February 22, 2019, 10:19:31 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: SHOCK as 8.4million Britons reveal they shower just once a week  (Read 1912 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: SHOCK as 8.4million Britons reveal they shower just once a week
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »
Who the hell shares bath water?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
That's why 48 hour antiperspirant deodorant is so popular over there.

We should be commending the island of Britain for it's continued efforts of preserving earth's precious water resources.

They are actually using more water because when they aren't having a shower, they're having a bath.

Not sure this is true if a family spends over x amount of time having individual showers as opposed to running 1 bath.

You can get away with that with little kids, but I'm not sure adults would be happy to share bath water.

I don't know either pal but the numbers change when you take into account the length of the shower. I cba to search for those numbers though, I'm going home in a minute. Going to pop the kettle on and have a cuppa rosey lee.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 03:44:55 PM »
Who the hell shares bath water?

The brits. Savages.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
They are actually using more water because when they aren't having a shower, they're having a bath.

Umm...No.

Stinky Brits take just four baths each year
New research reveals Britons prefer the shower - but we don't use that or the bath on 111 days each year

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/stinky-brits-take-just-four-4934422

I think the perception is.. that showering too much is bad for your skin. The soaps will dry your skin out and alter the natural pH balance. So its healthy to go without showering at least once a week.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
Quote from: eggieguffer on Today at 03:15:47 PM

Umm...No.

Stinky Brits take just four baths each year
New research reveals Britons prefer the shower - but we don't use that or the bath on 111 days each year

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/stinky-brits-take-just-four-4934422

Britons don't take enough baths but they take 50% of their baths in hotels! (that's hotels where you can book a room online right now and have a lovely bath!)  reveals scientific research from hotel booking site LateRooms.com to mark Bubble Bath Day.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:06:38 AM by eggieguffer »

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
It's the teeth that has bothered me. But then I went to Japan six times and got used to seeing crooked teeth.

Daily showers and diligent dental care are more culture-specific traits than 1st world vs. 3rd world.

The more you travel, the more normal everything seems. It makes one more tolerant.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »
It's the teeth that has bothered me. But then I went to Japan six times and got used to seeing crooked teeth.

Daily showers and diligent dental care are more culture-specific traits than 1st world vs. 3rd world.

The more you travel, the more normal everything seems. It makes one more tolerant.

I imagine the teeth are also a class/wealth thing. I'm guessing there are also plenty of Americans at the bottom of the socio-economic scale who have crooked/missing teeth (I'm thinking Deliverance). You don't have free dental care do you? It's all but dried up in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:54:24 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 06:47:46 AM »
Maybe Brits and Japanese people don't measure the worth of someone based on their teeth.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 07:21:11 AM »
Brits stink??  When was that ever a thing???  Not the British people I've known :huh:

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 07:36:07 AM »
Maybe Brits and Japanese people don't measure the worth of someone based on their teeth.

Well, they do sometimes. :smiley:

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
Hahaha  ;D

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
Quote from: eggieguffer
I imagine the teeth are also a class/wealth thing. I'm guessing there are also plenty of Americans at the bottom of the socio-economic scale who have crooked/missing teeth (I'm thinking Deliverance). You don't have free dental care do you? It's all but dried up in the UK.
I'm Canadian and dental care is cheap.

I've traveled nine of the United States, and haven't seen any really crooked teeth. But I haven't been to the South.

Socioeconomic status doesn't explain the British tourists nor the many Japanese I've encountered.

I suspect culture is more at play. Maybe in England and Japan crooked teeth isn't perceived as horrifying.

After all, the relatively few showers the Brits take isn't in itself metely a socioeconomic issue, is it? It's cultural.

Note: Now I understand the UK version of The Apprentice. The contestants get a morning phone call waking them up: meet downstairs in 20 minutes to go to blah blah... I have thought: No way they could all shower and get ready in 20 minutes! I thought it was a fake announcement, that they had more time. Now I think, maybe not!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
Yeah, the number of people with crooked or missing teeth in the U.S. is significantly lower than in places like the UK and Japan, no matter what their socioeconomic status is. In fact, I grew up poor, and the people around me took especially good care of their teeth precisely because they couldn't afford to see a dentist (but still didn't qualify for free dental care). So brushing teeth two or three times a day, regular flossing, etc.

And a lot of folks don't need to get braces to straighten out their teeth. Most of them just have straight teeth that grow in naturally.

I'm wondering if cultures with especially high numbers of crooked teeth allow their babies to suck on their thumbs or pacifiers for longer periods of their development to account for some of it... that, or maybe people in either culture are loosing their baby teeth sooner than their jaws are ready for them so that their adult teeth grow in crooked. Or it could be something as simple as eating too many tough, chewy foods as part of the regular diet, or being taught to brush teeth too hard. In Japan there might be some genetics at play, too.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:26:52 AM by Chinguetti »

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »
Yeah, the number of people with crooked or missing teeth in the U.S. is significantly lower than in places like the UK and Japan, no matter what their socioeconomic status is. In fact, I grew up poor, and the people around me took especially good care of their teeth precisely because they couldn't afford to see a dentist (but still didn't qualify for free dental care). So brushing teeth two or three times a day, regular flossing, etc.

Brushing three times a day and flossing aint going to cure crooked teeth. Sticking out teeth can be cured by wearing a brace but for teeth growing in the wrong direction or an over crowded mouth you need expensive dental surgery.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »

Brushing three times a day and flossing aint going to cure crooked teeth. Sticking out teeth can be cured by wearing a brace but for teeth growing in the wrong direction or an over crowded mouth you need expensive dental surgery.

Proper dental hygiene can prevent early tooth loss, though.

So kids don't lose their baby teeth sooner than their jaws are ready for it. Adult teeth don't tend to grow well in jaws that aren't quite big enough for them, yet.

Just pointing out the fact the majority of people in the U.S. living below the poverty line don't actually need expensive braces for straight teeth. I'm agreeing with VanIslander that there's more to it than just socioeconomic status, so trying to find another possible correlation.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:49:54 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 10:54:05 AM »
Van Islander:

Note: Now I understand the UK version of The Apprentice. The contestants get a morning phone call waking them up: meet downstairs in 20 minutes to go to blah blah... I have thought: No way they could all shower and get ready in 20 minutes! I thought it was a fake announcement, that they had more time. Now I think, maybe not!
[/quote]

Interesting.  I also enjoy watching that show and just the other day I found myself, not for the first time, thinking they were doing some sneaky editing to make it look like they had to hustle in an impossibly short time to go meet Lord Sucre. 

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »

Proper dental hygiene can prevent early tooth loss, though.

So kids don't lose their baby teeth sooner than their jaws are ready for it. Adult teeth don't tend to grow well in jaws that aren't quite big enough for them, yet.

Just pointing out the fact the majority of people in the U.S. living below the poverty line don't actually need expensive braces for straight teeth. I'm agreeing with VanIslander that there's more to it than just socioeconomic status, so trying to find another possible correlation.

It's probably just down to more poor people in the US finding the money to get them straightened because ihaving crooked teeth is a bigger deal there.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
It's probably just down to more poor people in the US finding the money to get them straightened because ihaving crooked teeth is a bigger deal there.

Possible and likely in many cases. I can imagine that people who qualify can receive some type of assistance for braces if those braces are for children.

But in my own experience, the people around me never needed them.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »

The cowboy's lifehacks thread is over there.