December 18, 2018, 07:53:15 PM

Author Topic: Looking into Hagwons..  (Read 818 times)

Offline kkochip

• Newgookin
Looking into Hagwons..
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
Hi! So, it's been awhile since my last post and if anyone remembers me (or my multitude of questions lol) I am proud to say that I am officially graduating in May! In January, I'll be registering for a TEFL course with ITA that will begin right towards the end of my semester, which I will complete July 19th. I will, however, be doing my best to submit my application to EPIK as early as I can. (I'm enrolled in an English Teaching course and an ESL method/techniques course with my college which will hopefully prepare me for the application essays). EPIK is still my like, number one, want-this-the-most kind of goal. I am very confident about it, but at the same time, I want to be realistic and explore other options to teach in South Korea.

For anyone who works at a Hagwon, has applied at one, used to work at one, or is about to start working at one - what do you feel are the base qualifications? How do you begin your search? What is the application process like? Do they all provide housing and reimburse airfare, or do only certain ones do that? Lastly, is there any way of knowing which are credible and which aren't?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I tend to over-plan. I'm aware of the issue with that, but it's worked for me so far. Thanks again, everyone, for answering! You all are always super helpful.

Offline purpleparrot

• Adventurer
Re: Looking into Hagwons..
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
For hagwon's, you can look on Dave's ESL cafe job board (among other places).   However I would strongly suggest applying to a recruiting agency and then you can work with them on applying to hagwons and to EPIK.  At least the hagwons that they recruit for will be more legit than one's you just find on the internet.

There are many recruiters in Korea but the one I've used is called Korvia.  You can work with them on applying to EPIK (which is what I did) as well as applying to hagwons.  They help you with all the documents and questions you have.  I applied to EPIK on my own and didn't get in and the next year applied with Korvia's help and got in.  Been in Korea 3 years now.

What the hagwon provides is really dependent on the hagwon itself.  With EPIK, all the schools give you the same benefits (airfare for entrance/exit, severance, health insurance, pension, etc).  But what hagwon's will provide can be different.  I would say most provide airfare but maybe just entrance and not exit.  Sometimes they don't provide housing but instead give you a monthly housing allowance.  It really just depends.  Hours are typically longer than EPIK hours. And vacation times is usually only 10 days or less...whereas you get at least 18 with EPIK.  Also EPIK gives you sick days...generally hagwons don't, and frown upon taking days off when sick.   Hagwon's usually do have a higher starting pay rate though.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:26:36 PM by purpleparrot »

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 02:34:48 AM »
Hagwons are hit and miss at the best of times. 

But usually classes are smaller, books and materials are better (depending on the school),

You'll get to know the students a lot better than in a Public school, but sometimes this is not

so great.   

Your director will make or break your experience,  if he's honest with pay and fair in the way

he treats you, it could be great.   But try  finding a hagwon that treats teachers fairly, it can be pretty

tough. 

You're way safer to go with EPIK, as much I dislike their approach to English education, they are

way more stable and you will get paid.   Hagwons, who knows?

Hope this helps.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
 Always use more than one agent. Tell one set of agents that you only want a public school job. Tell the other set of agents you only want a hogwan job. If you tell the recruiter that your first choice is a public school and second choice is a hogwan they will either tell you that. They currently don't have any public school positions. Or that public schools are too picky and it is unlikely you will get a job. They do this because they usually have one public school job for every fifty hogwan jobs. From their point of view it is easier to place you in a hogwan while saving the hogwan position for someone who is less flexible.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:34:14 AM »
As someone who has friends who work at hakwons all I can say is they have far more complaints about their job then I do.  The Spring intake for public school is March so get your application to EPIK in today.  Seriously you will thank us that you did.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
You willingly want to look for a hagwon job????

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
Perhaps search through this tab of job related issues. Count how many of those people having serious issues are working at hagwons.

There are some good ones sure, but Id say its about 80-20% in favor of the terrible ones.

Good luck.

Offline damarcus

• Newgookin
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
Remember that online opinion is HEAVILY skewed towards negative experiences. I have worked in a hagwon and had a great relationship with the director, and had a fantastic year. When you google that hagwon online, you find numerous horrendous reviews from the same person, who obviously had great difficulties in the job (was most likely due to her, since all other staff seemed happy). People with positive experiences generally don't find the need to tell the world about it.

