December 18, 2018, 07:50:30 PM

Author Topic: The Korean bias in favour of blondes  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
The Korean bias in favour of blondes
« on: November 18, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
Has anyone noticed this? Any experiences to share?

The director of the last school I worked at overly-favoured the one blonde teacher. She got given month-long and two-month long holidays every year to go home and visit family, while everyone else had to work. If you were a male teacher, you practically had to fight just for one day off in the year. The directors face got all smiley and  stupid whenever around the blonde, and he gave a gushing speech about how wonderful she was on her last day, what an excellent teacher etc. Everyone had to clap. In reality she seemed no better at teaching than any of the other teachers. By contrast, other, longer-serving and more popular teachers had left the school with barely a goodbye. If you were a male teacher or had dark hair, he always looked at you like nothing you did was ever good enough.

Does it even cross Koreans minds that its wrong to discriminate so blatantly between people based on their appearance?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:14:42 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: The Korean bias in favour of blondes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »
I think it's one of those memes largely peculiar to Waygook and similar sites. The job advert specifying 'blonde American female' probably exists to as great an extent as the degree in basket weaving.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:19:21 AM »
I'm curious, would this girl you speak of OP be pretty by Western standards or by Korean standards.  I've notice Koreans will find Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson ugly but be madly in love with guy/girls who have huge noses and big gummy smiles.  And they will tell you how much of a better teacher they are and how the children just seem to looooooove them  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've had coworkers like this that always seemed to be the Star Teachers at any school I worked at.  I agree OP I don't know what's their magic.  After I shadowed someone like this, I was like, I do all the same things they are doing.  They aren't inventing the wheel  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It just seems like the whiter the skin, the bigger the nose, and the larger the gums the more you seem to be admired and treated like a God/Goddess in this country.   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:22:50 AM by Piggydee »

Offline m.corless

• Veteran

Offline hightowerra

• Waygookin
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »
As someone who is a blonde female teacher here, I can say that in my experience this is true. Even if it's not with my principal or coworkers, I'm more popular among students than some of my friends who do not have my same features. I've visited some other NETs schools before just to observe and have found that their coworkers and students are always EXTREMELY fascinated when I walk in the room. Some of this might be just because I'm a new person that they haven't seen before so it makes it more exciting, but my friends tell me after I leave that their students and coworkers ask them about me for the next couple days. "Who is she? How do you know her? What's her job? Wow, she's so pretty. She must be a good teacher." I would definitely NOT consider myself someone who is all that attractive, and not any better teacher than any of my friends, but it seems that just having blonde hair and blue eyes gives me an advantage in Koreans' eyes. At least the ones I've encountered. I'm also fairly tall (5'8/173) for a woman, especially in Korea, so maybe that plays in as well. I have no clue. It honestly baffles me every time it happens because, as I said, I'm not anything special.

Offline AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »
I'm curious, would this girl you speak of OP be pretty by Western standards or by Korean standards.  I've notice Koreans will find Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson ugly but be madly in love with guy/girls who have huge noses and big gummy smiles.  And they will tell you how much of a better teacher they are and how the children just seem to looooooove them  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've had coworkers like this that always seemed to be the Star Teachers at any school I worked at.  I agree OP I don't know what's their magic.  After I shadowed someone like this, I was like, I do all the same things they are doing.  They aren't inventing the wheel  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It just seems like the whiter the skin, the bigger the nose, and the larger the gums the more you seem to be admired and treated like a God/Goddess in this country.   :rolleyes:

Haters gonna hate  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »

Haters gonna hate  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well not really hatin', just confused.   :huh:  But I don't have anything to "hate at" anymore as I'm the only foreign teacher at my school and plan on renewing for another year.  My school treats me with all the respect.  I feel blessed to be in the position I'm in now 8)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »

The director of the last school I worked at overly-favoured the one blonde teacher. She got given month-long and two-month long holidays every year to go home and visit family, while everyone else had to work. If you were a male teacher, you practically had to fight just for one day off in the year. The directors face got all smiley and  stupid whenever around the blonde, and he gave a gushing speech about how wonderful she was on her last day, what an excellent teacher etc. Everyone had to clap. In reality she seemed no better at teaching than any of the other teachers. By contrast, other, longer-serving and more popular teachers had left the school with barely a goodbye. If you were a male teacher or had dark hair, he always looked at you like nothing you did was ever good enough.

