February 22, 2019, 12:04:10 PM

Author Topic: Oh God, now the Koreans are taking over Canadian Classrooms...  (Read 2255 times)

Offline guppy1000

• Waygookin
Oh God, now the Koreans are taking over Canadian Classrooms...
« on: November 20, 2018, 07:10:34 PM »
Everyone's favorite historically victimized Tribe has won a victory in Canada.

Read this:

https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/news/langley-school-pulls-japanese-rising-sun-flag-after-student-petition/

Then read the comments from the Koreans in the bottom section.

Some of the comments suggest a degree of mental unbalance.

Probably the same people who threaten athletes when a Korean loses.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Oh God, now the Koreans are taking over Canadian Classrooms...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Meanwhile, in Korea..

BTS should apologise to Japan and Nazi victims, says rabbi
K-pop band accused of mocking the past as row over ‘atomic bomb’ T-shirt continues

The Simon Wiesenthal Center accused BTS of “mocking the past” The band were dropped from a Japanese TV show last week after one of its members wore a T-shirt that appeared to celebrate the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

“Wearing a T-shirt in Japan mocking the victims of the … A-bomb, is just the latest incident of this band mocking the past,

The statement also linked to images of band members posing at the Holocaust memorial in Berlin and to footage of them waving large flags on stage that were “eerily similar” to the Nazi swastika.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/nov/12/bts-should-apologise-to-japan-nazi-victims-says-rabbi-atomic-bomb

Koreans tend to use foreign symbols while being clueless as to their meaning and how they are received. Theyre still very naive about the world outside of the hermit kingdom.
Catch my drift?

Online Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:53:57 AM »
Most people are unaware of just how disgusting the Japanese were.  And there is a ton of revisionism.   So that flag is also pretty disgusting.

This video explains how bad it was.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnAC-Y9p_sY
Bonzai!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
You guys realize it wasn't just Koreans under Japanese Imperial rule right.....just saying. 

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:17:13 AM »
Old news! 

The alleged t-shirt that Jimin wore was back in 2015.  Does it mean that it's right?  No.  But it just goes to show how petty people are by 'looking' for the bad and saying "See!  See!  He/she is a racist!" 

Not to mention that the guys don't pick and chose their clothes for the stage.  They're chosen by their stylists.  They just numbingly put the crap on and head out to perform.  Should the stylists have know better?  Sure.  But they didn't.  It was a mistake.  Having to have BTS themselves apologize for a simple mistake is ridiculous!  And how the Rabi is going off at the mouth is pathetic.  The one quote that gets me is "If young people see it, they'll think it's cool".   :rolleyes: 

This entire thing is nothing but a f**king joke.  They saying goes, "The more popular you are, the more hated you are." 

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »

Read this:

https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/news/langley-school-pulls-japanese-rising-sun-flag-after-student-petition/

Sad that people think that you can erase history by taking down a flag.  It still happened.  Hopefully we can learn from it.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
Most people are unaware of just how disgusting the Japanese were.  And there is a ton of revisionism.   So that flag is also pretty disgusting.

omg jimjimjim we agree on something  :shocked:

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »

Read this:

I agree that yanking the flag is nonsense since its part of a lesson.

But dude, there were 5 comments. One was just a link. One a driveby comment, the kind you see everywhere. And the last a rant by someone who has the lethal concoction of a little knowledge of history+a big swig of SJW tonic. Easy on the diagnosis there, Freud.

Attn: Posters. 5 comments on a news site or 6 likes and a youtube video do not constitute some massive influence and popular wave of outrage.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
It's a supply and demand problem. Nowadays the demand for stuff to be offended about is outstripping the supply of genuine stuff there is to be offended about. So people have to keep lowering the bar.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:09:47 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline MizuWizard

• Newgookin
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »
Seems that some in this thread have never been offended by a symbol or flag that has been associated with a tragic historical event. Personally I would never place anything with negative connotations on my walls. The classroom should be decorated to inspire or motivate students. If he really wanted to show the flag because of historical context then sure he should feel free to bring it to show the class. However to keep it hanging is a bit unnecessary and can seem that he has a personal association with it. If you're still confused, imagine the uproar of having a swastika or US confederate flag in a classroom. Just because we aren't offended doesn't mean we should bash those who are.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
I'm offended by the Rising Sun being in the same display as a Spitfire. Really, that should be an Iron Cross and a Spit OR a Rising Sun and like, an F4F Wildcat.

