December 18, 2018, 07:47:42 PM

Author Topic: In-person job interview for another school (current EPIK teacher)  (Read 869 times)

Offline Edelweiss

• Newgookin
I've just been offered an interview with a school, and they're insisting on an in-person interview (which makes sense). The issue is that the school is in another city - I live in Daejeon, and the school is in Seoul. I'm currently working Monday-Friday with my current school and have no vacation days to spare for the interview, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

Has anyone had experiences with this? Will I just have to pass on this position? I've offered the alternative for a Skype interview but have been denied.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: In-person job interview for another school (current EPIK teacher)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
I'd personally let them know your current work situation and when you're available for an interview. If they cannot accommodate you're available, then I don't see how it'd work out. I've had in-person interviews before and managed to work them out, but that's because I was working at a hagwon at the time, didn't have to be at work until later in the day, and the job interview wasn't that far out of the way for me.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »
Depending on how you feel about it, you could always use a sick day.
Aim for like a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »
 There are three possible situations to this problem.

Your current school wants you to renew with EPIK and they have a budget to hire you for another year. In this case it is highly unlikely that your school will permit you to take the day off.

Your current school would like to renew you however someone at the top has gotten wind of a budget cut meaning your school will not get any more funding to hire a foreign teacher. In this case if your school likes you they will be more than happy to accomidate you. If you have already been informed of a budget cut that has made you redundant then most school Principals will be pretty open to at least allowing you to leave early.

Your current school has chosen not to renew your contract. This is a highly problematic situation particularly if your situation with EPIK is up in the air or  you have an option to move to another school.

It also depends how good this new school is. Would you be willing to gamble EPIK for a chance at a hogwan?

Offline Edelweiss

• Newgookin
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
There are three possible situations to this problem.

Your current school wants you to renew with EPIK and they have a budget to hire you for another year. In this case it is highly unlikely that your school will permit you to take the day off.

Your current school would like to renew you however someone at the top has gotten wind of a budget cut meaning your school will not get any more funding to hire a foreign teacher. In this case if your school likes you they will be more than happy to accomidate you. If you have already been informed of a budget cut that has made you redundant then most school Principals will be pretty open to at least allowing you to leave early.

Your current school has chosen not to renew your contract. This is a highly problematic situation particularly if your situation with EPIK is up in the air or  you have an option to move to another school.

It also depends how good this new school is. Would you be willing to gamble EPIK for a chance at a hogwan?

It's a private school and my current EPIK school already knows my intentions that I am looking for other teaching positions. I have already signed my intent not to renew with my current school.

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
OP, I glanced at this thread.

Do you plan to switch to a D VISA inbetween jobs? If so, the rules will change and become ‘concrete’ come January 2019.

It is my understanding that you have the choice of the ‘old rules’ or the ‘new rules’ until jan 2019......

I’m guessing the ‘new rules’ are not in your favour........

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »

Do you plan to switch to a D VISA inbetween jobs? If so, the rules will change and become ‘concrete’ come January 2019.

It is my understanding that you have the choice of the ‘old rules’ or the ‘new rules’ until jan 2019......

What are the new rules with the D visa?  I'm taking a break from my public school of many years and am considering getting a D10 in case I want to return?  Will be on the E2 until end of February at the least.  What new rules will I be facing?  Can I still go travel and return?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:51:50 PM by OnNut81 »

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »

What are the new rules with the D visa?  I'm taking from my public school of many years and am considering getting a D10 in case I want to return?  Will be on the E2 until end of February at the least.  What new rules will I be facing?  Can I still go travel and return?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r95YRsPvKimcGXB9fyJYnFCOlhfYVQyz/view

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 12:01:24 PM »
Thank you AlexisAlex.  Wow!  That seems like a completely different visa than what the previous one was from what I understood.  I've just gone eight straight E2s and want to take a few months to kick back and travel with a return to Korea as a possibility.  The old d-10 would've made that a lot easier. 

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Thank you AlexisAlex.  Wow!  That seems like a completely different visa than what the previous one was from what I understood.  I've just gone eight straight E2s and want to take a few months to kick back and travel with a return to Korea as a possibility.  The old d-10 would've made that a lot easier. 

Yes, thanks why they've changed the rules!

Other VISA rules are in the middle of being changed, official news will be announced soon..... These rules will be introduced in 2020 I think...

Online Allpointseast

• Waygookin
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 03:13:32 AM »
 Well, I was in a similar situation a while back. I was teaching in a hagwon in  Icheon in Gyeonggi-do and there was a "public school" in a town in the north east of Gyeonggi-do. The town was popular with Korean tourists, but the issue was that the journey would have to be indirect and I would need to take the day off. The "public school" insisted on an in-person interview. I felt bad about taking a day off and so I did not ask to do so. I did not get the job.
   Have you asked for time off to go to the interview? If you carefully explain the circumstances to your co-teacher and other teachers, they might say yes. tThat's something I did not do. In the case of the hagwon I was at, they would have let me take the day off for an interview, but it would be unpaid. It's worth asking.
Also, you can reach Seoul quickly by KTX.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
Can we assume this will not happen to English teachers but is for others coming here to work in other fields?

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
It may be kind of a long-shot, but you could maybe try asking the school you're interested in having an interview with, if you can come after normal working/business hours, e.g., after 5pm/in the evening, on the off-chance they may be willing to schedule the interview outside of normal working/business hours. I had an interview once that was several hours away from where I was living at the time, and so there was basically no way I could come in for an interview during normal working/business hours without asking for unpaid leave or something at my then-current-job. I decided to ask them (the place I wanted to interview with) if I it was possible if I could come in for an interview later in the evening/night on a Friday (and explained that that was the only possible time I would be able to come in for an interview in person), and surprisingly they were willing to do that and agreed to it, luckily. So I think it wouldn't hurt trying to ask to see if it's possible, on the off-chance that they may be willing to do that; the worst they'll say is no.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:39:39 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 05:58:11 PM »
Can we assume this will not happen to English teachers but is for others coming here to work in other fields?

No. This change has (will) be put in place to stop certain (in country) VISA ppl from switching. From a fairness point of view, it seems pointless for immi to exclude E2 from these rules.

Time will tell.....

Offline Edelweiss

• Newgookin
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I've found another job since then :)