January 20, 2019, 11:59:59 AM

Author Topic: Trip To England  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: Trip To England
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 07:21:17 AM »
Umm How can I do Dublin?  Do I need to take a flight or is there a train?

Did you really ask that?

No what I meant to say could I tellaport there.  I stand by what I said LOL

Did you really just say that?

Yep.  Sorry if it ruined your day :smiley:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »

Did you really ask that?

Well, there is a train to France, so it isnít that ridiculous.

Online sligo

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »

Did you really ask that?

The train to France opens up mmainland Europe, and is a tunnel.  A bridge to Ireland over one of the most temperamental bidies of water would be the thing of a Michael Bay film.  But maybe it could be a future thing....if we really need potatoes!  The hydrofoil goes from Hollyhead to Dublin port.  3 hours crossing time, but it can get very, very choppy!  Flights would be cheaper, but budget airlines seldom visit the larger airports.  You may have to fly into Knock or Cork and they are a good few hours dtive to Dublin.  But, thrre are wnough budget airlines, that 1 or 2 may fly to Dublin.

York is a good place to spend a feww days immersed in history, and Leeds is a 30 min train ride away,and is basically the shopping capital of the north of England, which in turn is a 30 min or so train ride to Manchester.

Edinburgh is 3.5 hours train ridr from London, but, if you buy tickets on the day of travel could cost about 200,000₩ return.  If you have a friend in the UK, have them buy you advanced tickets.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »

Did you really ask that?

The train to France opens up mmainland Europe, and is a tunnel.  A bridge to Ireland over one of the most temperamental bidies of water would be the thing of a Michael Bay film.  But maybe it could be a future thing....if we really need potatoes!  The hydrofoil goes from Hollyhead to Dublin port.  3 hours crossing time, but it can get very, very choppy!  Flights would be cheaper, but budget airlines seldom visit the larger airports.  You may have to fly into Knock or Cork and they are a good few hours dtive to Dublin.  But, thrre are wnough budget airlines, that 1 or 2 may fly to Dublin.

York is a good place to spend a feww days immersed in history, and Leeds is a 30 min train ride away,and is basically the shopping capital of the north of England, which in turn is a 30 min or so train ride to Manchester.

Edinburgh is 3.5 hours train ridr from London, but, if you buy tickets on the day of travel could cost about 200,000₩ return.  If you have a friend in the UK, have them buy you advanced tickets.

Just to add to that. Ryanair flies to Dublin, I don't think Easyjet does. The chances of the Holyhead hydrofoil crossing taking place in February are about fifty fifty, so basically don't rely on it - it takes 2 hours, the slow boat 3 and a quarter. You can't even rely on the big ferries running in winter, I booked one once and all ferries were cancelled for three days. Got the plane in the end. Knock is a dodgy airport, built on top of a hill with strong winds all the time. The chances of being diverted/having a bumpy landing are higher than in other places.  You can buy train tickets for the UK online in advance, I do it all the time.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
Okay guys so I'm kind of cleaning up my itinerary.  How does this sound.

So far I've written out this:

London 1-4 days.

Leave for Bath by train late on the 4th day.

Bath/ Stonehenge days 5-6

Leave Bath late on the 6th day

Liverpool/Chester days 7-8.

Leave Liverpool on the 8th day to go to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh days 9 -10

Morning of the 11th day (or night of the 10th day) Go to York

York days 11- 12? Maybe (or maybe one day in York and One day in Manchester??)
13th day go back to London to be ready to leave on the 14th day.

Is this too much. I really really wanted to factor in Belfast into my trip but the back and forth by plane seemed a little on the pricey side for me. Could I factor in Belfast? Just asking.  Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »

London 1-4 days.

Edinburgh days 9 -10

Is this too much. I really really wanted to factor in Belfast into my trip but the back and forth by plane seemed a little on the pricey side for me. Could I factor in Belfast? Just asking.  Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

You've got a good mix there. Going back in time, Victorian grandeur - Liverpool, 18th century elegance - Bath and Edinburgh new town, 16th century quaintness - Chester, Middle Age squalour - York and Edinburgh old town,  Viking remains - York, Roman ruins - Chester and Bath and ancient mystery - Stonehenge. Not sure Belfast would add anything to that unless you check out the interesting murals on the Falls Rd. 

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »

Did you really ask that?

No what I meant to say could I tellaport there.  I stand by what I said LOL

Did you really just say that?

Yep.  Sorry if it ruined your day :smiley:

I'm a level 120 mage with portal magic to various locations. :p

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »

London 1-4 days.

Edinburgh days 9 -10

You've got a good mix there. Going back in time, Victorian grandeur - Liverpool, 18th century elegance - Bath and Edinburgh new town, 16th century quaintness - Chester, Middle Age squalour - York and Edinburgh old town,  Viking remains - York, Roman ruins - Chester and Bath and ancient mystery - Stonehenge. Not sure Belfast would add anything to that unless you check out the interesting murals on the Falls Rd.

Thanks, I'm feeling pretty sold about this itinerary despite forgoing Northern Ireland.  Manchester though...is that even possible?  I do have a friend there but she offered up to come to London while I was in town.  I probably have to make a double room accommodation so she can stay with me.  Umm and I'm not a big soccer/football fan but I will watch it in a bar if it's on.  And I do bandwagon it for the World Cup but otherwise not insane about seeing Manchester United memorabilia.  I kind of took a look online of Manchester and it looks like most American cities (giving me a Chicago/Philadelphia vibe)  Is it possible to go to Manchester while I'm doing the 4 days in London?   

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »
I just went to the UK last May. Also did a year abroad in Glasgow almost 20 years ago.

Edinburgh is a tourist trap now, but if you're just there for a couple days it will at least keep you occupied. Glasgow is way better and in my opinion the best city in the UK but it isn't a tourist town and might seem boring if you don't have much time to spend there. Could easily do one day in Edinburgh and 1 day in Glasgow, they're an hour train ride apart. I never liked London but that is just me. It's just kinda ugly and crowded. It's very touristy but it has tons of museums which are decent. Liverpool and Manchester felt like generic big cities, after Korea you might be wondering what the big deal is.

Also unless the weather has changed you might find Glasgow a bit warmer than London in winter, it sits in a bowl of hills that keeps it from getting cold. Unfortunately the rest of the year it doesn't get any warmer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:07:12 PM by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
A good selection. London and Edinburgh are musts, of course. Totally different cities.

There's so much more to Liverpool than people think but unless you've a guide you won't see much more than the city centre. Merseyside on the whole is my favourite part of the UK.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
Thanks guys I went ahead on the Trainline app and purchased most of my tickets to get to a from places.  I also switched York and Edinburgh and made Edinburgh the last place before flying back to London.  My British friend told me that would be a better route.  I'm curious, if you miss your train because you didn't make the connection on time (I noticed some of the connections are only 7 mins  :huh:) can you just hop on the next train or is your ticket rendered in valid?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks guys I went ahead on the Trainline app and purchased most of my tickets to get to a from places.  I also switched York and Edinburgh and made Edinburgh the last place before flying back to London.  My British friend told me that would be a better route.  I'm curious, if you miss your train because you didn't make the connection on time (I noticed some of the connections are only 7 mins  :huh:) can you just hop on the next train or is your ticket rendered in valid?

I think they should let you through if one train was delayed as long as you don't have separate tickets.

If your trip involves a lot of train travel then you may get to experience the "replacement bus service".