Offline guppy1000

• Waygookin
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Seems that some in this thread have never been offended by a symbol or flag that has been associated with a tragic historical event. Personally I would never place anything with negative connotations on my walls. The classroom should be decorated to inspire or motivate students. If he really wanted to show the flag because of historical context then sure he should feel free to bring it to show the class. However to keep it hanging is a bit unnecessary and can seem that he has a personal association with it. If you're still confused, imagine the uproar of having a swastika or US confederate flag in a classroom. Just because we aren't offended doesn't mean we should bash those who are.

Okay, so let's take down the US Flag from all classrooms.

I like Japan, and I'm really offended by the US Flag because it reminds me how the US fire bombed Japanese civilians and how the US dropped nuclear weapons on civilian populations in Japan.

Think of all the thousands of innocent women and children who were burned alive...

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »

I like Japan, and I'm really offended by the US Flag because it reminds me how the US fire bombed Japanese civilians and how the US dropped nuclear weapons on civilian populations in Japan.

Think of all the thousands of innocent women and children who were burned alive...

I was wondering when someone was going to say this. You know that Japanese flag isn't used any more by Japan, don't you? 

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 10:52:05 AM »
The thing that bothers me about all of it is how everyone always complains about Japan being in denial of history and never teaching their kids about anything controversial or doesn't look good. How is this any different? You see nazi flags all the time and it sucks, but it actually makes you think about what happened. If I see a nazi flag in a classroom, I want to know why and I want to know why people are upset. I don't instantly jump up and scream "RACIST!" There has to be a reason when it's an educational setting. People also don't start a petition every time you see one because different situations have different context.

The result of all of this is just that Western people will continue to have no idea about the rising sun flag. Those kids probably aren't going to learn anything about it. They will just see angry people and a teacher forced to back down and tiptoe around the issue instead of learning what happened and why it truly hurts people who have lived under it.

Offline T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »

I was wondering when someone was going to say this. You know that Japanese flag isn't used any more by Japan, don't you?

Not quite true. The Japanese Navy still uses it.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
I'm curious as to why old Japanese general and soldiers are not put through a war crime tribunal like what happen during the Nuremberg trails.  I've seen 2014 documentaries of Japanese generals and soldiers who are sitting in home painting calligraphy and sipping tea enjoying aging into their final days, while just THIS YEAR the United State deported a 95 year old former German citizen for his war crimes.  With all the heinous things they did why aren't they being held accountable?  German to this day is still sending 90+ year olds to prison.  So saying "they are just a wee old grampa" is not an excuse to evade justice. 

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »
I'm curious as to why old Japanese general and soldiers are not put through a war crime tribunal like what happen during the Nuremberg trails.  I've seen 2014 documentaries of Japanese generals and soldiers who are sitting in home painting calligraphy and sipping tea enjoying aging into their final days, while just THIS YEAR the United State deported a 95 year old former German citizen for his war crimes.  With all the heinous things they did why aren't they being held accountable?  German to this day is still sending 90+ year olds to prison.  So saying "they are just a wee old grampa" is not an excuse to evade justice.

It was a condition of Japanese surrender. Factions of the Japanese military wanted to prolong the war but the Emperor gained enough leverage with powerful military leaders by negotiating concessions with the US.

War isn't perfect.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 02:59:04 PM »
By the way.....

Living here....I've elected to NOT BE THAT PERSON. 

You know the ones that want to tell Africans/Native/Jews to "GET OVER IT." 
When I was at EPIK orientation I over heard a prospective English teacher (I'll let you imagine what she looked like) say that "She was sick and tired of hearing her students say Japanese people are bad because of what they did to Korea.  UGH GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!" 

Now while I don't accept any racism at all from my students, will I tell them the Japanese soldiers of the past were bad but please get to know a Japanese person before you think they are bad.  I explain in simple terms.  I tell them yes I know but we must make a future of peace.  But don't forget your history.  I'm sure if I blurted out "Get over it" to my kids about comfort women or Dokdo to my class I'm sure I'd get some parent phone calls.  So I say take the more diplomatic approach to "Teacher Japanese is Babo/Trashy." 

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnAC-Y9p_sY

A vidya I watched very recently about that very question. The part about the Nanking / Nanjing Massacre is pretty disgusting ...
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »
"Moon, you need to take a tablespoon of cement with your next coffee and harden the 'F' up son." Thomas Heberling you legend. Nearly fell off my chair.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?