December 18, 2018, 06:59:43 PM

Author Topic: Why don't schools hire directly?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Why don't schools hire directly?
« on: November 18, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »
Finding a new teacher is as simple as placing an ad online. Why do schools pay W1M to a recruiter to do something they could so easily do themselves?

If they did this, jobseekers could negotiate directly with employers terms and duration of contract instead of the whole process being supervised by a recruiter... who is mostly looking out for his own interests. For example, if I want to suggest to a school only a 6-month contract, the recruiter will never pass on this information. Because they only get paid for completed 1-year contracts. The whole process has too many cooks.
Catch my drift?

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: Why don't schools hire directly?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:59:43 AM »
Some do.

That is how I got my current job. It's a government job... basically the same as an EPIK contract (with a few small differences that I was more than happy to accommodate). It did have more give/take than it would have had I gone through a recruiter or through EPIK. However, usually you don't see these jobs posted until maybe 1-2 months before the start of the term, and usually, they will only hire someone who is in the country; though this isn't always the case (I have two co-workers who came from overseas who were also direct hires).

Offline AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »
Finding a new teacher is as simple as placing an ad online. Why do schools pay W1M to a recruiter to do something they could so easily do themselves?

If they did this, jobseekers could negotiate directly with employers terms and duration of contract instead of the whole process being supervised by a recruiter... who is mostly looking out for his own interests. For example, if I want to suggest to a school only a 6-month contract, the recruiter will never pass on this information. Because they only get paid for completed 1-year contracts. The whole process has too many cooks.

They hire recruiters because they want people to do the job listed in the contract. Most contracts aren't negotiations.

If I hired for a school looking to fill a 1 year contract, I'd probably also prefer paying 1M won to a recruiter rather than field all these "what about a 2/4/6/8/10 month contract" responses. Recruitment is time, paperwork, signatures, phone calls, plane tickets, apartments. If I have to hire 2 people for one school year, I'm doubling the time, effort, and money recruitment demands. Its not as simple as placing an ad online, clearly you haven't worked in recruitment/HR before.

If this was a negotiation, what would you forfeit to earn that edit to the contract?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:35:02 AM »
People who run schools likely don’t have the skills to do international recruitment.
Since they only do 1 or 2 a year, it makes sense to contract out the task to a company that does it all the time. In the long run, it is likely cheaper than re-learning the task each year, especially when mistakes are made!

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »
 The person in charge of you already has a job to do. They might even be a homeroom teacher or department head.
they will not understand things like Criminal background checks. They might even have to communicate with a third party the POE.

EPIK hires direct the agency that hires is called ( National Institute for International Education) they have a number of foreigners on staff most of whom are fluent in Korean. Although they never hire enough so they rely on recruiters.

Some of the big name hogwans hire direct like YBM Sisa Youngosa and Pagoda

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
EPIK hires direct the agency that hires is called ( National Institute for International Education) they have a number of foreigners on staff most of whom are fluent in Korean. Although they never hire enough so they rely on recruiters.

You would think that an organization so large would simply form their own hiring department.

My old school (an International School) hired several new teachers per year so they appointed two management staff to carry out the whole hiring/ visa process. Its really not that difficult.
Catch my drift?

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 07:26:52 AM »

You would think that an organization so large would simply form their own hiring department.

My old school (an International School) hired several new teachers per year so they appointed two management staff to carry out the whole hiring/ visa process. Its really not that difficult.

There is a lot of paperwork required. Also since things like Criminal background checks don't just pop up overnight . There is a long timeline involved.  Lots of English is required for the whole process. More English than the average Korean teacher has for example" Why can't I just use my Ontario Provincial Police CBC? Public school teachers are already overloaded with lots of pointless paperwork, Programs like EPIK also have to arrange Orintations and workshops so they rely on agencies to pick up the slack. also many Epik Co-ordinators also have schools they  work at when they are not in the office.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
Just to be clear, public schools technically can't hire directly. Any person on a public school payroll needs the approval of the MOE (Education Office).

Offline Bulldogs12

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
Probably a lack of English skills (or no confidence in their ability to communicate). I guess for school owners/education bureaucrats it's safer to give the task to a recruiter.

Online tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »

They hire recruiters because they want people to do the job listed in the contract. Most contracts aren't negotiations.

If I hired for a school looking to fill a 1 year contract, I'd probably also prefer paying 1M won to a recruiter rather than field all these "what about a 2/4/6/8/10 month contract" responses. Recruitment is time, paperwork, signatures, phone calls, plane tickets, apartments. If I have to hire 2 people for one school year, I'm doubling the time, effort, and money recruitment demands. Its not as simple as placing an ad online, clearly you haven't worked in recruitment/HR before.

If this was a negotiation, what would you forfeit to earn that edit to the contract?

pretty much this right here.  most schools and hagwons don't waste their time with this.  they pay recruiters because recruiters get the work done for them.   and amdc is right, most contracts aren't up for negotiation.  if that person doesn't that the job, there is always someone else who will. 

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
Just to be clear, public schools technically can't hire directly. Any person on a public school payroll needs the approval of the MOE (Education Office).

Out of the four public schools I've worked, two were direct hires.  I knew someone at both schools and no recruiter was involved.  Interviews were arranged and done with the main English teacher at both schools.  Both were in Gyeonggi cities. 

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
Out of the four public schools I've worked, two were direct hires.  I knew someone at both schools and no recruiter was involved.  Interviews were arranged and done with the main English teacher at both schools.  Both were in Gyeonggi cities.
And you wouldn't have been hired without MOE's approval. The school can do 99% of the foot work, and as an outsider it will look like the school has 100% autonomy in hiring. But if the MOE doesn't approve funds, and the hire, then no teacher.

As to how far the MOE will investigate your background, that's up to them. Most likely your papers will come across someone's desk, they'll look at it for like 2 seconds, and stamp it.

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »
Well, for all intents and purposes that's a direct hire.  City hall wasn't going to be involved.  The school had funding available and handled their own job hunting via word of mouth and then interviews.  Had me meet the VP and P who said yes.  Doesn't affect the OP's contention that schools don't hire directly because some desk jockey needs to rubber stamp something.  If the school hadn't liked the candidate no official was going to overrule them. 

Offline Allpointseast

• Waygookin
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:35 AM »
  Well, some schools do place ads directly, for example on Dave's ESL Café. One such school replied to my online resume once. I also got a job through the personal recommendation of a friend.
  However, many schools and hagwons feel they don't have the time or the skills to sift through hundreds of CVs or resumes, judge the experience and aptitudes of thousands of people who may or may not be serious about doing the job. So, they call a recruiter.
  The problem is that recruiters don't all play fair. Some of them are frankly just wasting your time. One thing about Korea is that some people have absurd prejudices about what kind of teacher they will accept, and prejudiced people tend to be noisier. Recruiters will remember the silly prejudices and some will even try to screen out everyone who doesn't fit a narrow "ideal teacher." A recruiter even gave me a tongue-lashing because I wasn't what the market wanted, despite experience and qualifications.
Another problem is false advertising. They will put out an ad that says "Teaching Job in Seoul, Songpa-gu" and the recruiter, will say "Sorry, that job's gone-do you still want a job? We have a job just for you in Poyang on the east coast."