March 26, 2019, 09:09:25 PM

Author Topic: Trip To England  (Read 2128 times)

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: Trip To England
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 07:21:17 AM »
Umm How can I do Dublin?  Do I need to take a flight or is there a train?

Did you really ask that?

No what I meant to say could I tellaport there.  I stand by what I said LOL

Did you really just say that?

Yep.  Sorry if it ruined your day :smiley:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »

Did you really ask that?

Well, there is a train to France, so it isnít that ridiculous.

sligo

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »

Did you really ask that?

The train to France opens up mmainland Europe, and is a tunnel.  A bridge to Ireland over one of the most temperamental bidies of water would be the thing of a Michael Bay film.  But maybe it could be a future thing....if we really need potatoes!  The hydrofoil goes from Hollyhead to Dublin port.  3 hours crossing time, but it can get very, very choppy!  Flights would be cheaper, but budget airlines seldom visit the larger airports.  You may have to fly into Knock or Cork and they are a good few hours dtive to Dublin.  But, thrre are wnough budget airlines, that 1 or 2 may fly to Dublin.

York is a good place to spend a feww days immersed in history, and Leeds is a 30 min train ride away,and is basically the shopping capital of the north of England, which in turn is a 30 min or so train ride to Manchester.

Edinburgh is 3.5 hours train ridr from London, but, if you buy tickets on the day of travel could cost about 200,000₩ return.  If you have a friend in the UK, have them buy you advanced tickets.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »

Did you really ask that?

The train to France opens up mmainland Europe, and is a tunnel.  A bridge to Ireland over one of the most temperamental bidies of water would be the thing of a Michael Bay film.  But maybe it could be a future thing....if we really need potatoes!  The hydrofoil goes from Hollyhead to Dublin port.  3 hours crossing time, but it can get very, very choppy!  Flights would be cheaper, but budget airlines seldom visit the larger airports.  You may have to fly into Knock or Cork and they are a good few hours dtive to Dublin.  But, thrre are wnough budget airlines, that 1 or 2 may fly to Dublin.

York is a good place to spend a feww days immersed in history, and Leeds is a 30 min train ride away,and is basically the shopping capital of the north of England, which in turn is a 30 min or so train ride to Manchester.

Edinburgh is 3.5 hours train ridr from London, but, if you buy tickets on the day of travel could cost about 200,000₩ return.  If you have a friend in the UK, have them buy you advanced tickets.

Just to add to that. Ryanair flies to Dublin, I don't think Easyjet does. The chances of the Holyhead hydrofoil crossing taking place in February are about fifty fifty, so basically don't rely on it - it takes 2 hours, the slow boat 3 and a quarter. You can't even rely on the big ferries running in winter, I booked one once and all ferries were cancelled for three days. Got the plane in the end. Knock is a dodgy airport, built on top of a hill with strong winds all the time. The chances of being diverted/having a bumpy landing are higher than in other places.  You can buy train tickets for the UK online in advance, I do it all the time.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 07:35:54 AM »
Okay guys so I'm kind of cleaning up my itinerary.  How does this sound.

So far I've written out this:

London 1-4 days.

Leave for Bath by train late on the 4th day.

Bath/ Stonehenge days 5-6

Leave Bath late on the 6th day

Liverpool/Chester days 7-8.

Leave Liverpool on the 8th day to go to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh days 9 -10

Morning of the 11th day (or night of the 10th day) Go to York

York days 11- 12? Maybe (or maybe one day in York and One day in Manchester??)
13th day go back to London to be ready to leave on the 14th day.

Is this too much. I really really wanted to factor in Belfast into my trip but the back and forth by plane seemed a little on the pricey side for me. Could I factor in Belfast? Just asking.  Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »

London 1-4 days.

Edinburgh days 9 -10

Is this too much. I really really wanted to factor in Belfast into my trip but the back and forth by plane seemed a little on the pricey side for me. Could I factor in Belfast? Just asking.  Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

You've got a good mix there. Going back in time, Victorian grandeur - Liverpool, 18th century elegance - Bath and Edinburgh new town, 16th century quaintness - Chester, Middle Age squalour - York and Edinburgh old town,  Viking remains - York, Roman ruins - Chester and Bath and ancient mystery - Stonehenge. Not sure Belfast would add anything to that unless you check out the interesting murals on the Falls Rd. 

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »

Did you really ask that?

No what I meant to say could I tellaport there.  I stand by what I said LOL

Did you really just say that?

Yep.  Sorry if it ruined your day :smiley:

I'm a level 120 mage with portal magic to various locations. :p

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »

London 1-4 days.

Edinburgh days 9 -10

You've got a good mix there. Going back in time, Victorian grandeur - Liverpool, 18th century elegance - Bath and Edinburgh new town, 16th century quaintness - Chester, Middle Age squalour - York and Edinburgh old town,  Viking remains - York, Roman ruins - Chester and Bath and ancient mystery - Stonehenge. Not sure Belfast would add anything to that unless you check out the interesting murals on the Falls Rd.

