February 16, 2019, 03:39:15 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>

Author Topic: Reporting the birth of a Child (American Citizen)  (Read 264 times)

Offline Pizza

  • Veteran
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • www.myenglisheets.ccom
Reporting the birth of a Child (American Citizen)
« on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
We are heading up to the American embassy in Seoul this winter to report the birth of our child. The website says "unofficial" translations of Korean documents are acceptable. Can anyone share their general experience reporting the birth of their child? Or, more specifically, what Korean documents (besides your marriage certificate) did you have translated?

Download more speaking worksheets for free at: www.myenglisheets.com

Instagram & Twitter: @myenglisheets

Offline tanis62458

  • Super Waygook
  • ***
  • Posts: 352
Re: Reporting the birth of a Child (American Citizen)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
i didn't have any issues reporting the birth of my child over the summer.  the massive wall of text below are the documents you need. 

Evidence of your child’s birth
This can be an original U.S. military hospital or Korean hospital birth certificate.  A Korean certificate must be signed by the doctor and sealed with the official hospital stamp on the letter and must be accompanied by an English translation.Please make sure that the child’s name and both parents’ names on the hospital birth certificate are consistent with the names on the submitted applications and IDs.  Our office will not accept the hospital birth certificates that do not include the child’s name at birth or if the parent’s names are spelled incorrectly.
Mother’s prenatal and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).  If the child was conceived through in vitro fertilization (IVF) or another similar method, please bring your medical records, including a statement from the doctor or clinic indicating the names of the egg and sperm donors.
Evidence of U.S. citizenship of the parent(s): (One of the following:original or certified copy)
U.S. Birth Certificate (Please Note: Hospitals in the United States sometimes issue a commemorative “certificate of birth” which often has the baby’s footprints.  This hospital-issued certificate is not a proof of citizenship. Certified birth certificates are issued by the State or County government, not a hospital.)
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Certificate of Naturalization
Certificate of Citizenship
Parents’ current and previous passports including those issued under other names and other nationalities.
Evidence of couple’s relationship prior to the conception of the child.
Marriage Certificate
Divorce decrees/Death Certificates (for all previous marriages)
If you have been married before, please bring all past divorce decrees or death certificates (original copies).
For Korean citizens, a Family Census Register is acceptable (an English translation must be included.  The translation does not need to be notarized.)
If you are divorced from the child’s biological parent, please bring a court order establishing custody and guardianship of the child applying for the CRBA.
Fee: $215 ($100 CRBA and $115 Passport)  All fees are payable in U.S. dollars or Korean won at the Embassy’s exchange rate.  A combination of U.S. dollars and Korean won will not be accepted.  The Embassy also accepts payment by US or International credit card.
Please note that when providing consular services outside of the U.S. Embassy (Off-site Services), we are only able to accept payment by MONEY ORDER in U.S. dollars for the exact amount of the service made payable to the “CASHIER FMC U.S. EMBASSY SEOUL”.  We do NOT accept cash or credit card at the Off-site Services.
Evidence of the American parent’s physical presence in the U.S.
If only one parent is a U.S. citizen and the other is not, the U.S. citizen parent must provide evidence of his or her actual presence in the United States for five years (two of them after the age of 14) before the birth.
If the parents are not married and the father is a U.S. citizen, more evidence as such as written affidavits, may be requested along with the five years physical presence requirement.
Note: A child born between November 14, 1986 and June 11, 2017 and out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother and an alien father will acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen mother had previously been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of one year. The mother of a child born out of wedlock cannot use time spent abroad as a military member or dependent to satisfy all or part of the requirement of continuous physical presence in the United States for 1 year.
Please note: Based on the evidence provided, it is up to the reviewing officer to determine if the eligibility for transmission of citizenship requirement has been met.  If more information is required, these additional items, along with any missing documents, will be explained to you with an itemized list indicating the document(s) necessary to complete your child’s application.  You have 90 calendar days from the submission of your application to complete the process.

i realize i could have just linked the page but i had already copied everything  https://kr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/  

make sure you fill out the form and passport wizard too.  other than that, it was alright.  dude, just looked over my stuff, made sure everything was legit and there, handed everything back to me that he didn't need and i was on my way.  kid's passport showed up at my house a few weeks later.

Offline Pizza

  • Veteran
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • www.myenglisheets.ccom
Re: Reporting the birth of a Child (American Citizen)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
Thanks a lot for this.

I'm mostly curious about mom's hospital records. How deep did go you with them?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:55:09 PM by Pizza »
Download more speaking worksheets for free at: www.myenglisheets.com

Instagram & Twitter: @myenglisheets