If you enjoy teaching and develop good relationships with your students, you will more than likely have a positive experience wherever you are.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
Remember that online opinion is HEAVILY skewed towards negative experiences. I have worked in a hagwon and had a great relationship with the director, and had a fantastic year. When you google that hagwon online, you find numerous horrendous reviews from the same person, who obviously had great difficulties in the job (was most likely due to her, since all other staff seemed happy). People with positive experiences generally don't find the need to tell the world about it.

If you enjoy teaching and develop good relationships with your students, you will more than likely have a positive experience wherever you are.

Should you be posting in the Jobs sections as a recruiter???

So when people aren't paid on time, not registered for NHIS or NPS, asked to make the lessons fun but not too fun, make the students happy, make the parents happy, have their vacations reduced, suddenly fired for not being fun, or the other multitude of issues that you can find people complaining about it is because they are a negative person.

Huh....

Seems logical to me.

Offline damarcus

• Newgookin
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 02:05:19 PM »
Actually I was referring to people's experiences being positive or negative, not the characteristic of the person. I feel for your students, your comprehension ability is obviously lacking. A simple search online will tell you about the psychological phenomenon that people are much more inclined to share negative experiences than positive ones.

80% of your day is in the classroom with the kids, and therefore your relationship with your students will be the most significant determining factor of whether you look forward to, or dread going to work the next day. I do see the benefits of public schools, but you lack the freedom of choice. I specifically wanted to teach students with high English levels and be within walking distance of a beach, and I've found a job which meets my criteria. 

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
Actually I was referring to people's experiences being positive or negative, not the characteristic of the person. I feel for your students, your comprehension ability is obviously lacking. A simple search online will tell you about the psychological phenomenon that people are much more inclined to share negative experiences than positive ones.

80% of your day is in the classroom with the kids, and therefore your relationship with your students will be the most significant determining factor of whether you look forward to, or dread going to work the next day. I do see the benefits of public schools, but you lack the freedom of choice. I specifically wanted to teach students with high English levels and be within walking distance of a beach, and I've found a job which meets my criteria.

Sic burn d-bag.

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:19 PM »
Always use more than one agent. Tell one set of agents that you only want a public school job. Tell the other set of agents you only want a hogwan job. If you tell the recruiter that your first choice is a public school and second choice is a hogwan they will either tell you that. They currently don't have any public school positions. Or that public schools are too picky and it is unlikely you will get a job. They do this because they usually have one public school job for every fifty hogwan jobs. From their point of view it is easier to place you in a hogwan while saving the hogwan position for someone who is less flexible.

This could be true for most Korean recruiters who work with a lot of different hagwons, but it's not true for the work that I do at Canadian Connection! I would say closer to 85% of the people that I assist with finding positions in Korea are through public schools (EPIK, JLP, GOE). We only work with a few hagwons and they tend to be a lot more picky about applicants (experience, qualifications, etc). In my experience public schools are less picky generally, but also randomly picky. For example sometimes we can't really understand why EPIK didn't like someone and have success placing them with a different program.

Offline AdmirableRiver

• Newgookin
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:11:03 PM »
This could be true for most Korean recruiters who work with a lot of different hagwons, but it's not true for the work that I do at Canadian Connection! I would say closer to 85% of the people that I assist with finding positions in Korea are through public schools (EPIK, JLP, GOE)

Is your agency still recruiting for spring intake? I taught a few years back and my be interested in coming back to Korea, but am not sure if things have changed or if public schools are still available near the bigger cities.

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Today at 05:12:49 AM »
This could be true for most Korean recruiters who work with a lot of different hagwons, but it's not true for the work that I do at Canadian Connection! I would say closer to 85% of the people that I assist with finding positions in Korea are through public schools (EPIK, JLP, GOE)

Is your agency still recruiting for spring intake? I taught a few years back and my be interested in coming back to Korea, but am not sure if things have changed or if public schools are still available near the bigger cities.

Yup, still recruiting for spring!
Public schools in the eight metro cities would be through EPIK. In addition to being an EPIK partner we also work directly with the Jeollanamdo office of education and the Gyeongnam office of education for their public school positions.

Offline AdmirableRiver

• Newgookin
« Reply #14 on: Today at 09:53:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick response! I did work for Epik back around 2009-2010. I was hoping to look for a position more north or near the middle of the country? Would it be too late to apply for Spring intake for those placements? Also I have a 100 hr tefl certificate I believe i-to-i, but it was from 2009 would that be okay?