December 18, 2018, 06:21:51 PM

Author Topic: Mentor/Mentee  (Read 293 times)

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
Mentor/Mentee
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »
Do you guys (those in public schools) do the mentor/mentee thing at the beginning of the year?  A new NET comes to observe your class and then you go and observe their class.

For me this is one of the best parts of the job and a big strength of the EPIK program.  I love giving help where I can and love to see how other people teach.  I think it's really rewarding.

I just wish this kind of thing was done more frequently.  We're supposed to do it twice a year but it only ever happens once.  After reading teacher2004's post it got me thinking about how much free time I have at school.  I'd love to go and watch some more experienced NETs to try to pick up some tips or to just observe a class and chat afterwards.

What do you guys think about the mentor/mentee stuff here?  Beneficial?  Should be more of that kind of thing?

Online carter1l

• Adventurer
Re: Mentor/Mentee
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:58:18 PM »
I'm not with EPIK; however, I did ask my co if I could observe another teacher to see their style which she asked me to attend someone's open class. I found it pretty beneficial since I'm new to teaching. I've never had anyone observe me other than Korean's but I am attending another teachers open class next week :)

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
I'm not with EPIK; however, I did ask my co if I could observe another teacher to see their style which she asked me to attend someone's open class. I found it pretty beneficial since I'm new to teaching. I've never had anyone observe me other than Korean's but I am attending another teachers open class next week :)

Nice one!  Hope you're able to pick up some tips; I know I usually do  :smiley:

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
I've had to watch at the beginning of my first year, but no one has ever come to watch any of mine (currently on year 3).

Online Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
I really wish this was more of a thing. Even after all these years I still feel I've just been teaching in my own little bubble. I think I've improved leaps and bounds since I first started, but it's all through either a) trial and error or b) reading up on stuff online. Would be great to have other EPIKs (experienced or otherwise) give some feedback about how I'm doing in the class, areas I could improve on etc. Because lawd knows my co-teachers don't  :sad:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:23:17 PM by Datasapien »
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
I really wish this was more of a thing. Even after all these years I still feel I've just been teaching in my own little bubble. I think I've improved leaps and bounds since I first started, but it's all through either a) trial and error or b) reading up on stuff online. Would be great to have other EPIKs (experienced or otherwise) give some feedback about how I'm doing in the class, areas I could improve on etc. Because lawd knows my co-teachers don't  :sad:

Yeah this sums up exactly how I feel too.