December 13, 2018, 12:15:04 AM

Author Topic: University job - English Literature  (Read 343 times)

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
University job - English Literature
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the market for specific subject university jobs is the same as TEFL university jobs?

I know getting a job here at a university teaching English means you need a Master's degree plus two years' experience and is very competitive because everyone wants to do it.  I would love to teach English Literature at a university in Korea and I'm wondering if those positions are just as competitive or even if there are many positions at all. 

I assume if you have a Master's degree in English Literature then you can teach it at a uni here but I have no idea of the market.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?

Offline kangsheng

• Waygookin
Re: University job - English Literature
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »
There are a few jobs here and there. I am in the TESOL faculty but told the department head that I had studied English Lit as an undergrad and now I have one lit class per semester. I pushed it as an EFL-literature class, while mentioning content based teaching.
Yonsei has native English speakers teaching lit but I think they have Ph.D.s. Friend of mine teaches lit at SKKU but has a Ph.D.
Konkuk used to employ one native English literature teacher but that position changed to pure EFL (and the teacher left at that point).
Good luck! I'm glad to have one class. I keep the readings very short and do a lot of explanation in class, hoping that I'll maintain sufficient numbers to keep getting classes. Students everywhere no longer read, of course, but non-natives are even less willing to read a lot of English....

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply and the info  :azn:

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »
Yonsei has native English speakers teaching lit but I think they have Ph.D.s.

yep. I know one such real professor. Nice work (and pay) if you can get it.
Catch my drift?