Thanks, I'm feeling pretty sold about this itinerary despite forgoing Northern Ireland.  Manchester though...is that even possible?  I do have a friend there but she offered up to come to London while I was in town.  I probably have to make a double room accommodation so she can stay with me.  Umm and I'm not a big soccer/football fan but I will watch it in a bar if it's on.  And I do bandwagon it for the World Cup but otherwise not insane about seeing Manchester United memorabilia.  I kind of took a look online of Manchester and it looks like most American cities (giving me a Chicago/Philadelphia vibe)  Is it possible to go to Manchester while I'm doing the 4 days in London?   

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »
I just went to the UK last May. Also did a year abroad in Glasgow almost 20 years ago.

Edinburgh is a tourist trap now, but if you're just there for a couple days it will at least keep you occupied. Glasgow is way better and in my opinion the best city in the UK but it isn't a tourist town and might seem boring if you don't have much time to spend there. Could easily do one day in Edinburgh and 1 day in Glasgow, they're an hour train ride apart. I never liked London but that is just me. It's just kinda ugly and crowded. It's very touristy but it has tons of museums which are decent. Liverpool and Manchester felt like generic big cities, after Korea you might be wondering what the big deal is.

Also unless the weather has changed you might find Glasgow a bit warmer than London in winter, it sits in a bowl of hills that keeps it from getting cold. Unfortunately the rest of the year it doesn't get any warmer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:07:12 PM by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
A good selection. London and Edinburgh are musts, of course. Totally different cities.

There's so much more to Liverpool than people think but unless you've a guide you won't see much more than the city centre. Merseyside on the whole is my favourite part of the UK.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
Thanks guys I went ahead on the Trainline app and purchased most of my tickets to get to a from places.  I also switched York and Edinburgh and made Edinburgh the last place before flying back to London.  My British friend told me that would be a better route.  I'm curious, if you miss your train because you didn't make the connection on time (I noticed some of the connections are only 7 mins  :huh:) can you just hop on the next train or is your ticket rendered in valid?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks guys I went ahead on the Trainline app and purchased most of my tickets to get to a from places.  I also switched York and Edinburgh and made Edinburgh the last place before flying back to London.  My British friend told me that would be a better route.  I'm curious, if you miss your train because you didn't make the connection on time (I noticed some of the connections are only 7 mins  :huh:) can you just hop on the next train or is your ticket rendered in valid?

I think they should let you through if one train was delayed as long as you don't have separate tickets.

If your trip involves a lot of train travel then you may get to experience the "replacement bus service".

Online CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 09:00:09 AM »
I'm curious, if you miss your train because you didn't make the connection on time (I noticed some of the connections are only 7 mins  :huh:) can you just hop on the next train or is your ticket rendered in valid?

Yes, it is invalid. They make you pay for a new one. But with the prices of tickets, I am pretty sure most people try not to miss their trains.  :laugh:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »
I'm curious, if you miss your train because you didn't make the connection on time (I noticed some of the connections are only 7 mins  :huh:) can you just hop on the next train or is your ticket rendered in valid?

Yes, it is invalid. They make you pay for a new one. But with the prices of tickets, I am pretty sure most people try not to miss their trains.  :laugh:

Done this a fair few times  :cry:

Also... if you pay using a railcard discount...and can't produce the railcard as well as the ticket on inspection (y'know if you're a moron like me) then you can't even just pay the difference...they invalidate the whole ticket and make you buy a full fare ticket on the spot.

I hate public transport in the U.K. (even when the problems are caused by myself...)

Online CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Done this a fair few times  :cry:

Also... if you pay using a railcard discount...and can't produce the railcard as well as the ticket on inspection (y'know if you're a moron like me) then you can't even just pay the difference...they invalidate the whole ticket and make you buy a full fare ticket on the spot.

I hate public transport in the U.K. (even when the problems are caused by myself...)

Yeah even if you say you can show them the online confirmation on the railcard website and expiry date, they don't accept it!  >:( Full fare tickets are so damn expensive it's ridiculous.

I generally hate transport in England too. Once I was travelling to the outskirts of London from Victoria, I was in a hurry because the train was leaving and got on the first carriage (didn't realize it was first class and sat down), ticket lady comes through and made me pay a hefty fine on the spot. I had a travel card for the month but it didn't include first class. She could have just told me to move since I don't have a habit of doing this. After that experience, never got on first class again  :laugh:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 08:04:03 AM »
Just got back from what felt like a whirlwind vacation!!  I have to agree the train system in the UK is a bit of a doozy.  Especially out of London where they tell you what platform to go to and only give you about less then 10 mins to get to said platform.  No time to be a fresh out of water tourist at that point.  Otherwise I made all my train connections on time!  Even on my last day in London when I had to get to Gatwick airport from Standsted.  Kind of sucks that I could not use my oyster card to make that trip but quickly found a cheap train ticket to get me from point A to B about two days before.   That route was a doozy too.  How the hell are your going to ask people to ride a train and the tube.  It mind boggled me but apparently you can use your train ticket for both and don't need to bounce back to the Oyster card as I thought I needed to.  I asked a subway staffer and he told me all about it.  Thankfully those few minutes of asking didn't cause me to miss my connections.

