March 25, 2019, 01:52:56 AM

Author Topic: Koreans who overuse the phrase "Of course!"  (Read 2448 times)

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Koreans who overuse the phrase "Of course!"
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:29:26 PM »
Has anyone else noticed this? Koreans tend to say "of course!" when a simple "yes" would suffice.

You: So, shall I put these books in that cupboard?
Manager: Of course!
You: I'm just guessing because..nobody actually said where to put them. So do you take sugar in your coffee?
Manager: Of course!

You can imagine this can get a bit trying after a while.

Actually I nearly knocked my old bosses skull in for constantly doing this. Every question you asked he'd immediately answer "of course!" making it seem like you were stupid and the answer was obvious- when it clearly wasn't, at all. In the end I did indeed have a shouting match with him, but I never got to tell him how rude it sounds to answer every genuine question that way.

I had a supervisor come out with it a few times.. and now I've even noticed the doctor at my clinic doing it. Is this just one of those Korean glitches in the English-learning process, or are they really being that arrogant?
Catch my drift?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
Re: Koreans who overuse the phrase "Of course!"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:59:41 AM »
The saying is very famous.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:58:43 AM »
There are quite a few that are overused, but I can't think of any right now except "to be honest".

This isn't a Korean only thing by the way,  I have a Chinese/Canadian friend who uses the above phrase

way too much.   I've also noticed that he seems to say the opposite of what he is trying to say and then

when I answer him he always says "that's what I'm saying".   

I can't think of a good example "at the moment",  but c'est la vie.

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
I have no problems with the heavily-used expression as long as it's used appropriately.

But "Okay" is used wrongly waaaaay too often here. Pet peeve!

"Did you have a good weekend?"
"Okay."

"Is this your bag?"
"Okay."

"Are you tired?"
"Okay!"

Offline orange6ur1

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
I have no problems with the heavily-used expression as long as it's used appropriately.

"Okay."

"Is this your bag?"
"Okay."

"Are you tired?"
"Okay!"

^hahaha so true hehehe... or hearing “cheer up” (aka, 힘내) but what they really mean is “you can do it” or another expression to give their support/encouragement.
(Edit) btw i don’t really care, it’s just funny to hear. Like..funny in an endearing way. Not that i’m actually annoyed or offended. Just funny. Errr plz don’t read too much into this comment  :laugh: :cheesy:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:07:57 PM by orange6ur1 »

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »

"Okay."

"Is this your bag?"
"Okay."

"Are you tired?"
"Okay!"

I find that "okay" is usually used when:

- The listener doesn't understand what you said and instead of admitting it, will just say OK... pretty universal
  though.
- They're not interested in continuing the conversation. I've called assh*les out for parking across the entrance to
  my apartment and one guy for setting up a damn veg stall right in front of the entrance. They'll respond with
  "Ok, ok," but instead of moving, they'll just stay there. It's just a way of saying "piss off" by those too chicken to
   say it.

You'll definitely hear Koreans overuse certain phrases (I'm fine thank you and you?). It's just the massive differences between English (a global language created from multiple languages) and Korean, a languages completely isolated to
one region.

Korean has a single cultural component, just like Japanese, where particular phrases have become completely standardised with standard responses eg.

- 안녕하세요 is the standard greeting
- Words like Fighting! or Nisuu! are the standard in a given situation
- itte kimasu (Japanese) standard greeting for leaving a house
- yoroshiku onegai shimasu (Japanese) 'Please take care of me', standard reply when entering into a relationship business/personal with someone.

English doesn't really have as many standard greetings or replies as solidified as Korean or Japanese, as there's a multiple cultural component. Yes, there's "Nice, to meet you" and "How do you do?, but other than that, there's not much else. Americans will have completely different expressions and sayings to Australians and even then, regional differences will vary greatly.

I've never met a Korean English teacher who quite understood this. Naturally, they impose the Korean structure that a specific English statement has a standard reply, like an Asian language. So, when you say you're sick, they'll simply reply with "that's too bad", as they've been taught it's the standard reply in English. When you say you're going to do something they'll respond with "Have a good time".
Generally, English is still thought of and taught as a code to simply decipher into Korean.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »
That girl I came to Korea for, she would always say "I'll!" when asked at work if someone wanted to do something extra-curricular.

I'll go? I will? Cool.

I'll sounds so weird! haha
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 05:34:58 AM »
They're trying to use colloquial English and fit in a bit more. It's probably something they saw recommended in a Korean book about English. If they just said "yes" all the time you'd complain about them being robotic. English speakers have dozens of words for anything which they constantly switch up to not sound repetitive. It's hard for Koreans to get to the level of using words like "yep," "uh-huh," etc. 
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 07:33:35 AM »
The phrase that used to annoy me here was "Check about it"   :cry:  It ruined the Beyonce song "Check on it" for me. :cry:

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »
Generally, English is still thought of and taught as a code to simply decipher into Korean.

Love this!

Nice post Aristocrat, just didn't want to take up too much space by quoting the whole thing.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
That girl I came to Korea for, she would always say "I'll!" when asked at work if someone wanted to do something extra-curricular.

I'll go? I will? Cool.

I'll sounds so weird! haha

It is what it's.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »

"Okay."

"Is this your bag?"
"Okay."

"Are you tired?"
"Okay!"

Yes, I've noticed this for a while as well.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »
Judging by the number of threads you create on here I'll have a guess that you absolutely badger the shit out of your co teachers/ managers and they're sick of the sight of you so instead of saying yes they say of course but you haven't taken the hint yet.  :wink:
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
"nothing special" is one i notice a lot

how was your weekend?
nothing special

how's it going?
nothing special

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
It is what it's.

You had a golden opportunity.

It's what it's.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
For years they used to misuse "Long time, no see." 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 11:39:17 AM »
Me: How are you?!

K-pal: Yes.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
For years they used to misuse "Long time, no see."

I misuse that, myself. Along with 'Good morning' - but mostly to be comical. :p

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 03:59:00 PM »
I just chalk it up to living in another country and spesking each others languages. I figure I probably do something that could be construed as rude so why not be forgiving?

Now if its in the classroom thats another matter. Or if its some guy at a bar being an ass. But your coworker with limited English skill? Lighten up Francis.

Offline tryingtogettokorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
Because they translate things weird here. I don't understand who makes these translations. Yet, correcting them does nothing cause they won't believe you for some reason. Like "cheer up." In my students book video, there was a race and at the finish line all the people were chanting "cheer up cheer up!" it was so weird, I almost laughed.