December 13, 2018, 12:00:17 AM

Author Topic: Special needs students  (Read 259 times)

Online APH

• Waygookin
Special needs students
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:56:16 PM »
Need some advice/I just need to vent about something. Iíve been teaching at my Hagwon now for around 2 months, teaching kindergarten and elementary (mostly elementary). I have 2 kindergarten classes and in one of my classes I have a special needs student.

Now, disclaimer: I am by no means having a go at the student, I know he canít help it and for the most part I know heís a lovely kid. This is more a rant at my school.

So on multiple occasions now I have had incidents with this student where he has hurt and upset other students during my class time, this usually happens during games and activities where he gets excited or has an altercation with another student which ends badly. Heís very quick to act out aggressively. Iím talking out of nowhere heíll be violent toward another student so I donít even have time to step in.

This is my first ever teaching job and I was not told beforehand that I would be teaching any special needs students so wasnít prepared in the slightest for how difficult it is. Whatís annoying me is that I am constantly being told to ďmake the lessons fun, play games, make activities, make sure the kids are enjoying themselves etc.Ē But every time I do this I know  that itís going to hype the whole class up and could potentially result in the student getting overexcited and runs the risk of some volatile behaviour.

It annoys me that my school give me b.s advice like ďdonít include him in the games like thatĒ after constantly telling me to fill the class with games, and ďkeep an eye on himĒ which of course Iím doing anyway but trying to teach a class full of kids is hard enough. I tried bringing this up to my manager like how I should deal with him and whatís the protocol but all they tell me is ďyeah...heís a difficult student...just try to keep him calm.Ē When itís clear to me that he needs special care and itís pointless putting him in classes like this when he would do way better elsewhere. Iím also starting to think if this keeps happening Iíll feel awful being the teacher who always has the upset students. Even though my hands are tied in terms of getting help for the student and the school are doing nothing to help him even though they know he has difficulties. Not to mention Iím trying to deal with a student with special needs who doesnít speak the same language as me.

I really donít want this to come off as insensitive, Iím just getting really frustrated at the lack of plan or system in place to help this kid participate in education more. Just throwing him into a class isnít the answer and isnít fair on him or the other students.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Special needs students
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Need some advice/I just need to vent about something. Iíve been teaching at my Hagwon now for around 2 months, teaching kindergarten and elementary (mostly elementary). I have 2 kindergarten classes and in one of my classes I have a special needs student.

Now, disclaimer: I am by no means having a go at the student, I know he canít help it and for the most part I know heís a lovely kid. This is more a rant at my school.

So on multiple occasions now I have had incidents with this student where he has hurt and upset other students during my class time, this usually happens during games and activities where he gets excited or has an altercation with another student which ends badly. Heís very quick to act out aggressively. Iím talking out of nowhere heíll be violent toward another student so I donít even have time to step in.

This is my first ever teaching job and I was not told beforehand that I would be teaching any special needs students so wasnít prepared in the slightest for how difficult it is. Whatís annoying me is that I am constantly being told to ďmake the lessons fun, play games, make activities, make sure the kids are enjoying themselves etc.Ē But every time I do this I know  that itís going to hype the whole class up and could potentially result in the student getting overexcited and runs the risk of some volatile behaviour.

It annoys me that my school give me b.s advice like ďdonít include him in the games like thatĒ after constantly telling me to fill the class with games, and ďkeep an eye on himĒ which of course Iím doing anyway but trying to teach a class full of kids is hard enough. I tried bringing this up to my manager like how I should deal with him and whatís the protocol but all they tell me is ďyeah...heís a difficult student...just try to keep him calm.Ē When itís clear to me that he needs special care and itís pointless putting him in classes like this when he would do way better elsewhere. Iím also starting to think if this keeps happening Iíll feel awful being the teacher who always has the upset students. Even though my hands are tied in terms of getting help for the student and the school are doing nothing to help him even though they know he has difficulties. Not to mention Iím trying to deal with a student with special needs who doesnít speak the same language as me.

I really donít want this to come off as insensitive, Iím just getting really frustrated at the lack of plan or system in place to help this kid participate in education more. Just throwing him into a class isnít the answer and isnít fair on him or the other students.

Special needs kids can be a problem in class, but like most problems in Korea, it's just ignored. Try giving him something to keep him occupied, crayons and paper, toys etc. anh hopefully it'll keep him busy while you do the activities with the other kids.

Your first step is to set your phone up, discreetly, and record your classes. Perhaps you could even find a way to record yourself warning your boss about the potentially dangerous situation and your boss ignoring you.
The way I see it, one of two things will happen: One of the other students will complain about the special needs kid and your boss will be forced to do something or, something really nasty happens and the kid hurts someone. Either way, don't put it beyond your boss to shift the blame to you, that's why it's best to have some insurance.

Online Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
You're kinda screwed. Like Aristocrat said these problems are ignored. I'd keep a record of what is happening in your class. I'd be hesitant to record your class or conversations with your boss. I vaguely remember someone recorded conversations while a party was unaware and there was a whole thing. I'd use email to keep a record of incidents and see reports to your boss and head instructor.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 11:09:32 AM »
You're kinda screwed. Like Aristocrat said these problems are ignored. I'd keep a record of what is happening in your class. I'd be hesitant to record your class or conversations with your boss. I vaguely remember someone recorded conversations while a party was unaware and there was a whole thing. I'd use email to keep a record of incidents and see reports to your boss and head instructor.
one party consent is perfectly legal in korea. i would definitely record all conversations with your boss about this. actually, discreetly record any conversation you have with your boss. you never know when it might come in useful in the future

Online Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
one party consent is perfectly legal in korea. i would definitely record all conversations with your boss about this. actually, discreetly record any conversation you have with your boss. you never know when it might come in useful in the future

You are correct about one party consent. I remember the issue was that they recorded a conversation which they werenít part of.