked:

You're more than welcome to make your own :)

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »

American Pop.

You're more than welcome to make your own :)
If that's the most mature contribution you can make to the issue I raised, I suggest you take your trolling elsewhere.

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 01:46:48 PM »
This is great and I'm definitely going to use it soon! I may tweak it a little by adding a home slide where students get to choose a question number or have male/female categories for the students to choose from.

Just a heads up - I had to add .ppt to the file name and save as 'all file formats' to download the ppt for use on my computer.
Hi, can I ask how you saved it with "all file formats"? I'm not very good with computers, sorry.

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »

Hi, can I ask how you saved it with "all file formats"? I'm not very good with computers, sorry.

Sure. Near the bottom of the 'Save As' window, there is a prompt: 'Save as type:' which by default is set to 'SHOW File (.show)'. If you change this to 'All Files' and add .ppt to the file name, it will be saved as a regular ppt :D

Offline CaitV

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
Sorry guys! Saving the document in .show was an oversight on my part, I forget that not everyone in this country has the misfortune of having to use Han program instead of Office :P  I've re-saved it in .pptx format and included the link again here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K3g2ow4w86SO2j0jsJjLVatNUMxTJ7OP

To re-iterate: I used the name A-pop or K-pop because that is what past versions of the game have been called, I think A sounds good because it rhymes with K, and Apop is a concept that my students understand. I say it means "All English pop, or American pop" even though not all the artists are from America. Likewise, some of the members of Kpop groups are not Korean, but we still call it Kpop.
I myself am not American, so I can appreciate not wanting the all waygookin=migook saram misconception, however I don't really take any offense at Apop being called American pop. This "What is Apop?" argument seems to come up EVERY time someone posts an Apop or Kpop game, and I am honestly a little surprised this issue hasn't yet been put to bed. Please feel free to make your own definition of what Apop is, or change the name to suit you :)

Making an Apop or Kpop game is actually a lot of time-consuming, tedious work. Finding the lyrics, choosing songs students know and like, as well as parts you think students will recognize, downloading the videos and clipping them took me a few days. I have always been super appreciative of site users in the past who have uploaded their hard-work on games like these, so that others can use it in their classes. I hope other users can make use of this game, either in it's original format, or by changing it to suit their needs. And thank you in particular to user exodiatheforbiddenone for appreciating just how much work went into the creation of this game.

Offline ak1700

• Waygookin
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »
Thank you so much!!!

Offline chon saram

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
Sorry if I came across as unappreciative CaitV. I truly do appreciate the hard work that you and others put into the materials that you post and a big thank you to everyone on this site who does their bit to help others and support the English teaching community here - whether they be foreigners or Koreans.
I still think it's not a great idea to call all western music American Pop though so I changed my ppt (I'm merging the better known songs from 2018 and 2017) to 'K-Pop or not?'. Definitely not as catchy as 'A-Pop or K-Pop?'  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:14:33 AM by chon saram »

Offline dragonslayerlady

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
My school network blocks downloads from Google Drive.
Is there anyone here who would be able to save it in Dropbox and share the link here?

Offline annataleen

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »
Sorry guys! Saving the document in .show was an oversight on my part, I forget that not everyone in this country has the misfortune of having to use Han program instead of Office :P  I've re-saved it in .pptx format and included the link again here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K3g2ow4w86SO2j0jsJjLVatNUMxTJ7OP

To re-iterate: I used the name A-pop or K-pop because that is what past versions of the game have been called, I think A sounds good because it rhymes with K, and Apop is a concept that my students understand. I say it means "All English pop, or American pop" even though not all the artists are from America. Likewise, some of the members of Kpop groups are not Korean, but we still call it Kpop.
I myself am not American, so I can appreciate not wanting the all waygookin=migook saram misconception, however I don't really take any offense at Apop being called American pop. This "What is Apop?" argument seems to come up EVERY time someone posts an Apop or Kpop game, and I am honestly a little surprised this issue hasn't yet been put to bed. Please feel free to make your own definition of what Apop is, or change the name to suit you :)

Making an Apop or Kpop game is actually a lot of time-consuming, tedious work. Finding the lyrics, choosing songs students know and like, as well as parts you think students will recognize, downloading the videos and clipping them took me a few days. I have always been super appreciative of site users in the past who have uploaded their hard-work on games like these, so that others can use it in their classes. I hope other users can make use of this game, either in it's original format, or by changing it to suit their needs. And thank you in particular to user exodiatheforbiddenone for appreciating just how much work went into the creation of this game.
That is what I thought because I know you have made other games before and called it Apop, but really it was English pop because you include songs from artists from different countries.  :P
I agree, Apop sounds like something like the students would understand!

Offline AnnyeongAnnie

• Waygookin
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
This game is going to be great for my high school students once we finish exams next week and Christmas lessons the weeks after. They're always asking for more "Apop," (yes, my students call it Apop, knowing full well that people like Ed Sheeran and 5SOS (who I did not expect them to love) are not from America) but I don't know very much of the music that is popular in America. This is a huge help. Very well done!

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
This game is going to be great for my high school students once we finish exams next week and Christmas lessons the weeks after. They're always asking for more "Apop," (yes, my students call it Apop, knowing full well that people like Ed Sheeran and 5SOS (who I did not expect them to love) are not from America) but I don't know very much of the music that is popular in America. This is a huge help. Very well done!

Really? I had a university student ask me yesterday if Ed Shheran was American. I wouldn't presume younger kids know or care where Westerners are from. There's a definite tendency to lump everything together from the West and call it American. I remember asking an ex KGF once if there was a Korean word for wine and why they used the Englaih word. She said they probably used the English word because wine comes from America. :shocked:

This kind of thing comes under the heading of 'intercultural competence' and we as teachers should be improving it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:25:46 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline AnnyeongAnnie

• Waygookin
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »

Really? I had a university student ask me yesterday if Ed Shheran was American. I wouldn't presume younger kids know or care where Westerners are from. There's a definite tendency to lump everything together from the West and call it American. I remember asking an ex KGF once if there was a Korean word for wine and why they used the Englaih word. She said they probably used the English word because wine comes from America. :shocked:

Yeah, actually. My students have said to me before, "Teacher, if you're American, why do you like Ed Sheeran the best? He's from England. Shouldn't you like an American singer the best?" I was like, uhhh, technically I like Korean singers the best but...
My angsty teenagers know more than I expected them to know about American/other Western cultures. They're full of surprises.