My overall impressions of the UK

London:  WOW, this is the BIG BAD CITY, as my Bath tour guide told me LOL.  As an American I have yet to go to New York but I have been to other big cities like Shanghi and Beijing and THIS PLACE right here really makes a city girl like me head spin.  The tube is user friendly AS LONG AS YOU keep directional key words in mind (i.e. Northbound line, Southbound line etc.)  Otherwise you will go in the opposite direction.  Still more user friendly than Japan's subway system.  The diversity is top notch!   People are generally nice and a lot of people found me hilarious.  I was warned of thieves and muggers ect.  but people generally minded their own business.  I love the energy that London gave off but honestly I found Paris to be a little more my speed.  Just enough Busy, Just enough energy.  It sucks because I loved Paris but don't speak French.  London was really awesome though and surprised to find people willing to help me with my luggage up the stairs (for the times I couldn't locate a lift easily, BUT THE LIFTS WERE HELPFUL!)  I don't know if I could live in London since I found the prices to be a little over inflated and I blew throw 400PD pretty quickly in the 3 days I was there.  Otherwise, I really loved my time there

Bath:  This place was just the peace and quiet that I needed.  Wow, talk about English country side.  It's nice to take a stroll through parks and feel lost.  The historical sites were awesome and the food was delicious.   And the Stonehenge tour the next day was excellent as we got to see even more English country side houses. 

Liverpool:  This place was just right.  I guess I could see myself living here.   It has all the feels of London but a little more scaled down for pace.  People there are really groovy and the city is big enough to get a good feel for in in just a couple of days.  Loved this place.

York:  Interesting place!  Gave me a lot of Colmar, France vibes.  Glad I checked it out!  It was nice to go to this area of England as it feels more British than anything.  Great place!

Edinburgh:  Wow, truly unique place!  It does feel like a completely different country!  The people speak a little differently and the pace is different too!  Got to see some Highland Coos and visit a couple of Lochs!  Really spirited vibes I got here! 

My only little bit of sad bit was that I wasn't able to bring back any UK souvenir money (like a bank note of a few pounds or so) because ALL MY money was virtually spent by the time I was ready to leave.  I should have trusted that one youtube video about the UK that I saw that said "You will leave with little money."  NO joke!   Seriously 800,000Won doesn't get you too far when it's dropped down to 500PD :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Seriously to anyone that wants to go to the UK, take atleast 2,000USD with you.  I obviously didn't have that much but man this is one country you really can't just do on a whim like Malaysia, the Philippines or say Japan.  You really have to have all your money right before you go!  Heed this advice if you plan on visiting the UK anytime soon. 

BTW THE WAY, I'd really like to encourage people to go to the UK in 2021 as the Big Ben will have all the construction removed from the area.  I went there and Westminister Abby was just as tarp-y and scaffold'ed as it's transformer looking cousin.  Kind of  a bummer, but the London Eye and London Bridge were looking nice so those made up for it's under construction icons.   :cheesy:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:13:37 AM by Piggydee »

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2019, 08:27:41 AM »
Glad you had a blast.

Believe it or not, the current exchange rate has been a huge benefit for you...a few years ago, 800k won wouldíve barely gotten you £400!

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »
Glad you had a blast.

Believe it or not, the current exchange rate has been a huge benefit for you...a few years ago, 800k won wouldíve barely gotten you £400!

You know you're not the only one that has said that to me.   Lots of people are telling me I traveled on a good time right now.  Really because I don't see how having let's say having $1000 USD will get you only £700.  i mean if you are only going to do London for less then an week then I say that's great otherwise start looking into BegPacking. 

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Now we know where and how the idea of begpacking originally came about  :laugh: :laugh:

I just returned from London myself a few weeks ago...despite having a place to stay for free, I ended up spending in excess of 2 million won over about 14 days...about half of that on transport! (Buses, trains, and the car I rented).

The full English I had almost everyday alone made all that money worth it.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:13 AM »
Now we know where and how the idea of begpacking originally came about  :laugh: :laugh:

I just returned from London myself a few weeks ago...despite having a place to stay for free, I ended up spending in excess of 2 million won over about 14 days...about half of that on transport! (Buses, trains, and the car I rented).

The full English I had almost everyday alone made all that money worth it.

Awww yes the Full English and Chippies.

I FINALLY GOT TO HAVE A CHEEKY NANDOS (Which I missed out on in South Africa)  Ummm It's good.  I don't know but I'm so wired on BHC here in Korea that I'm not sure how I can function without it.  But yeah it's good, not going to knock it.   8)