Does it even cross Koreans minds that its wrong to discriminate so blatantly between people based on their appearance?

Breaking news, boss goes gaga over the blonde and gives her special treatment. Happens everywhere, buddy.
Blondes/blonds are just more exotic in Korea and will get a lot of positive attention.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
Wow, she's so pretty. She must be a good teacher."

Most westerners would never even say those sentences, they are aware that appearance does not necessarily indicate ability. But Koreans are so unashamedly shallow and simple-minded, they do not even realize how stupid that sounds. 

There is one drawback to being the blonde teacher though. They will overload you with classes until you snap. They want to maximize your exposure to the customers.

So anyhow, the gym owner of the block decided to offer her free membership for a year. Never mind that she was married and gave nothing in return except conversation. Nothing against her, of course. She's simply making the most of what comes her way. Still, the Korean was so awestruck by those recessive genes that he lost control. There he was with his big-eyed enthusiasm nodding and smiling like a cheshire cat at every word she said. How dumb!  :laugh:

Catch my drift?

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
Wow, she's so pretty. She must be a good teacher."

Most westerners would never even say those sentences, they are aware that appearance does not necessarily indicate ability. But Koreans are so unashamedly shallow and simple-minded, they do not even realize how stupid that sounds. 

There is one drawback to being the blonde teacher though. They will overload you with classes until you snap. They want to maximize your exposure to the customers.

So anyhow, the gym owner of the block decided to offer her free membership for a year. Never mind that she was married and gave nothing in return except conversation. Nothing against her, of course. She's simply making the most of what comes her way. Still, the Korean was so awestruck by those recessive genes that he lost control. There he was with his big-eyed enthusiasm nodding and smiling like a cheshire cat at every word she said. How dumb!  :laugh:

Haha, dude, that's just Korea, use it to your advantage.
In the public school setting though, appearances DO go a long way, but nothing is going to save a teacher with a shitty attitude, has no enthusiasm or just sucks at teaching. The simple solution is to just, look good at work; dress well, be in shape, be groomed, don't stink and take care of your skin and teeth.

The gym owner is using an old tactic that many gym owners have been using for years, though mainly with high school girls and attractive females. One Korean chick at the gym I used to go to told me she got paid to train there during the busy hours. Word gets around that a certain gym has hot girls and the owner sees an influx of new members.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
don't stink
this is, apparently, a big problem with many of the native teachers at my wife's english kindergarten. they stink (even the girls!). apparently they are all from canada for some reason. ha  :-[

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »

Breaking news, boss goes gaga over the blonde and gives her special treatment. Happens everywhere, buddy.
Blondes/blonds are just more exotic in Korea and will get a lot of positive attention.

Happens in Mexico too.   Put blonde hair on a 50 year old overweight North-American female and all the men
seem to lose any common sense they once had.

