December 13, 2018, 12:11:40 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Is the job market bad right now? Or just me?  (Read 811 times)

Online alanO

• Adventurer
Is the job market bad right now? Or just me?
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »
Seems to be so many poor offers coming in. Have a year of experience, and already in Korea but just keep getting shafted, poor offers, poor vacation times, jobs offering not to pay pension etc. after the interview wasting mine and their time. I've been called "picky" by a recruiter for wanting less than 30 hours a week contract (flexible everywhere else), and I've had one try and scam me after finding me a "good job".  Directly looking for jobs has been bad as well, not qualified enough for university so I'm at the whims of hagwons or some needle in the haystack public school.

I think I've found 1 great job so far which I'm applying for - the rest have been okay at best.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
Re: Is the job market bad right now? Or just me?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
Just from looking at the "contract review" posts here and on Reddit, yeah it seems abysmal.  Hours and responsibility creeping up and salary offers either staying the same or actually going down. 

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »
 The number of applicants outnumbers the actual positions.  China is on the rise. Particularly International schools that are willing to take a chance on someone with just a BA.

Offline Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
You are "on the ground" so I'm sure you have an advantage over someone overseas.

However hagwon jobs do typically suck with 2 weeks or some such garbage as your vacation entitlement.

I would have thought some PS jobs should be coming up now with a start after lunar new year?

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »
does the job you have now offer you better benefits than the job offers you are receiving?  if so, why not stay at your current school.   

if you are in public school already, you are going to have a difficult time finding a hagwon that can match vacation time and hours worked.  you've been here a year so i'm sure you already know that standard hagwon time off is usually 5 days summer, 5 days winter since the students come all year round. 

is it the salary?  i'm always curious cause i think i've asked this before on this site somewhere about what people feel they are worth.  and like fishead said, the number of applicants outnumber the actual positions.  maybe go to china? i've just seen a lot people come out here and expect to make bank their for doing nothing. 

it's good you are picky though.  at least whatever job you end up at is one that you will hopefully enjoy.   better than accepting an offer that you will hate. 

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 02:36:02 PM »
yeah it seems abysmal.  Hours and responsibility creeping up and salary offers either staying the same or actually going down.

The fact that it is so swamped is a reflection on the real unemployment levels in North America.
Catch my drift?

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
Except it's not swamped, Aurata. 1 in 10,000 Americans came to work in Korea. Do the math and it's way less than that (if we're talking Americans currently on an E-2 visa.) Is that a lot percentage wise? Hell, no. More believe wacky conspiracy theories like you do.

Demand went down. And the minuscule minority in this tiny niche market accepted longer hours meaning less employees are doing the work of what in the past was a greater number of workers, thereby reducing the number of job openings.