For me it's the opposite I suppose, yellow fever and all.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
 I didn't see many blondes at the EPIK orientation. I saw quite a few African Americans and lots of Kyopos. Of the small minority of white blondes you see on the street quite a few are either in the US military exchange students or tourists. Most that do teach ESL usually just stay for one year and go back home. Quite a few of them work for hogwans as part of a couple package. usually they will have a good looking boyfriend as part of the deal. So the director only has to rent one apartment and gets two good looking young teachers at the same time.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 08:00:28 AM »
One Korean chick at the gym I used to go to told me she got paid to train there during the busy hours. Word gets around that a certain gym has hot girls and the owner sees an influx of new members.
Wish the owner of my gym would do this.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
As someone who is a blonde female teacher here, I can say that in my experience this is true. Even if it's not with my principal or coworkers, I'm more popular among students than some of my friends who do not have my same features. I've visited some other NETs schools before just to observe and have found that their coworkers and students are always EXTREMELY fascinated when I walk in the room. Some of this might be just because I'm a new person that they haven't seen before so it makes it more exciting, but my friends tell me after I leave that their students and coworkers ask them about me for the next couple days. "Who is she? How do you know her? What's her job? Wow, she's so pretty. She must be a good teacher." I would definitely NOT consider myself someone who is all that attractive, and not any better teacher than any of my friends, but it seems that just having blonde hair and blue eyes gives me an advantage in Koreans' eyes. At least the ones I've encountered. I'm also fairly tall (5'8/173) for a woman, especially in Korea, so maybe that plays in as well. I have no clue. It honestly baffles me every time it happens because, as I said, I'm not anything special.

Dark haired light eyed older white dude here.  I get the same reaction when I visit schools.  Average height 5, 10' ish guy.  Not sure what makes some Koreans latch onto some while not others.  Weird.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
There's definitely a bias for exotic appeal.

And there's nothing more exotic than blonde hair in Korea.

But it isn't the only thing. When trying to fulfill a fantasy or a particular image, though, stereotypes tend to reign supreme.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
The truth is too many Koreans worship white people, but most of all they love to worship blondes.
I can go as far as to say that too many Koreans do have an Aryan complex in their mentalities to a
point that even a red haired white Native English teacher could be discriminated against in a hagwon.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
One Korean chick at the gym I used to go to told me she got paid to train there during the busy hours. Word gets around that a certain gym has hot girls and the owner sees an influx of new members.
Wish the owner of my gym would do this.

Sounds good in theory.

In reality, you're going to have a crowded weight area with a bunch of people hogging the rack to pump out little 40kg squats. You'll also have a bunch of sensitive/jealous pricks interfering with your workout. Last year, I was going for a power clean PR and managed to do it. This skinny-fat, doughy, bowl cut, ouma's boy squealed to the management that I was making too much noise stomping my feet on the ground during a power clean.

When it's not peak hours, just the regular guys are there and everyone's just getting down to business and getting gains.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Sounds good in theory.

In reality, you're going to have a crowded weight area with a bunch of people hogging the rack to pump out little 40kg squats. You'll also have a bunch of sensitive/jealous pricks interfering with your workout. Last year, I was going for a power clean PR and managed to do it. This skinny-fat, doughy, bowl cut, ouma's boy squealed to the management that I was making too much noise stomping my feet on the ground during a power clean.

When it's not peak hours, just the regular guys are there and everyone's just getting down to business and getting gains.

I guess it depends on the gym, too, and the community pressure for what's considered acceptable.

Since I've started going to my current gym, been there for a little over a year now (left my previous gym because there was a lot of creepy behavior and management wasn't doing anything to stop it), membership has more than doubled, and most of the new members are people in their twenties and thirties, although there are still plenty of older people. I've been told by the cleaning ladies that it's because word got around that a foreigner was working out there, and everyone was curious about what the foreigner was doing (keep in mind that most of the new members are men, and that I'm the only foreigner in the gym).

Despite this, though, etiquette has actually dramatically improved at my gym. I think this is mostly to do with the majority of new members being younger than 40, and the gym owners, being older men, going through the proper behavior with new members. The rest is conformity. New people come in, watch what everyone else is doing, and follow suit. People who don't conform tend not to last very long at my gym anyway.

There's a lot more sweating going on in my gym now, too. People are actually running on the treadmills instead of just walking, and trying to lift more instead of doing the standard one set. This has all come about from people trying to watch and then compete with me, especially men, because there's a lot of a shame when a woman can outlift you, lmao.